By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware doubles down on Anthem as pressure mounts [Kotaku]

gergroy said:
I’m sure anthem will be fine and all will be good and right in the world. However, if it struggles I would be ticked if EA closed Bioware. They are my favorite studio and one game does not undo all the good they have done.

I’m sure it will be great, it just annoys me that they are even talking about it!😡

I'd be fine with them closing them at this point in time. I've lost all hope since DAI and atm I simply wouldn't care because Bioware is long dead, as it seems to me.

They are basically a new team, or even several new teams. It's just another EA studio these days and most people responsible for the classic greats don't even work there anymore. Bioware is just a brand name...there is no soul left and I won't believe otherwise until I see they can indeed change for the better. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
SuperNova said:

Absolutely agree. I don't really get it most of the time, but then you hear stories like the one about the demise of factor 5 and realise, you usually don't know the full extent of whats going on until after the fact. Even with several very successfull games under their belt an indie studio usually can't survive more than three consecutive projects that fall through for one reason or another. Just like Platnuim games has been skirting the edge of bankcrupcy for a while now and trying to stay afloat with bad, rushed licensed games for some cash flow before NIer blew up and Nintendo ordered another Bayo sequel.

You never know what went on behind the scenes, they might be utterly desperate and see selling as the only option to keep the studio afloat at all. Or they might want the relative stability and securuty of working under a publisher. In wich case.....I fail to see why anyone yould go with EA.

The one reason you forgot about is personal financial interest. In the case of studios like Bioware or Rareware, you have founders who have fulfilled their life goals and seek early retirement or financial stability on such a high level that they are free to do whatever they want for the rest of their lives. By selling their studio, they already know that they cease to be boss, so it comes as no surprise that they decide to leave the company they founded as soon as their own visions and ethics don't align with the new owner anymore. They have no reason to continue work because they are already set for life.

Why is someone willing to sell their company to the highest bidder? Money.

That's why it ultimately doesn't matter if the highest bidder is EA who has a history of destroying talented studios.

This is true, and not only this, but to some degree it gives the employees a safe haven.  Your other choices are:

1. Sell to Activision or Ubisoft or maybe one of 10 other organizations big enoug...but what if they aren't interested?  there isn't a huge pool of AAA sized publishers.

2. hand off to new leadership, but that could leave your employees ina very precarious position.

3. Shut it down, which seems noble to your dedicated customers but means instant unemployment for your whole team.

celador said:

"To BioWare staff, the stakes feel higher than they ever have. As one developer told me, there’s a belief that if Anthem doesn’t live up to EA’s expectations, BioWare will look very different in the future, especially after the disappointment of Mass Effect Andromeda led to EA absorbing BioWare Montreal into the studio EA Motive."

Bioware Montreal wasn't a real Bioware studio to begin with. It was just an inexperienced, EA-founded studio which EA had branded Bioware Montreal. It's better they now resolved them in EA Motive because that's at least closer to the truth.

SuperNova said:

sergiodaly said:

I'm not here to defend EA but are they really the cause for all these things that are wrong with the industry? People complain now about online games but they sell single player games to the second hand market without any care of what that will influence the future decisions of publishers, people bought the yearly releases, online focus games like COD, Destiny and overwatch and all the things you complain are present in these games but Activision gets a free pass, same as Take Two with GTA online, and if people set these trends, why are people mad that EA follow them? Why is following the trends your customers set, now called incompetence? EA makes mistakes, yes, no doubt, but follow their customers isn't one of them.

The devs are their employees but with a honest dialogue many things could be prevented like missed dead lines and rushed games full of bugs (BTW Ubi is king here) because I've worked in a software development company and dead lines were missed all the time, not because of management, but because the software developers were always very confident at the beginning, and then they would fail, and I worked with several teams and many were advised to be more realistic but that didn't change the outcome of the next project. Not saying that this happens inside EA, i don't know, but neither do others that claim the fault is in the management. 

As a business they are doing what they think is good for them and I agree with most, not all. As their customer, i also like their new approach of trying something else instead of season pass and I like that because season pass are stupid as stupid can be... I couldn’t care less about MT because I will never use them, and if that means the end of season pass for competitive MP games, then so be it... Of course I believe there's other ways, better ways, but for now not having Season Pass for BF II and Titanfall 2 is a good start.

Personally, Activision, and Take Two certainly don't get a free pass from me and neitehr does Square enix for what they did to Deus EX, but that is not what this topic was about. Personally I find GTA dreadfully boring. But that is also beside the point.

What I'm criticising here is how fresh and creative ideas get snuffed-out in favor of trend-chasing. Rockstar made a great game with GTA by all (but my :P) accounts and take two propositioned them to make an online that could make them even more money, wich they did. And it probably felt fresh in GTA and Rockstar made it work with the concept of the game at large.

But certain publishers see this success and think every game has to be a GTA like seller now, completely neglecting the concept of medium and even high profits in favor of chasing ultra profits. It's not a healthy system. And to an exent, yes it's incompenent because they are sacrificing medum profits in an attempt at much higher profits, wich they will not achieve because the golden goose has already been slain. Ultimately they're also sacrificing their chance at the biggest profits, because they're killing innovation. EA only had an actual COD competitor, something they've been chasing for years, once they reluctantly let the team run with a creative risk with BF 1. Did it outsell COD? No, but people took notice and it got close.

I'm not saying that some studios don't need oversight, or more open communications, or more realistic deadlines. But there is a diffrence between managing a studio, while letting it do what it is good at and forcing them to take on projects they cannot fullfill of have no expertise or passion for. Not to mention literally killing a games balancing in favor of microtransactions.

I can not agree on BFII that lootbox chase with p2w was one of the worst management meddles in recent history and while you might be glad to be rid of the season pass (wich I agree is bull) the alternative is not better in any way shape or form, imo.

On principle, i fully agree that MT are a thing to be purged from games, like i said, I believe there's other ways and better ways, but I think EA and the others publishers will only realize that if we continue to buy the games but not the MT, because if we don't buy the games they get the wrong idea that people didn't want that game and that the game fail, not because of MT, but not good core, not enough marketing, something else,they might even blame gamers as cry babies just to throw the blame around, but if they sell millions and only 0.0001 use MT they will see it as not worth. The BF II issue, was blown out of proportion fuelled by Angry Joe ( i like him but sometimes he goes over board)  and his 4th grade math that didn't take into consideration several ways of getting free loot box and going by the failed logic that everyone wants to unlock everything in a online game... No, in online competitive games people want to have fun and kill that guy that kill them twice already... In a match of 40 players I doubt there will be more than one or two players that did buy MT (p2w) to get a edge, but so does a unemployed guy with lots of time but low skill. I saw people crucifying EA for this game just to be on cool side... And I still say, I'm better off playing all maps with a unified community and deal with the very few that did p2w than having to pay for a season pass and having the community splited.

Just because there's the option to something "bad" doesn't automatically means that a meaningful number of people will do it and that the game is ruined. 

On Bioware subject, wasn't them passionate about mass effect Andromeda? Who's to say Anthem isn't a passionate project of their's... I don't know, but I find it hard to believe that the Anthem IP was created by a EA executive instead of a Bioware creative team...

Last edited by sergiodaly - on 25 January 2018

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

While it looks nice in some areas, the game is ultimately going to be an open ended area, where you just grind for shiny coloured loot boxes, all while having MT's up the wazoo and it being online only. Definitely passing on it without a doubt.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
gergroy said:
I’m sure anthem will be fine and all will be good and right in the world. However, if it struggles I would be ticked if EA closed Bioware. They are my favorite studio and one game does not undo all the good they have done.

I’m sure it will be great, it just annoys me that they are even talking about it!😡

I'd be fine with them closing them at this point in time. I've lost all hope since DAI and atm I simply wouldn't care because Bioware is long dead, as it seems to me.

They are basically a new team, or even several new teams. It's just another EA studio these days and most people responsible for the classic greats don't even work there anymore. Bioware is just a brand name...there is no soul left and I won't believe otherwise until I see they can indeed change for the better. 

I have loved pretty much every game they have made, and they have only seemed to get better.  Dragon age inquisition was awesome and I really liked andromeda as well.  Honestly the only Bioware game I’m not very fond of is dragon age 2, and obvious rush job.  Other than that they are amazing!

if you don’t feel the same way that’s perfectly fine.  Everybody has different opinions.  Personally, I think they are over criticized for small, unimportant things because they are part of EA.  The internet loves to hate on EA.

gergroy said:
Errorist76 said:

I have loved pretty much every game they have made, and they have only seemed to get better.  Dragon age inquisition was awesome and I really liked andromeda as well.  Honestly the only Bioware game I’m not very fond of is dragon age 2, and obvious rush job.  Other than that they are amazing!

if you don’t feel the same way that’s perfectly fine.  Everybody has different opinions.  Personally, I think they are over criticized for small, unimportant things because they are part of EA.  The internet loves to hate on EA.

The writing in DAI and MEA has been bland and pretty terrible in comparison to earlier games. I made the mistake to replay DAO and DA2 before DAI and I must say, even though I wasn’t too fond of DA2 at first it still left a better impression than DAI did. At least they seem to have hired a talented writer for DA4 now. We’ll see if they can redeem themselves.

Errorist76 said:

Sorry but not in my opinion. I absolutely loved DAO...one of the best games I ever played.

I replayed DAO and DA2 including DLCs in anticipation, before starting DAI. I still can't believe how incredibly disappointed I was with DAI. It was the worst disappointment I ever had with a game in my 35 years of gaming.

The world was huge and beautiful but ultimately feeling empty and lifeless , the characters and writing were bland and only a shadow of DAO, the fighting system was dumbed down and casualised. The quests were full of fetch quests and tedious and boring.

I couldn't even bring myself to finish it after 80 or so hours. Still can't believe how anyone could award it GOTY that year, Granted it was a very weak year, but still. Especially the writing and NPCs were SOOOO TERRIBLE. AAAARGH

It got game of the year that year because what else was there on offer? :P

I love DA:O as well, that doesn't mean this was a poor game. It was a great game. Don't worry, I get you, many were disappointed in crtain aspects but I loved it. First, narrative was I'd say 'okay' but there are few games that are truely great in that department. But it's how it's bought to life that matters. In my view, the English actress did the main character justice and helped the story be told. Some NPCs were dull, like most games, but Dorian?

And using the whole fetch quest excuse is old now, it's busy work in an semi open world game like any open world game. Horizon Zero Dawn is an exceptional game, Witcher 3 is too and what do you do in both? That's right, go to a location, kill the thing, free the villain or collect the thing. Half the first chapter of Witcher 3 is "I'll do the thing for you if you go and kill/get the thing for me." It's no different in reality. And get this, you don't have to do the fetch quests. Those skull fragments and all that? Don't do it. 

And the dragon fights, those were great.

Shame you aren't a Twisted Metal fan, man was I excited for Twisted Metal on PS3... it wasn't the best sadly.

Hmm, pie.