By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware doubles down on Anthem as pressure mounts [Kotaku]

Havent played every bioware game, but from what i can tell Mass Effect 2 was the last time they did anything somewhat worthy of their own name

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

Around the Network

This is very sad, Bioware is a pioneer of single player RPG's, and now they hinge on a destinyesque sandbox multiplayer game?  Brilliant.

I'm gonna be the first one here to say that I think Anthem looks very promising. It seems quite Borderlands 2-esque to me with the 4 player co-op, and I think it can be loads of fun with friends.

I hope they will fail as hard as Gearbox did with Battleborn. That will teach them to not do boring multiplayer games when they could do amazing singleplayer games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

greencactaur said:
No offence to anyone looking forward to Anthem, but it doesn't look very good :o

It actually does look very good, but I'm guessing it's mainly an online multiplayer experience, so meh.

If it would have a substantial single player story campaign, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Around the Network

Honestly I don't even know who asked for Anthem. Bioware at their peak has made incredible single player RPG's with a great cast of characters that makes up your party and decisions you make that impact future games in the series and yet they are making something that has more in common with Destiny then what any of Bioware's past games.

They made a great game in 2014 called Dragon Age: Inquisition, they had finished releasing all the DLC by 2015.

... it's 2018 and apparently they are only just starting to write DA4. WTH Bioware? You made money on that, you had resources and time to get your DA team to make another game, as soon as you could but you didn't. You (or should I say EA) are wasting time making a 'rival' to Destiny no one wants. Your strength is in interesting story based action RPGs, not online MP co-op crap. Plus your last Mass Effect game that you had some of that team work on wasn't the best either.

4 years and we won't get another Dragon age until 2020 at least. I thought the wait between DA2 and DA:I was a lot, it's nothing in comparison to this. EA are going to ruin them as well, Jim Sterling called it.

Last edited by The Fury - on 25 January 2018

Hmm, pie.

animegaming said:
Honestly I don't even know who asked for Anthem. Bioware at their peak has made incredible single player RPG's with a great cast of characters that makes up your party and decisions you make that impact future games in the series and yet they are making something that has more in common with Destiny then what any of Bioware's past games.

I think we all know who asked for Anthem.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well, if EA stopped buying studios that make acclaimed games only to turn around and force them to make soulless trend-chasing cash grabs totaly opposite of what they used to make, riddled with microtransactions, lootboxes and p2w elements, they might actually be able to sell some games.

As it is, Bioware will be the next victim of EAs incompetence.

SuperNova said:
Well, if EA stopped buying studios that make acclaimed games only to turn around and force them to make soulless trend-chasing cash grabs totaly opposite of what they used to make, riddled with microtransactions, lootboxes and p2w elements, they might actually be able to sell some games.

As it is, Bioware will be the next victim of EAs incompetence.

So Bioware ruins two of their games franchises, multiple projects, and the internet's response is "it's just EA" ? 

I mean, I can at least understand DICE because even though their games are pretty meh, people love them and only dislike the EA portion of the deal. But so much of Bioware's controversy are things that may or may not be the fault of the publisher. I have a very hard time believing that all of it, or even a majority of it, is EA's fault. Bioware has had a lot of failed projects, let's not kid ourselves. It's open to interpretation, that being said, I won't lie : It gets pretty annoying to see almost no responsibility placed on the developer ...

Edit: I shouldn't say "two of their game franchises" because there will always be that one person that says Bioware is still quality because they made one game that people liked in six years ....