By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - All New Microsoft Studio Releases Will be On Xbox Game Pass

Awesome deal.
Phil u did it right.

Around the Network

SOUnds good but I see through it. It will be riddled with microtransactions. They’ve definitely been paying attention to the games as a service trends for longevity on a first party front.

DonFerrari said:
If it drives up the adoption rate it may mean a lot of assured revenue, they will probably make it 12month sub only to avoid the cheapskates.

This. Good thinking. The best way to think when you see something that’s too good to be true is to use your most educated guess based on trends (not holding it as the answer) and rather as measure of a caution. 

d21lewis said:
One more thing about Game Pass--the titles don't stay there forever. The game may be there day one but it could be gone in a month. Then, you can buy it at a discount. If the game is good enough, people will want to own it.

Xbox games will probably stay in the service forever.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

SOUnds good but I see through it. It will be riddled with microtransactions. They’ve definitely been paying attention to the games as a service trends for longevity on a first party front.

That COULD be long term.

But all these games promoted are $60 releases and that's how many will purchase them. That will be the case for years to come. So they still need to find the balance on microtransactions, DLC, etc.

Sony does the same thing and Nintendo dips their toe in it.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Well there will be Microtransactions but I don't think they will be that bad. Sea of Thieves won't have lootboxes so the MTs are probably only cosmetic. SoD2 won't have MTs. Ori 2 definitely won't have MTs. We don't know about Crackdown 3 but I think it will have cosmetic only MTs.

jason1637 said:
d21lewis said:
One more thing about Game Pass--the titles don't stay there forever. The game may be there day one but it could be gone in a month. Then, you can buy it at a discount. If the game is good enough, people will want to own it.

Xbox games will probably stay in the service forever.

True. It would make investing in first party less of a risk if they could use the profit factor of the overall system as an incentive like Netflix to reinvest in first party. The profit would be attached to long term subscriptions given they are almost 1:1 with Xbox live (if not more)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

That COULD be long term.

But all these games promoted are $60 releases and that's how many will purchase them. That will be the case for years to come. So they still need to find the balance on microtransactions, DLC, etc.

SOny has no need. If they do I’d be surprised because the market would push that in their direction because Sony makes higher quality game and just on their value and marketshare they would make more. Microsoft is playing it smart the way they are running their business focusing on getting people hooked on subscriptions. I can see a more robust microtransactions program. I believe this is slightly conceding that their first party is very risky to them right now. If their first party was a greater draw I doubt hey would be in games pass. This is a good move by Microsoft to show good will but if I got gamepass I wouldn’t involve myself in as many of the microtransactions that I feel are to come.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

That COULD be long term.

SOny has no need. If they do I’d be surprised because the market would push that in their direction because Sony makes higher quality game and just on their value and marketshare they would make more. Microsoft is playing it smart the way they are running their business focusing on getting people hooked on subscriptions. I can see a more robust microtransactions program. I believe this is slightly conceding that their first party is very risky to them right now. If their first party was a greater draw I doubt hey would be in games pass. This is a good move by Microsoft to show good will but if I got gamepass I wouldn’t involve myself in as many of the microtransactions that I feel are to come.

I don't think you understood what I said. I'm saying Sony also tries to find a balance with DLC and microtransactions without upsetting people but still using it to raise revenue.

Sony has multiple subscription services as well. For gaming its PS Plus and PS Now.

Critically MS's 1st party has done pretty well, but I'm not gonna bother elaborating to someone with your bias.

1st party content is risky period. Sony has gotten rid of studios in spite of market share. For MS, Gamepass could actually lower risks if many people subscribe.

Hypothetically, if a service like Gamepass could maintain a million subscribers a year that would actually fund the development of AAA games ($120 million annual revenue with 1 million subscribers). That doesn't even include the money from $60 physical/digital sales.

Let me put it this way for you. I rarely buy Sony games at full price. Maybe once a year and others I might buy used. So they aren't making much revenue from me. But if Sony charged $120 a year to access all their content at launch, I would gladly subscribe. Hence, Sony would get more from me simply by duplicating Gamepass.

Anywho, MS showed people are willing to pay for online play and Sony followed. Which I argue is fair because offering online services has overhead. MS is trying something very interesting with Gamepass, if it works out well, maybe Sony will follow.

Oh !  they are super rich .