By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Depression Thread

Hey guys. So, after having a pretty bad episode earlier today, I decided to make this thread, with mod approval. Essentially, what this thread will be is a place where we can talk to each other and try to help each other out in dealing with depression. However, there are some guidelines that need to be established here:

1. Do not feel obligated to share any information that you are uncomfortable sharing
  2. Do not talk down on others. This is meant to be a place where we can safely discuss the topic
  3. This is Not a go-to for emergency situations. If you are feeling suicidal, please call one of these hotlines where professionals who are properly equipped to deal with the situation can answer the call:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines
I want VGC to be a place where I feel happier/excited being, rather than worrying about it/dreading it. Hopefully this experiment will turn out well. Also, this is not just a place to talk about depression! We should also try to share uplifting and motivational content!

Around the Network

To start off, here's a song that I love listening to when I'm feeling down to increase my mood:

And another one that I somehow forgot to put in:

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 22 January 2018

Had a long depression state from 19 to 24, never said anything to anyone until I had a big breakdown. Wasted a lot of chances in university so now I'm about to graduate at 27, but I got treatment on time before I did something really stupid.

I have a mood disorder and had always felt sad, even if on the outside people saw myself as putgoing and very social and happy

My advice would be not looking down on treatment if you are the one sick, and if you know people, don't say stuff like "just try to be happy", "look at all the great things in your life" or stuff like that lol

Wow...I was just thinking about my depression when I saw this title...a sign maybe? Idk...but I've realized having depression most of my life...that in most cases. .there's an underlying issue that is the cause of our depression...that needs to be confronted by yourself. You have to recognize what it is and attack it...the same way depression attacks you. I know what mine is...at least I'm somewhat aware and that is living in the environment I live in. I'm in the hood and as I grew older...I became less sensitized but more disgusted at my community. I need to pack up and really try to make something of myself. Right now I've taken the initiative to get back to school at possibly take a shot at becoming a game designer.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Speaking of...if there is ANYONE interested in collaboration...I would love to get my ideas out there. I honestly believe and have for years...I could help design a triple a title.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Around the Network

Sorry you're going through a hard time... :(

I've lived an extremely sheltered life, in that aspect, I think, so it was a real shocker for me just how big of an issue depression really is, in society, when I started browsing the web. While not as severe, I'm also slightly worried about some mild signs of depression that my brother's been showing. Not too sure about how to approach that, though...

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

VGPolyglot said:

To start off, here's a song that I love listening to when I'm feeling down to increase my mood:

And another one that I somehow forgot to put in:

On another note, those two tracks can be coordinated to make something surprisingly coherent... Kind of fun. (a bit rough in the beginning, but harmonizes after, with a real nice question-answer structure going on at some point :)   )

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

This is a very good thread.

I had a bad period of depression during my senior year of high school and there were points during that time where I was suicidal. If it wasn't for people like my physics teacher, counselor, and my best friends, who I consider my brothers, taking notice and helping me overcome it, there's a good chance that I wouldn't be here today. It was that experience that inspired me to go to college to eventually become a counselor myself, so that I can be there for children and adolescents the way they were there for me.

So, I am always available to talk to if anyone is ever going through one of their lows of depression. I know what it feels like, and it's not going to be easy. But, you are not alone, there are people who care about you and your life is more special and important than you believe.

Hey everyone I'm a long time lurker here but this thread really struck me. I have just come out of a 3 year depression that started with a major car accident. I just wanted to say that there is always a way to get through it. At one point I never thought I'd get my life on track again or enjoy anything but I finally have and it feels great. I'm not the best conversationalist but if anyone needs to vent I can listen.

I'm glad this thread exists, there needs to be more judgement free places to talk about depression.

what's it like to be depressed? Curious.