By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - An assessment from Quickrick about Switch HW and SW sales.

Poll! Saleswise, do you think these franchises are as big as 3D Mario?

Smash Bros. 1 5.26%

Animal Crossing 0 0%

2D Mario 1 5.26%

None 3 15.79%

All 8 42.11%

Smash and AC 0 0%

Smash and 2D Mario 1 5.26%

AC and 2D Mario 5 26.32%

Total:19
peachbuggy said:
quickrick said:

even in sales 3d Mario is far ahead.

We've already proved to you Smash is a bigger seller. So how can 3D Mario be "Way ahead"?

you haven't proved nothing on wii i already repeated myself enough there was two 3d  mario games to choose from, thats why smash sold slightly more, if they there 2 smash games to choose from the it would a more fair comparison, just like  mario 3d land out sold smah on 3ds, and mario world out sold it on wiiu, the evidence is inclusive, i'll just there say there on par, but mario is a much bigger franchise it has sold way more.

Around the Network
Flilix said:  2D Mario can beat it will depend on how much they change their franchises.

2D Mario is in dire need of refreshening, all the 2D games since NSMB on DS feel the same 

quickrick said:
peachbuggy said:

Agreed but this thread is purely about sales.

if your your talking about out sales

1996   Super Mario 64 with ds version 23.24
2002   Super Mario Sunshine 6.31  
2007   Super Mario Galaxy series 20.39

2011   Super Mario 3D series 16.93

smash 

1999 Nintendo 64 Super Smash Bros. 5.55 [1] 2.93m in US[2], 1.97 in Japan[3]
2001 GameCube Super Smash Bros. Melee 7.41 (March 2014)[1]
2008 Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl 13.25 (Sept 2017)[4]
2014 3DS Super Smash Bros. for 3DS 8.91 (Sept 2017)
2014 Wii U Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 5.26 (Sept 2017)

Year 

Platform 

Title 

Sales
(in Millions) 

2001 GameCube Animal Crossing 2.32 million[1]
1.68 million in US, 641,300 in Japan[2]
2005 NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 11.75 million[1](March 2015)
2008 Wii Animal Crossing: City Folk 4.32 million [1](December 2013)
2013 3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf 11.23 million[3] (September 2017)
2015 3DS Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer 3.04 million[4]
2015 Wii U Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival <<1 million
Franchise total (as of September 30, 2017)32.40

You can't add games together trying to prove your point! As you can clearly see, using your own data, no 3D Mario title has sold 13m, which is below the best selling Smash data. Putting games together proves nothing. If you were to put the whole Kirby franchise together it would outsell Smash, however thatwould be possibly  25-30 games! Anyway, the poll has spoken, 40% actually believe ALL of those franchises are bigger sellers than 3D Mario. Sure, Mario is probably the joint most prestigious Nintendo franchise and most well known but that doesn't always equate to sales for 3D Mario. It's a top 5 franchise sales-wise, for Nintendo, maybe.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

quickrick said:
peachbuggy said:

We've already proved to you Smash is a bigger seller. So how can 3D Mario be "Way ahead"?

you haven't proved nothing on wii i already repeated myself enough there was two 3d  mario games to choose from, thats why smash sold slightly more, if they there 2 smash games to choose from the it would a more fair comparison, just like  mario 3d land out sold smah on 3ds, and mario world out sold it on wiiu, the evidence is inclusive, i'll just there say there on par, but mario is a much bigger franchise it has sold way more.

1. To say Galaxy without Galaxy 2 is conjecture. We have no proof it would have outsold Smash.

2. You have gone from saying 3D is "Way ahead of" Smash in sales to saying it's on par. Which is it?

3. Mario is a bigger franchise as a whole because there are literally 100's of "Mario" titles. It is more important than Smash in most aspects but the fact remains, game for game (including the same amount of games for each franchise) 3D Mario does not outsell Smash.

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
quickrick said:

if your your talking about out sales

1996   Super Mario 64 with ds version 23.24
2002   Super Mario Sunshine 6.31  
2007   Super Mario Galaxy series 20.39

2011   Super Mario 3D series 16.93

smash 

1999 Nintendo 64 Super Smash Bros. 5.55 [1] 2.93m in US[2], 1.97 in Japan[3]
2001 GameCube Super Smash Bros. Melee 7.41 (March 2014)[1]
2008 Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl 13.25 (Sept 2017)[4]
2014 3DS Super Smash Bros. for 3DS 8.91 (Sept 2017)
2014 Wii U Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 5.26 (Sept 2017)

Year 

Platform 

Title 

Sales
(in Millions) 

2001 GameCube Animal Crossing 2.32 million[1]
1.68 million in US, 641,300 in Japan[2]
2005 NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 11.75 million[1](March 2015)
2008 Wii Animal Crossing: City Folk 4.32 million [1](December 2013)
2013 3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf 11.23 million[3] (September 2017)
2015 3DS Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer 3.04 million[4]
2015 Wii U Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival <<1 million
Franchise total (as of September 30, 2017)32.40

You can't add games together trying to prove your point! As you can clearly see, using your own data, no 3D Mario title has sold 13m, which is below the best selling Smash data. Putting games together proves nothing. If you were to put the whole Kirby franchise together it would outsell Smash, however thatwould be possibly  25-30 games! Anyway, the poll has spoken, 40% actually believe ALL of those franchises are bigger sellers than 3D Mario. Sure, Mario is probably the joint most prestigious Nintendo franchise and most well known but that doesn't always equate to sales for 3D Mario. It's a top 5 franchise sales-wise, for Nintendo, maybe.

mario 64 and ds version are the same game, it sold 23.4 million, but yea your argument doesn't make sense to me, if you bring up the wii, smash out sold galaxy my minuscule amount, only like i said a million times, people had 2 3d mario game to choose from, and the way mario and smash tend to sell the whole generation with long legs, mario galaxy 2, stopped mario galaxy 1 from surpassing smash for sure.

Around the Network

I think Smash can do 15 million on the Switch if it's a brand new title and not a remaster of the Wii U one.

peachbuggy said:
quickrick said:

1. To say Galaxy without Galaxy 2 is conjecture. We have no proof it would have outsold Smash.

2. You have gone from saying 3D is "Way ahead of" Smash in sales to saying it's on par. Which is it?

3. Mario is a bigger franchise as a whole because there are literally 100's of "Mario" titles. It is more important than Smash in most aspects but the fact remains, game for game (including the same amount of games for each franchise) 3D Mario does not outsell Smash.

1: common sense, if you know how nintendo titles sell, you know mario galaxy 2 release is gonna slow down mario galaxy sales a bit, this is true for any title, why you think GTA6 hasn't come out yet

2:  3d mario has way more sales in it's life time, on a game to game bases they have been selling on par.

3: 3d mario only has 6 games, not counting MO or the remake.

quickrick said:
peachbuggy said:

1: common sense, if you know how nintendo titles sell, you know mario galaxy 2 release is gonna slow down mario galaxy sales a bit, this is true for any title, why you think GTA6 hasn't come out yet

Ganoncrotch said:
peachbuggy said:

This thread is a chance for the naysayers to have their say then see how foolish they look.

• Thread Content:
    • Copy-pasting full transcriptions of articles is strictly prohibited. Instead, you may paste specific sections of the article that pertain to the subject of your thread, along with your own commentary related to that article.
    • Likewise, your thread should never only be a link to the story/article/video/etc.  You must include your own commentary.
    • Threads are only "official" if a moderator says so (to get Moderator approval, you must contact a moderator and they must be the one to approve your idea/title for an "Official" thread).
    • If two threads on a topic are created around the same time, the one with the clearest title and most constructive content will remain open, the other will be locked. Even if the latter was created first.
    • Threads should not be aimed at one user (or moderator) in particular, especially not to call them out or insult them. If you want to talk to a user, send them a wall post, or a Private Message.
    • Posts that are clearly a reply or a response to a thread should be just that, a post. Threads should not be a response or a retaliation to another thread. Keep related discussion in the appropriate thread.
    • Moderators may edit the content of your thread (including your thread title) if they deem it necessary to do so. If thread content is edited, please do not remove or change these edits without asking the moderator who issued them (via PM).

Forum rule 3.3.5 suggests this thread is a bad idea though, especially considering you've made it clear your goal here is to make them look bad.

I see. That wasn't the original intention and still isn't. The thread was created specifically because we were derailing a particular thread. I invited Quickrick to this thread to continue the conversation. My comment about naysayers was both tongue in cheek and not directed towards any particular individual. As for Quickrick, i believe his predictions are getting more reasonable so i am giving him a chance to insightfully state his points.

Are we going to resort to these threads singling out people because of their opinions?
I've seen quickrick picked on because he has opinions that go against the Nintendo grain. Quickrick actually backs himself up quite well with some of opinions but mob mentality of some users just attack him and sometimes get personal which I don't believe quickrick has with anybody.
Can we please stop singling out people?