By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Finally beat A link to the Past!......Meh

Nice Nopon impression. Pretty on point.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

I think that's to be expected a bit, as Link Between Worlds has been copied and expanded upon ad nauseum both within the franchise and by others of the genre since its release.

Much like the original Zelda and Ocarina, they were fantastic in their time but modern players (especially without any emotional attachment via nostalgia) won't generally find anything they haven't seen done as well or better elsewhere. That's not really a negative for those games though, but rather shows how influential they were in shaping the genre.

At this point the old Zelda game that always feels freshest to me is actually Zelda II... it gets a lot of hate for not fitting what we recognize today as the typical Zelda mold and, somewhat justifiably, for being quite difficult and cryptic at times, but otherwise it had what I feel is just about the best 2D side scrolling combat and hitboxes of the 8bit genre. The controls are just spot on and it honestly feels like a legitimate duel against many of the stronger enemies, with ducking, jumping, dodging, and constantly tapping your shield. If you don't use the now infamous "sit in the corner and swing" trick on the last boss, meanwhile, I really feel he's one of the best bosses in all of 8 bit gaming... you'd swear he actually had a brain the way he reacts to your every move.

Anyway, that one held up the best imo as it hasn't been done a thousand times over since it's release. Otherwise, you'll be hard pressed to play a game from gen 3-5 that doesn't feel fairly stale, especially in a franchise with a legacy like Zelda.

Thank God for internet. Some games just stump you sometimes and prevent you from finishing them. Glad you completed the game.

makes sense. I played it back in like 1994 and was blown away. If I played it for the 1st time in 2018 my perspective on it would be much different.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

LttP is my favorite of the linear Zelda's but to each their own.

Around the Network

I had the exact opposite experience as you. I had tried to play the game for decades but always got bored or lost interest. Then I went on Ebay and actually bought the real cartridge, popped it into my SNES and played on a CRT, wiring the sound through a stereo and become totally engrossed, playing it daily until I beat it.

To me, it's the easily my second favorite 2D Zelda ever. I think it deserves the praise it gets because it berthed most of the songs, concepts and gameplay that OOT would use a few years later.

Gamer147 said:
Thank God for internet. Some games just stump you sometimes and prevent you from finishing them. Glad you completed the game.

We had walkthroughs in paper form back in the 80's. The internet just made them free. 

Nymeria said:
Still my favorite Zelda game, playing it back in 1993 it blew me away. Going back now after all that came after would be hard to place it within the series.

bigjon said:
makes sense. I played it back in like 1994 and was blown away. If I played it for the 1st time in 2018 my perspective on it would be much different.

Yeah, I'm sure the timing of when i fully played this, plus considering playing it after so many other bigger grander zelda games is the majority reasoning for my feelings. Also I read that the Hitboxes are MUCH improved in the GBA version and i did find that upsetting at times.

You beat it roughly 24 years after I beat it for the first time...

...ughhh I’m old :(

I'm biased but i found link to the past to be an amazing game even more so when you think all that gameplay was fit in 1MB