By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Finally beat A link to the Past!......Meh

Never had it when i had an SNES, but i've emulated on pc,  had it on wii's virtual console, again on wii-u virtual console, never having finished it, UNTIL today!

For a long time i was stuck in the dark world as the bunny and couldn't figure it out, so i finally broke down and just watched a play through so i  could be done with this game, and i can't believe all this time how easily i missed that mirror....UGH!

anyway...so I'm on a mission to finish ever zelda game, and to this date i've finished:

Breathe of the Wild, Wind Waker, Twilight princess, Zelda 1, Oracles of ages and seasons, skyward sword and gotta say...this game isn't as great as i hoped it to be. Sure it has some classic tunes, but it overall felt boring, i hated the dark world, and the boss fights were annoying, easy and not fun. I typically like 3D zelda games better, but i really do love the oracle games, which were far more impressive to me than LttP

I overall rate my experience a 6.5/10

Should i play Minish cap next or a Link between worlds?

Around the Network

Minish Cap or Link's Awakening should be your next targets.

Well, I absolutely loved Minish Cap, so I think it would be a pity to skip that...

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

I don't like The Minish Cap, but if you weren't that much into A Link to the Past it's probably better to play that instead of A Link Between Worlds, because the latter while I personally think it's great, is very similar to it's SNES example. There's even a lot of stuff that returns from the older game.

Still, if you want to play another 2D one, I'd say scrap both and go for Link's Awakening. That one's amazing. Or Spirit Tracks, which is fun and very different.

Also, never played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask?

S.Peelman said:
I don't like The Minish Cap, but if you weren't that much into A Link to the Past it's probably better to that instead of A Link Between Worlds, because the latter while I personally think it's great, is very similar to it's SNES example. There's even a lot of stuff that returns.

Still, if you want to play another 2D one, I'd say scrap both and go for Link's Awakening. That one's amazing. Or Spirit Tracks, which is fun and different.

Also, never played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask?

I don't like A Link's to the Past, but LOVE A  Link Between World's. Although I agree, try The Minish Cap first, a very under-rated Zelda game.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

Some people just don't have taste in games, or for some reason randomly hate a game that everybody else loves. The latter happens to all of us from time to time.

Play Minish Cap next. That was one of the freshest Zelda games back in the day. Almost all the items in that game are original ideas thought up by Capcom. IMO unlocking the Bow, Hookshot, Boomerang, etc in every Zelda game gets old and predictable. Capcom brought back the sense of discovery that pre-BotW Zelda had in its dungeons.

umegames said:

Never had it when i had an SNES, but i've emulated on pc,  had it on wii's virtual console, again on wii-u virtual console, never having finished it, UNTIL today!

For a long time i was stuck in the dark world as the bunny and couldn't figure it out, so i finally broke down and just watched a play through so i  could be done with this game, and i can't believe all this time how easily i missed that mirror....UGH!

anyway...so I'm on a mission to finish ever zelda game, and to this date i've finished:

Breathe of the Wild, Wind Waker, Twilight princess, Zelda 1, Oracles of ages and seasons, skyward sword and gotta say...this game isn't as great as i hoped it to be. Sure it has some classic tunes, but it overall felt boring, i hated the dark world, and the boss fights were annoying, easy and not fun. I typically like 3D zelda games better, but i really do love the oracle games, which were far more impressive to me than LttP

I overall rate my experience a 6.5/10

Should i play Minish cap next or a Link between worlds?

I would go with Minish Cap next as it will change the world map up next for you.  If you just beat ALttP, give it some time before visiting ALBW or it might be stale for you.

I just did a run of every Zelda game, even got the CDi games.  However for most people, the games that belong to the canon timeline are the most important for a full run.

Skyward Sword (Wii)

Minish Cap (GBA)

Four Swords (GBA with link cable)

Ocarina of Time (N64)

*timeline splits into three due to time travel*

Adult Timeline (the timeline Link leaves behind after he defeats Ganon in OoT)

Wind Waker (GameCube, WiiU)

Phantom Hourglass (DS)

Spirit Tracks (DS)

Child Timeline (this takes place in the timeline that Link retruns to as a child after defeating Ganon in OoT and warns the king of Ganondorf with the Triforce of courage as proof)

Majora's Mask (N64, 3DS)

Twilight Princess (GameCube, Wii, WiiU)

Four Swords Adventures (GameCube)

Downfall Timeline (this timeline was created due to a butterfly effect from the initial split of the adult and child timelines, where Link LOSES against Ganon in Ocarina of Time)

A Link to the Past (GBC)

Oracle of Ages/Seasons(GBC)

Link's Awakening (GB, GBC)

A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

Triforce Heros (3DS)

Zelda 1 (NES, GBA)

Zelda 2 Adventure of Link (NES, GBA)

Breath if the Wild takes place far far in the future beyind all of the existing timelines.  With no offical placement as of yet and story tiez to all three timelines, it has been widely considered as a "Dragon Break" where all three timelines after a certain period of time are all fated to realign eventually (similar to Eldar Scrolls).  Until something more is revealed, this is the best explaination we have so far.

Side games (games that are not canon to the lore, but are a fun experience if you feel like trying them.  Basically any game without "Legend of Zelda" in the title)

Hyrule Warriors (WiiU, 3DS, Switch)

Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)

Tingle's Rosey Ruppeland Adventure (DS)

Link: Faces of Evil (CDi)

Zelda: Wand of Gamalon (CDi)

Zelda's Adventure (CDi)

Now let it be noted thst if you have a WiiU AND a 3DS, you can buy every CANON game from the online store digitally except for Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures (which you need two GBA, two copies of the game, and a link cable for FS and a Gamecube and a single physical copy for FSA).

You can also get Hyrule Warriors on WiiU.

The other side games will require the system they were released on and a physical copy of the game (eapecially the CDi games because emulation is broken).

It is quite the adventure to tackle all of these, even just the canon games.  Have fun!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Im sure Link to the Past was amazing when it came out but i agree, i enjoyed Minish Cap & Link Between Worlds much more.

I really hope to see a new 2D title on Switch in the near future.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I've tried playing through link to the past a few times, and it just never grabbed me. I actually liked a Link Between Worlds a lot better.

Still my favorite Zelda game, playing it back in 1993 it blew me away. Going back now after all that came after would be hard to place it within the series.