By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Of course not. It’s only a gimmick if Nintendo uses it. Isn’t that common knowledge at this point?

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
Nogamez said:

Until Dawn rush of blood (loved it) some horror ganme with a chick in a yellow dress. Some shitty shooting game where you couldnt move only point the gun. Some playstation VR thing with diving and a shooting game and RE7.

And you thought playing re7 just on the tv was a better expierence? Did you get motion sick?

John2290 said:
potato_hamster said:

We demand Rockstar and Activision cut the udders off their cash cows, abandon their core demographic, dictate to their audience how to play a game, and boldy say "FUCK YOU" to anyone who dares complain about it, much less refuse to buy the game and the additional hardware required to play it.

You have a ton of ideas you keep espousing that are heavily, heavily rooted in pure delusion, but this one is one of the worse.

The core gaming community has shown time and time and time again that they're only willing to accept changes that fundamentally makes gaming better. VR clearly is not one of them.

Agreed on the whole exclusivity thing, that would be a terrible move for everyone involved but a full release cod/gta releasing also on VR would be great, again for everyone involved. On your second point, We've never had this whole social media influencing for tech THIS much and with, the wii reached 100m without this free form of advertising. VR is being shown on countless youtubr and twitch channels who have millions of followers still to this day with VRchat being the main pull atm on the PC side. When this years tops Psvr games are streamed, like The inpatient, apex construct, blood and truth, Bravo team , Alvo...which are all exclusive or timed we will see a nice uptick in PSvr sales each time, I think it could easily hit 4m or close to that by Q1 2019.

Do you honestly think any of those games hold a candle to something like Skyrim? Or Resident Evil VII? Or Gran Turismo Sport? Even Farpoint? We've already had these games streamed in front of millions of followers. We've already had huge discounts on Black Friday sales. We've already had heavy advertisements all during the holiday season for PSVR. And what did Sony end up having to show for it. 1.2-1.4 Million in sales for 2017 during a time where over 23 million PS4s were sold. That's about 3% of PS4 owners.

If PSVR only has 4 m in sales by the end of 2018, that would mean it only sold 400-600K more units, with a bigger library, improved hardware, and a much cheaper price tag. If that happens, and the PS4 sells 20-23 million units again next year, that means we're looking at about 4% of PS4 owners owning PSVR. That's not exactly solid growth is it?

dgboweniii said:

It's only a gimmick right now because software has not caught up to the tech.  There will come a day when we only game in VR.

and this day will likely come far sooner then most people might think actually. Technology advances sooo fast. Just look at the iPhone.

Now imagine what VR devices might look like in 9 years and how powerfull they will be.

John2290 said:

Unfortunetly highend VR devices don't get the benifet of free phones on contract creating, hopefully HTC, oculus and the like can sort this out in the mobile market but Vive and psvr and high end oculus are left in the cold in this regard. At the very least maybe it will create revnue that can be pumped back into the industry. Contracts have their down side for consumers but the sure can cause tech to sky rocket like nothing else can.

They can be sold at a loss and make profit with software sales later (just like consoles).

I also dont think that the future of VR will be devices tethered to a PC or Console. When its really mainstream, it will just be the headset with everything build in (extreme sharp display, eye trackin, so high performance isnt needed, inside out tracking, tons of content)

Around the Network

Having spend CAD 2500 on a good 4K tv, I can only imagine what a CAD 2500 VR headset would be capable of. I use the headset more than the tv, kinda upside down the headset was only 1/5th of the cost of a tv...

Some standard for VR headsets would be nice. They are display devices in the end with a few build in sensors. A standardized HDMI VR port would help with mainstream adoption. We're just in this weird early phase where the tv manufacturers make their own walled off content. MS has the right idea with the MR headsets, yet they don't have the games, nor does it work with their box (yet) Perhaps some announcement this E3.

John2290 said:

Already happened and set for release soon, The lenovo Mirage is a stand alone daydream headset with inside out tracking and 6 degrees of movement for 400 USD. Looks slim and light weight too but at that price it's just a basic device for media, not even sure the media would be great quality on it but who knows, waiting on reviews atm.

Yeah those devices need to be able to run complex software like high end pcs. Something like star cititzen in VR. We arnt there yet, its still awesome what we got, but it will evolve heavily in the next years for sure

John2290 said:
Also, the aattch rate for VR software is insane atm and this is pushing a nice boom in development along with start ups for peripherals and the like. Besides the tens of billions, big companies are pumping into VR a the top of the pyramid, consumers are pumping money into the market at mass.

The attach rate for PS VR is under 3% and less than that for PC. 

dgboweniii said:

It's only a gimmick right now because software has not caught up to the tech.  There will come a day when we only game in VR.

I hope not, I much rather continue gaming on a screen rather than forced to strap a headset to my face. I much prefer the day where we can game with both as options side by side on all games.

TheLegendaryWolf said:

I hope not, I much rather continue gaming on a screen rather than forced to strap a headset to my face. I much prefer the day where we can game with both as options side by side on all games.

I actually dont think this will happen, at least not in terms of cross plattform.

If we look at shooters, players that play with a dualshock wont stand any chance against VR players with Vr guns that just work like real guns. 

Im personally WAY better in VR racing games compared to 2D racing games. 

Dodging blades is alot easier and more intuitive when you just doge them with your body instead of pressing the right buttons.

I do agree though that its hard to completly replace a technology. We got Tvs but Books and radios are still around right? It didnt replaced them, just a new way to get entertained. Though while I would say TVs are currently the primary way of entertainment for most people, VR will be the same in the future. There will still be people around enjoying Tvs, just like there are still people around that enjoy reading books, but VR will be what most people will go into after work (just like they are watching tv now).