By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Aziz Ansari Is Guilty. Of Not Being a Mind Reader - NYT

Aeolus451 said:
I think he should sue her and the one who published the story for defamation. I'm sure he's blacklisted over this.

if the story is true, how can he sue her for defamation?

she went through the experience and obviously feels wronged, that's not a justification for him to sue her

Around the Network

Nothing to see here, more mindless Me2 garbage.  They watched TV together afterwards for goodness sake.

If you have attempted to have relations with a women and she wasn't into it, you did the same thing as this poor sap.  Anyone that is sexually active has been there.

Zoombael said:
If it wasnt for the title id have thought i read an extract from a cheesy romance novel like 50 shades of something.

If 50 Shades of Something was realistic, this story is a clear example of how things would actually go down 

VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

Unless you are missing that from saying hello, inviting to dinner, approaching to kiss, going to the apartment, taking clothes out doesn't sign as continuous consent until the person say no then you are just crazy... Because your analogy of crossing someone in the street and punching him would go to crossing someone on the street and inserting the penis on that person, while the other situation would be two people in a box ring fighting without asking at every single punch if they can keep doing it but stopping when the other person forfeit.

Are you adhering to those people that think that if you kiss your wife while she is still sleeping it is rape because she didn't consent to be kissed at that moment?

I didn't say anything about it being someone crossing the street. There are different levels of comfortability, because someone is fine taking their clothes off and having oral sex doesn't mean that all of a sudden means that she wants her vagina penetrated and ejaculated in. I don't think that Aziz Ansari should be criminally responsible for what he did, but I think that he could have avoided this situation by just asking.

You compared what he did to just go and suddenly punch someone on the face as if they were the same, good to see you backtracked.

Sure there are different levels of comfort and just because you allowed to have one thing doesn't mean you allowed another. But we are talking about natural progression, you know each other, have dinner, go to place, kiss, get naked, do oral... next would go sex... you don't need to inform or ask before, it's smooth and natural, and sure if you don't want to cross that barrier you say no instead of waiting for the other to ask at every point if he can do it.

Cyran said:
If you go into a boxing ring with someone with gloves on (getting naked) then trade some body blows (oral sex) don't expect them to ask for verbal permission before they try to punch you in the face (sex). You really should let the person know the face off limit (sex).

Thanks for translating my analogy to someone that done the wrong analogy.

o_O.Q said:
Aeolus451 said:
I think he should sue her and the one who published the story for defamation. I'm sure he's blacklisted over this.

if the story is true, how can he sue her for defamation?

she went through the experience and obviously feels wronged, that's not a justification for him to sue her

If the story is true she was engaging in sexual activity with him, when she voiced she wanted to stop he stopped. But she is making the story in a way as he was practically raping her... if you don't see reason for a sue, sorry. 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

All I got from reading his messages to her is that he is one fine whore gentleman.

The same can't be said about the bitch complaining. This whore, who went to his house on the first date, was lucky to be graced with his famous dick and should be thankful instead of seeking victimhood. It's ok to be a whore, just don't be a whiny one.

Moreover, what possible trauma could've resulted from this "incident" she's describing? Non. Absolutely nothing, why is she asking to feel sorry for her?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
The easiest way to avoid this is to just ask before doing everything to make sure that the other person is fine with it.

How old are you and how many times have you had sex? I wonder if you know what a "turn off" means? Almost all women I sleep with do not want me to ask animportant question like "Is this too rough?", that's a turn off for them. 

I would imagine asking questions the whole session would bother "the other person" before it starts bothering me. And it would lead to a non-sexy experience for all participants.

Smartie900 said:
Ansari wasn't good at reading the signals the girl put out. When someone is in a situation where they're deeply uncomfortable and tense, they don't always have the willpower to refuse a request and say 'no'. I can sympathize with the girl and it is understandable that she would want to come out and voice her concerns. However, Ansari doesn't deserve to be vilified for being ignorant on how to read social signals. He expressed regret over the situation privately and seemed to genuinely care about the mental state of the girl. To me, this just seems like a an awkward situation where two people didn't know how to properly communicate with each other.

i completely agree. the biggest reason this situation seemed to occur is both people involved failed to communicate with each other effectively. 

it does bring up questions about what consent is, but also i think more importantly about how to express yourself as well as interpret the feelings of other people.

i think it’s possible that both people could have been drunk, and maybe that’s being left out of the story. i get that feeling from how sloppy the interactions between the two seem to be. 

Thechalkblock said:
Smartie900 said:
Ansari wasn't good at reading the signals the girl put out. When someone is in a situation where they're deeply uncomfortable and tense, they don't always have the willpower to refuse a request and say 'no'. I can sympathize with the girl and it is understandable that she would want to come out and voice her concerns. However, Ansari doesn't deserve to be vilified for being ignorant on how to read social signals. He expressed regret over the situation privately and seemed to genuinely care about the mental state of the girl. To me, this just seems like a an awkward situation where two people didn't know how to properly communicate with each other.

i completely agree. the biggest reason this situation seemed to occur is both people involved failed to communicate with each other effectively. 

it does bring up questions about what consent is, but also i think more importantly about how to express yourself as well as interpret the feelings of other people.

i think it’s possible that both people could have been drunk, and maybe that’s being left out of the story. i get that feeling from how sloppy the interactions between the two seem to be. 

She dates a famous actor, lets him invite her for dinner, they drink, they go back to his apartment, they kiss....

What the hell was she expecting to happen?! 

This article is not the best article to have a discussion on. It's an opinion piece. I have read other articles that paint the picture worse.

In the end though, all the articles I"ve read they all seem like a bad date, a 20/20 next day regret, silent no, ect.

The discussion shouldn't be about Aziz and whether he missed signs or not, but be about girls needing to me more vocal, clear, assertive and so on in those situations about what they want or don't want.

Unless your like 15 years old or younger, people don't "ask for permission". That is a mood killer, makes you look indecisive, and will make the girl/guy lose interest in you. People like confidence.

I remember when I was young and was going to go on my first date, was talking with a group of girls about what I should do, how I should act, etc., and I asked if I should ask to kiss her and they all screamed "NO!" That you just make a move and go for it. Granted, I'm old, so whatever.

I can't imagine the thought of Can I kiss you? Can I take your top off? Can I touch your chest? Etc., throughout the whole encounter. I think there was some university though that makes you sign a consent form or something now to have sex with another student? Or maybe that was an onion article.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS