By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RUMOR: Perfect Dark Returning Without Rare

Nautilus said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Nostalgia goggles? PD's gameplay was never great. The options in 2000 were just very limited.

The push for online focused games isn't really a thing anymore. MS has even published/funded numerous games without online play. I imagine a PD reboot would have some online mode, but even in the original game had a multiplayer focus.

The gameplay was excellent back in the day, much like Goldeneye gameplay was back in the day, but is pretty much bad if you compare to today standard.There are some thing that dont age well, and well, Goldeneye and PD were the pioneers in the FPS genre, at least in the console space.

I agree Goldeneye and PD were pioneers in the genre, but that doesn't mean I think their great games per se. I mean games like Doom, Quake, and Duke 3D did the same. I credit the Rare games and even Turok for trying to make controls feel a little more realistic/weighty and raising the bar on narrative. The Medal of Honor PS1 games also deserve an honorable mention. Not much of this 5th gen content holds up well though.

Anywho, I'm pretty sure the general consensus is those old Rare games didn't age particularly well. They certainly can't just recreate that and expect a hit, which is fine for some genres.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
For the better if true. Considering how Gears 4 turned out to be, the Coalition seems to be a superior development team to Rare.

Even when Perfect Dark Zero came out I got the impression maybe Rare isn't the team for modern shooters.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

shikamaru317 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Then what FPS HAS aged well in the past few years? (Please don't say Call of Duty)

I'd say that Halo 2 has aged the best of any pre 2005 shooter. But really none of them have aged all that well, because the FPS genre has evolved alot since back then. Almost all of those older shooters are lacking things that most modern shooters have, such as regenerating health and sprinting. 

Halo 2 is a great answer, good campaign and the online is still actively played thank to MCC.

Half-Life 2 also a very notable game that raised the bar in the genre, Xbox version was playable.

Doom 3 certainly deserves an honorable mention, had a good Xbox port.

Then a few titles like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament titles. But the list of pre 2004 content I say hold up well is small.

Recently Completed

CaptainExplosion said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I agree Goldeneye and PD were pioneers in the genre, but that doesn't mean I think their great games per se. I mean games like Doom, Quake, and Duke 3D did the same. I credit the Rare games and even Turok for trying to make controls feel a little more realistic/weighty and raising the bar on narrative. The Medal of Honor PS1 games also deserve an honorable mention. Not much of this 5th gen content holds up well though.

Anywho, I'm pretty sure the general consensus is those old Rare games didn't age particularly well. They certainly can't just recreate that and expect a hit, which is fine for some genres.

Well Mario Odyssey is basically a recreation of Banjo-Kazooie and it's a huge hit.

Heh, Mario Odyssey is much more refined than the Banjo games on N64.

Like modern shooters, it falls in the same genre of N64 games but very different.

Recently Completed

hunter_alien said:
For the better if true. Considering how Gears 4 turned out to be, the Coalition seems to be a superior development team to Rare.

Yeah, I agree. The Coalition earned a lot of good will with Gears 4. I'm willing to trust them with the Perfect Dark property.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Nautilus said:

The gameplay was excellent back in the day, much like Goldeneye gameplay was back in the day, but is pretty much bad if you compare to today standard.There are some thing that dont age well, and well, Goldeneye and PD were the pioneers in the FPS genre, at least in the console space.

Just to be clear, the part that i dont think it holds that well today is the controls itself.Since then we had many improvements, such as dual analog sticks, better systems for shooting and so on.The rest, though, its as good as it once was.And honestly, I dont think there is one single game done in the last 10 years or so that tried to do a game like PD, in that you have a stage and multiples objectives in it, and being story focused at that(and a shooter game, obviosly).If a talented studio were to try its hands at that, we could be seeing a new masterpiece be born.

Just my teo cents of course.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Just to be clear, the part that i dont think it holds that well today is the controls itself.Since then we had many improvements, such as dual analog sticks, better systems for shooting and so on.The rest, though, its as good as it once was.And honestly, I dont think there is one single game done in the last 10 years or so that tried to do a game like PD, in that you have a stage and multiples objectives in it, and being story focused at that(and a shooter game, obviosly).If a talented studio were to try its hands at that, we could be seeing a new masterpiece be born.

Just my teo cents of course.

I don't mean just the hardware aspect of the control, but the games simply felt clunky.

Its been a while since I played PD and recall the multiple objectives, but I feel Deus Ex: HR did something along those lines. There were various ways to complete objectives, multiple paths, also a shooter, etc. I feel a new PD should actually be something similar to that but better gunplay if you choose that route.

Frankly, I'm sure there are plenty of games with elements similar to PD even if not doing exactly what PD has done.

Recently Completed

CaptainExplosion said:
Nautilus said:

Then what FPS HAS aged well in the past few years? (Please don't say Call of Duty)

For me one that has aged well is Tribes (once the community got involved and added mods). The future versions all basically added what the community did but probably not even as good.

Seeing is believing. Microsoft talks alot.

konnichiwa said:

The rumor is circulating a while now (check the Xbox empire thread more often =p).

But if you remember Coalition was named black Tusk before and they teased a game before working on Gears of War.

They probably work back on that game and make it into a Perfect Dark game

2013 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_jmHOnd-k

Except, there is no going back, there never was a game. It was a deceptive concept trailer. Or at the very best...

...Microsoft cancelled it.

Hunting Season is done...

Perfect Dark was one of my favourite games of all time on the N64. Zero was nothing like the original and that was made by Rare.

What MS did with Killer Instinct's Reboot was perfect, they found the right companies to look after such a beloved franchise. Hoping they can repeat that success with this rumoured Perfect Dark game.

I can also imagine Perfect Dark using the 2013 Tomb Raider gameplay for its next instalment. MS already own one of the best Sci-fi shooters in the industry, they don't really need another. Besides they always wanted there Uncharted/Tomb Raider style game and I personally think Perfect Dark fits in that genre so well. Just like Tomb Raider but with Sci-fi action.

Anyway if Perfect Dark gets a reboot or a Sequel it will blow my mind.