By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Mario Kart Wii review

9.3?!
I don't get it. What's so great about it? Is it all the fanwankery? Is there a sub-space emissions test that unlocks David Hasselhoff? It's not like it's really a racing game. I mean, it's not really a racing game like Forza or GT, it's just more of the Nintendo "WOW, dem sum brite purtee kulers!" kiddy stuff, right? I mean, how can you take it seriously as a driving game when you control it with a steering wheel?

Around the Network

In DD the "catch-up" was done with Items... the person in last place would get a star and lightning combo or something and jump like 4 spots... I hated that. I always wished for an item switch in MK.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Non cheating AI eh? Is it true the only battlemode with the baloons involves respawning and doesn't have a 1 and your done option?

Thanks for the review Chrizum. I was a little worried about this game with all of the negativity that was being thrown around, so it is good to hear that the game is what I expected it to be and more. Can't wait!

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

I hate IGN and their fanboy "console teams" review style more than anyone.

However, to be fair, Bozon hated on the game, but eventually they came around once they got into playing battle mode.

I still think they'll rate it an 8 or above, and I think the game will end up a solid 8.5 on gamerankings, which'll mean that it's another great Mario Kart game by Nintendo.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Chrizum said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Chrizum said:

ALL of these things are NOT true. IGN lied. MK Wii features all options you'd expect from a AAA Nintendo game. And that's surprising, considering Mario Kart never was an AAA franchise. MK Wii is the best Mario Kart EVER.

And what is that supposed to mean? Mario Kart has one of the most beloved and widely-loved games in Nintendo's arsenal since the SNES days.

True, but it never had great production values. All Mario Kart titles felt like they were handled by smaller development teams with smaller budgets, compared to other Nintendo franchises. In other words, the games lacked content and polish to be AAA.

That isn't to say the games weren't fun, MK is probably my favorite franchise ever.

I don't think they lacked polish or content at all.  The original introduced a lot of new or relatively new concepts (and did amazing things with the SNES).  About the only thing that could steal thunder from the original was F-Zero but F-Zero was pretty no frills for its day. Compare the two and you'll see just how much polish Super Mario Kart had with active environments, weapons, short cuts, battle mode...etc.

I doubt you remember the hype levels for Mario Kart 64 but they were huge.  You couldn't open a magazine without finding at least one article about Mario Kart 64 before and after it hit for quite a while. 

As a result, Mario Kart is probably one of the most famous racing games in the history of gaming.  It is almost the very definition of AAA.

I agree, Mario Kart has always been a AAA franchise. It is one of the most succesful franchises in gaming histoy, and a very important series for Nintendo. Production values have always been top notch when compared with games that were released at the same time, and each addition to the series generates enourmous hype.

fkusumot said:
9.3?!
I don't get it. What's so great about it? Is it all the fanwankery? Is there a sub-space emissions test that unlocks David Hasselhoff? It's not like it's really a racing game. I mean, it's not really a racing game like Forza or GT, it's just more of the Nintendo "WOW, dem sum brite purtee kulers!" kiddy stuff, right? I mean, how can you take it seriously as a driving game when you control it with a steering wheel?

What are you, trolling? That's a pretty dumb comment if you're serious.

As a gamer, you should first learn that the premise of a game means nothing when compared to its execution.

You're not a child, I assume. Don't act like one because we're on the internet, please.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I've got some frame drops in Daisy cenario and I didn't like battle beeing only with groups...

with 4 players my brother/cousins where complaining that in a 21" TV they can't see shit, but I think it is because they sux @ races. 

I played the whole day, this game kick some assess... btw, I already got a Message Board Card and unlocked a bunch of new stuff... but I won't spoiller...

www.cuidar.com.br

ZenfoldorVGI said:
fkusumot said:
9.3?!

As a gamer, you should first learn that the premise of a game means nothing when compared to its execution.

You're not a child, I assume. Don't act like one because we're on the internet, please.

fkusumot scores victim #1.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
fkusumot said:
9.3?!

Wow you really really really need a sarcasm detector. That was the most obvious case of sarcasm in days on this forum. Now if you are being sarcastic yourself then you are really subtle about it.