By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Mario Kart Wii review

I played MK Wii the entire day so I thought I'd write a small review for you silly Americans.

First of all, I expected NOTHING from this game. Thanks to IGN, who so far totally crushed the game, I thought this game would have very lackluster visuals, a bad framerate, no computer AI in multiplayer, only single races online, bad track design, no sense of speed and no tricks when using classic controls.

ALL of these things are NOT true. IGN lied. MK Wii features all options you'd expect from a AAA Nintendo game. And that's surprising, considering Mario Kart never was an AAA franchise. MK Wii is the best Mario Kart EVER.

GRAPHICS: 9.0
The game has great graphics, with great textures, lightning, it's running at 60 fps with 480p 16:9 with 12 players onscreen (online) and mayhem everywhere. My only (small) complaints are that backgrounds can get a bit blurry at times and some character models are less attractive than they were in Double Dash. I also dislike the onscreen interface, but that's nitpicking at best. The game really looks like a next-gen Mario Kart.

SOUND: 9.0
Soundwise, this game delivers. It has a great soundtrack, all the classic sound effects, and even the classic tracks have the music from the original version! Voices are not annoying, which is a relief.

GAMEPLAY: 9.0
Control is a very good or very bad, depending on your choice. The Wii Wheel sucks in my opinion. It's just way too loose for a game as frantic as MK. However, the Wiimote + Nunchuck combo is even better than the Gamecube controller! Powersliding works like a charm, snaking is removed, as well as all other annoying features MK was known for. The AI doesn't cheat anymore, which is a first for a MK title. Multiplayer is a blast as always, but online really works well too, and is probably more fleshed out than Brawl. This game is the ultimate Mario Kart!

LASTING APPEAL: 10
Like I said, multiplayer is a blast and online works perfectly. With 32 tracks, I will be playing this game till I die.

TOTAL: 9.3
Buy this game, NOW

Around the Network

Ugh! Where's my copy damn it????????

YEAAHHH!!! I was also a little worried with all of IGn's previews and the negativity they had....I can't wait for this game....One question, how are the new tracks???

Chrizum,

have u find any lag/frame drop inside the game ???

Time to Work !

The new tracks are great, but it was also a teriffic idea from Nintendo to include this many old ones (the selection is great).

I experienced no lag whatsoever. I played a game online with splitscreen, I'm from the Netherlands and we played against Japanese players: no lag. It's amazing.

Around the Network

I can't wait for this game. It's only 2 weeks to go. Can't wait.

i can confrim no lag, AT ALL

Wasn't there a complaint about no co-op in Grand Prix mode? Is that true?

darconi said:
Wasn't there a complaint about no co-op in Grand Prix mode? Is that true?

Nope, untrue. In fact, there's an even better mode than GP in multiplayer.

You can customize everything in this game, so you can actually create your own Grand Prix mode: how many tracks you want to play, what kind of items appear the most, the difficulty of the AI (or disable AI completely), to play the tracks in order, random, or by choice, etc.

Really, I can't believe how IGN managed to lie this much about this game. It has everything IGN said it wouldn't.

Or maybe the US version is the gimped one.

Chirizum thanks for letting us know on how good it is. Can't wait for U.S release.