By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Vita has all of the features you wish the Nintendo Switch had.

irstupid said:
TheBraveGallade said:
And the vita kinda failed because it tried to do everything in a world with galaxies and iphones instead on focusing on games

This. Unless the Vita or the Switch or whatever portable device you have is replacing your phone (meaning it makes calls) the extra need for all that is redundant. Everyone's shiny new phone will be more powerful, faster, have a better screen ect than any portable gaming system.

Do people not realize these are $1,000.00 phones. (Yes, mark-up cause they can trick people into thinking they aren't paying out the ear by trade-ins/renting)

I'd argue that the Vita failed because it didn't have a lot of "must play" games and the memory cards cost way too much (and the console had ZERO usable built in memory).

At the same time, it still had the features in the OP packed into a $250-$300 device back in 2012. And, in the plus side, the Switch is confirmed to get many new features in the near future, too.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Conina said:

I can't complain about the battery life of my Vita Slim.

My most demanding Vita game is Killzone Mecenary, there it reaches 4:20 hours with full brightness and 5 hours with medium brightness.

In Uncharted Golden Abyss it reaches 5 hours with full brightness and 5:20 hours with medium brightness.

Shovel Knight reaches 7:45 hours with full brightness and 9:30 hours with medium brightness. Visual novels, other indie games and PS1 games also reach a long battery life.

I...don't really consider those examples to be a good life battery expectancy. It just doesn't fit the way I play, and having a "handheld" that needs to be constantly plugged because the battery kept depleting is just bad, imo. Might as well give me the better version on a home console.

So 5 to 10 hours in one session without recharging ain't enough for you when you are away of your home? Then connect a slim power bank (10 - 15 aH) and you are at 20 - 40 hours. It is just an additional cable (you can leave the power bank in your pocket or lay it on a table or seat), not more annoying than a headphone cable.

From that list all I need in Switch is bluetooth headphone support and built in voice chat. Some more popular apps will come, but as long as we keep getting quality titles, who really cares? Your smartphone can do all of that and more. I think most of people just want Nintendo (handheld) console, not Nintendo phone or tablet.

Because I'm an asshole, I made a list of features that the Xbox Gold offered compared to PS3's free online. Most of the comments were "I don't use that" or "I don't want that."

With later consoles the argument became "I don't see the difference between 900p 30fps and 1080p 60fps" or " I don't want external HDD support. I just delete my games when I'm done."

I get it. I've done it myself. When you have a console, everything it does is awesome and everything it doesn't do is unnecessary. Like I said in the OP, all most of us care about are the games and being able to play them. Plus there's a ton of features the Switch has that other consoles don't. Hence, its success.

Rest assured, when these features get implemented, a lot of people who didn't care are going to love them. I've been that person, too!

I'd agree that I'd love to have some of these features. They also need to keep the UI clean, however, as I like how "Game-Centric" it is right now. If they can keep things clean, attractive, and (most importantly) fast, while implementing these features - go for it!

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

And yet Vita failed and Switch is huge succes. :D

SpokenTruth said:
d21lewis said:

Everybody hated Nintendo so I loved Nintendo. Now, everybody loves Nintendo so I guess I have to throw some hate their way.

First things first, the only thing that matters when it comes to a gaming console is the games. If a console has the games and the gaming experience that you're satisfied with, everything else is just extra. I could list a dozen features that the Xbox One and WiiU had that the PS4 didn't. It doesn't matter. People wanted the PS4 for its library and power. I can't argue with that.

-The meat of this topic-

The Switch launched in March and it's currently the fastest selling home console in history. I bought mine on day one and I love it! However, there's a list of features that I wish it had. I made a list. Strangely enough, when I look at my list of most wanted features, the PlayStation Vita had almost all of them!

• Bluetooth headphone support?
  • Wallpapers/Themes
  • Built in voice chat
  • Web browser
  • Netflix and other streaming services
  • Folders
  • Lock screen password/PIN
  • Camera
  • Backwards compatibility
  • Downloadable library of old games
  • Cross Console purchases
It's pretty crazy. I mean the Vita launched like five or six years ago and yet the newly released Nintendo Switch can't compare in terms of features. Am I the only one a little bothered by this?

Vita didn't launch with all that and the backwards compatibility is limited to games that you bought digitally on PSP.

Luckily, aside from Metal Gear Portable Ops and Final Fantasy Crisis Core, I was almost 100% digital on PSP! I hated UMDs. 😎

I fully agree with you on built-in voice chat (the phone app is an horrendous solution), bluetooth headset support, and themes. Although I doubt headset support will work well when wireless controllers are used (bluetooth limits, which is why I believe Sony did not add bluetooth headset support to PS4).

I do not care too much about streaming services and music players and such, though it would be nice (might make me ditch my entertainment tablet; though I have pretty much done that with my smartphone) I guess and it would add superficial value to the system for those that are just looking at features (the one place I can see it being useful is for parents that have their kids watch streaming stuff on the Switch as opposed to on other more open devices).

A web browser falls in the same category as streaming services (a tad more useful), but seeing how pretty much the PSV, Wii U, 3DS, and PS4's browsers were used to hack the system (and even for Switch, the mini browser used to log into Wi-Fi hotspots was used by hackers to get information about the system) I doubt Nintendo would risk it.

Backwards compatibility would be great. Though a similar effect might be achieved with VC and Wii U remakes/ports (maybe they can add support for 3DS titles on the eShop later on).

Miyamotoo said:
And yet Vita failed and Switch is huge succes. :D

No argument here. I'm not telling anyone to buy a Vita. Hell, I made the comparison thread years ago (which was some of my best work!) and said "Buy a 3DS instead!" I don't even play my Vita!

Anyway, I'm gone for a while. Talk amongst yourselves. 😴

Conina said:

So 5 to 10 hours in one session without recharging ain't enough for you when you are away of your home? Then connect a slim power bank (10 - 15 aH) and you are at 20 - 30 hours. It is just a cable, not more annoying than a headphone cable.

It's not for me, indeed. It's bad enough that my own mobile phone can't even sustain a whole day, I don't understand people who are happy with a 5-hour device. It just means unless you play in very short sessions that you'll have to plug it in once a day, or even more than once. Even without taking it outside home, my 3DS would die after two sessions, forcing me to plug it in - because of the way plugs are in my house, that's incredibly inconvenient. Had to carry the laptop's charger everytime I went to class because my laptop can't last more than 5 hours with medium brightness, and that's just terrible.

Having to own a power bank and carry it around to cover for the terrible battery life of these devices is an inconvenience that highlights how bad they are, even if it is a solution of some sort. Like I said, it doesn't fit my lifestyle, and if I have to keep them plugged everyday might as well take the home console option, with a nice big screen and a more comfortable controller. And even then I can't escape terrible battery life sometimes, such as the WiiU Gamepad dying more often than not.

EDIT: I sent this to a friend today. I think it sums me up pretty well: