By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo holding everything back for end of 2018 ??

Bayonetta 1+2, Kirby, DQ Builders, and Payday 2 all out in Q1. Sounds pretty decent to me. I know only two of those are Nintendo-published, but still.

If they can hit two first party, one 2nd (ala Hyrule Warriors), and two big 3rd party games for Qs 2,3, and 4, we'll be looking at another strong year.

Q2 already has DKC:TF, Hyrule Warriors, and Mario Tennis, plus Dark Souls and probably Wolfenstein 2. There's also no way they don't sneak a small Snipperclips/March of the Minis type game in the first half of the year.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

No, the ports mean there are no gaps.  Hence no shortage.  Sheesh.

These are all going to be among the system's top sellers for the year.  I strongly suspect most Wii U ports end up selling more on Switch than their original release.

I don't believe there are any more games coming for the first half of the year.  Five games in six months during the slow season is a packed schedule for one company.

If that's true then ewwwwww gross. 

not really when 3 of those games are ports and two are original. again, ports do not mean there's "no shortages". 

A lot of games we don’t know about will be released in 2018. I remember the switch only had 5 games and then games started flying in.

I think Dragon Quest XI is happening 1st half 2018.

April/May 2018 would be my guess for Japanese Golden Week.

Nautilus said:
habam said:

it was necessary because most switch games were wii u games that were hold back and needed to release scince they were already finished

I dont understand your point.Many games that release when a new gen starts probably starts as a previous gen title, but its moved to the other system because that system needs games.And Im talking first party here.So whats your point?

like the last of us, gran turismo 6 and god of war Ascension? Oh wait, they were all released on the PS3 in 2013.

Around the Network
habam said:
Nautilus said:

I dont understand your point.Many games that release when a new gen starts probably starts as a previous gen title, but its moved to the other system because that system needs games.And Im talking first party here.So whats your point?

like the last of us, gran turismo 6 and god of war Ascension? Oh wait, they were all released on the PS3 in 2013.

Like Mario, Xenoblade or ARMS?Oh wait, they were never said to come to the Wii U.

I really dont get your beef with Nintendo.Jealous of the Switch sucess?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
NightlyPoe said:

No, the ports mean there are no gaps.  Hence no shortage.  Sheesh.

These are all going to be among the system's top sellers for the year.  I strongly suspect most Wii U ports end up selling more on Switch than their original release.

I don't believe there are any more games coming for the first half of the year.  Five games in six months during the slow season is a packed schedule for one company.

not really when 3 of those games are ports and two are original. again, ports do not mean there's "no shortages". 

I agree that a whole season of ports is a shortage. There's too much criticism going around towards people that expect Nintendo to have a decent lineup. The only way Nintendo is going to hit a 100 million lifetime mark is if they have 4-5 new big name games a year, every year. And it isn't too much to expect exactly that, because they are still a gen behind, and moved their handheld dev teams to Switch. 

Nautilus said:

Like Mario, Xenoblade or ARMS?Oh wait, they were never said to come to the Wii U.

I really dont get your beef with Nintendo.Jealous of the Switch sucess?

Mario was almost certainly started as a wii u game scince development began way before the switch was even a thing or its hardware (tegra x1) existed.

IDK about Xenoblade.

Arms might be one of the only really made for switch games scince its preetty obviously easy, fast and cheap to make and far away from a aaa game.

I do own a switch, still no reason to not talk about facts and how poorly nintendo always treat their "old" consoles as soon as a new is on the horizon, especially compared to sony. As soon as the switchs successor is around the corner, expect the switch to be dropped just like the wii and wii u again.

Cerebralbore101 said:

I agree that a whole season of ports is a shortage. There's too much criticism going around towards people that expect Nintendo to have a decent lineup. The only way Nintendo is going to hit a 100 million lifetime mark is if they have 4-5 new big name games a year, every year. And it isn't too much to expect exactly that, because they are still a gen behind, and moved their handheld dev teams to Switch. 

I think it's because after a while people start just associating ideas with whether they are negative or not. Every time someone says anything remotely bad about Nintendo, you always get a comment like "Oh look, it's the NintenDOOM haters out here just shitting on Nintendo for no reason!" At a certain point attitudes become too simplistic. No, I'm not a hater I'm just saying this lineup isn't the most appealing, please don't lump me in with those people. Those kind of generalizations are usually a defense mechanism from people who don't want to admit nuanced negativity exists towards a company.

NightlyPoe said:

That's your odd definition.  To me, if a console is getting a steady diet of games that people are buying, then there is no shortage.

As someone who passed on the Wii U, I'm happy it looks like Nintendo is using the best games from it to bolster their lineup.

You say my definition is odd and then twist the discussion to "if a console is getting a steady diet of games then there's no shortage!". Yeah, duh, but if you remove context from any discussion you can make simplistic points like that. If you want a console that has a steady diet of games people are always buying, buy a PS4. It dwarfs the Switch in that respect and there are no shortages. But you know, I don't really want the Switch to be the PS4. I just want steady NEW content from one of the best gaming companies out there. And if that demand isn't being met, then I'm not just going to pretend like it is being met because of ports. Nintendo systems are already set to a much lower standard when it comes to games per console than any other console system, it's not like i'm expecting much. Just SOME big games in the first half of the year. If Nintendo can't do that then they are failing at what is more or less their defacto mission statement; to deliver exclusive experiences that sell consoles. And please don't respond with "WELL THESE PORTS SELL WELL SO BLAH BLAH BLAH". Honestly, anyone who doesn't expect ports and remasters to sell well are not paying attention to this generation at all. Really though, I don't think any of these games will sell the Switch... Mario Kart 8 was strong enough to do that even as a port but Donkey Kong and Hyrule Warriors will have minimal if not virtually no impact.

I like ports too, by the way. I think they're a great way of delivering content to people who want to access it more conveniently. New players and old get to enjoy great games. But I don't like it when that becomes a marketing gimmick to fill gaps in a console lineup. Pretty simple. God, I hate that I actually have to explain WHY I don't think this is a great lineup. Partially because I don't even believe this is the full lineup for the first half of the year, but also because I know I'll just be lumped in with the NintenDOOM crowd lol. I don't have a problem with you liking the lineup, that's perfectly fine. I'm just arguing based on the grounds you set up in your original reply.

Cerebralbore101 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Even as they moved their handheld teams to the Switch, don’t expect games from them right away. They also have to get used to the HD development which costs more and is more complex while it takes more time and manpower than a 3DS game. Sure they have the home console teams to help but they have their own projects too and you don’t just immediately “get” HD development within months of developing a game.

we’ll see down the road on how they’ll adjust. It’s only the first month of the year so we can expect more news moving forward.