By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch-The platform of ports and shovelware

curl-6 said:
Mnementh said:

Look at PS4 int the beginning. Tomb Raider, Skyrim, GTA V, Last of US - the PS4 was the pinnacle of recycled content. The lack of great new games led to Sony PR pushing The Order above what it was. If it had been marketed as a proper mid- to low-level game (which it was) the backlash wouldn't have been that big. But as PR painted it as major AAA-title the people were disappointed. Sony would've never done that, if they had proper AAA-material to show. Nintendo has looked at that. Ports work.

"PS4 did it too" doesn't make it okay though. PS4 rightly caught a lot of flak (to which I contributed) for overloading on reheated ports in place of actual substantial new games early in its life. It would be hypocritical of me to give Nintendo a free pass for doing the same.

At this stage, we're looking at Kirby and Mario Tennis representing the only significant new games of Q1-2 for the Switch. Both look like fine games, but they're hardly system sellers, and ultimately 2 games in half a year just isn't enough. Granted, there is still time for them to announce a surprise heavy hitter for May/June, but if they don't, that's a very lackluster first semester.

Well said curl-6

Around the Network

The Switch will have a lot of new games. Takes time for software companies to make games.

It's just way too early to complain about the lack of original content. I mean, 2018 has just started. We don't know what Nintendo's planning. They might give us a full Direct next week and this thread would already be irrelevant.

Flilix said:
It's just way too early to complain about the lack of original content. I mean, 2018 has just started. We don't know what Nintendo's planning. They might give us a full Direct next week and this thread would already be irrelevant.

Right. Nintendo will announce their new games when they think is a good time to do so, depending on how far the development is for these upcoming games. Of course there have been some exceptions like Zelda (5 years since it was announced), Metroid Prime 4 (likely due to avoiding backlash for Samus Returns on 3DS and to show that they’re working on something on Metroid for Switch), Pokémon (as a reply to the backlash of Ultra Sun/Moon coming to 3DS from the Pokémon Direct about a week before E3), and Fire Emblem (same as Metroid and Pokémon but is planned for 2018). And with what has transpired last year, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt for now to be able to announce games when they believe is a good time to do so.

They’re not desperate like they were back in 2012 when they showed games that wouldn’t get released until 3-5 years later in the January Direct. Plus I’m sure there are many Switch owners who haven’t played these Wii U ports before. They’re not likely gonna be interested in buying a Wii U for those games since the Switch is the latest console and will get more games in the future.

Wow, that's a bit harsh. As a Wii U and 3DS owner I don't feel compelled to buy a Switch yet due to the lack of new titles for me to play, but calling it a shovelware platform is a blatant lie, that or just being too bitter to accept reality.

Around the Network

Shovelware = Indie games I don't know/care about?

lol

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

lol

Pretty much yeah

darkrulier said:

lol

Pretty much yeah

Hmm... yeah, that's not shovelware... unless your talking about Shovel Knight ...but you know because of the pun, not because it's the actually the term that is "shovelware". Sorry to explain the joke, but I feel like this is a topic I need to be specific about with you.

darkrulier said:

lol

Pretty much yeah

That's not what shovelware is considered to be I believe. The definition is a bit up for debate though. I kind of see what you mean, though, so fair enough m8. I think the Switch has a fair amount of interesting indies though. Some are even the most anticipated titles this year(AWAY!)

darkrulier said:

lol

Pretty much yeah

Well that's not really shovelware then. There are plenty of games (indie, AAA, B-game, etc) that I don't care for or know about that others enjoy; it is very insulting to the devs of some of these indie games (many of which are quite good) to call their software crap just because it does not appeal to you or me. Shovelware is software that is often broken or branded as a game when it is not really one. Licensed video games or software masquerading as a video game with little genuine effort behind them (ie the games were not developed to be good games but rather to promote some other product) that were released alongside a popular movie of tv shows are what can be considered shovel ware (btw I am not talking about all licensed products, there were quite a few games that were also released in order to cross promote another product that were good and had a decent effort behind it). The Wii waggle games (a good example of this; though there of course other examples on other systems), where often the core gameplay was broken or non-existent are another example of shovel ware. An indie game or another game that does not capture your personal interest does not really qualify as such.