By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - At what point do you lose/gain interest in a game based on review scores?

At what point do you lose interest in a game based on review scores?

8.5 2 6.45%

8 1 3.23%

7.5 3 9.68%

7 4 12.90%

6.5 13 41.94%

5.5 5 16.13%

4 1 3.23%

4.5 0 0%

4 0 0%

3.5 or below. 2 6.45%

Total:31

Judging only by review score, anything under 9 is probably not worth it. I'd say 9,5 is where I lose interest.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I actually never consider reviews when choosing which game to buy.
I prefer to watch gameplay videos and check the game´s website to see if it catches my interest.
There are some games that got generally average or poor reviews that I tried and had lots of fun, like Doctor Lautrec (3ds) and ZombiU (WiiU), while some high-acclaimed games like GTA and CoD are not interesting to me at all.

Ka-pi96 said:
Azuren said:

A game is considered a waste of time and money with a score of 30-69 on Metacritic . Don't buy. Don't worry about it. It's really not worth checking out unless you're a die-hard fan of the IP. Even then, you shouldn't be paying full price for rubbish like this.

But Dynasty Warriors typically gets between 30 and 69 and those games are AWESOME!

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

p0isonparadise said:
Anything under 85 on Metacritic is a cause for concern.

Nonsense. 

Splatoon 2 is one of my favorite games this year, especially after all the free DLC that has released since launch. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Ka-pi96 said:
People actually base their purchasing decisions on review scores? huh.

Apparently so. Especially those that only look at the Meta scores.

I base mine on personal research, friends, and general word of mouth. I'll still look at site reviews, but those hardly sway me as much, unless a game is bugged to hell, or it's a bad port.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Actually read the review first. A score from slant for example says nothing to me, so I have to actually read the article. No matter how garbage it is.

Review scores are impossible to trust if have great or no interest in a game. You're likely to buy or ignore them no matter what.

Sometimes games fall into the low 70s that I'm very interested in and still I get them. Normally it seems like if a game is in the less than 60 range, there's a good reason to avoid it.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

If it's below the 70s range, it moves to "is there a demo to try first?" category. Some of my favorite games have been low 80s/upper 70s in terms of crititcal response. I can still enjoy a game with some deep flaws. That being said. If you're looking at a sub-70 score - I'm not paying $60 as the admission price.

Used baby! :)

EDIT: As an answer to your second question: anything 90+ takes me off of the fence and into Buy-Land. If I wasn't at least thinking about it before, I'm probably not going for it either way. Reviews have some sway, but I put personal interest in the type of games way ahead of that. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Ka-pi96 said:

As far as how much money I spend, yes. A game has to be pretty awful for me to not want it at all, though.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Ka-pi96 said:

Why wouldn't they? If the average game review on a game you were looking forward to ends up at like 5 or less, then that usually means there's something significantly wrong with the game. 

It shouldn't, but it does. 

It's the same reason I lose interest if the average is less than a 7/10 on average. it's not that I think the game isn't worth playing, it's that I only have limited time to play games, and limited money in which to buy games. I tend to only buy and play games that I expect to like or love. "Mediocre" games tend to not get my attention, and almost all games that are considered good or great have average review scores of 7 or higher. 

So yeah, of course review scores will influence what I buy. While I have disposable income, I can't gamble on a game I'm not sure of, and review scores are a good way to help determine and control the flow of cash. 

Except Yooka-Laylee. That game was great despite the reviews being mediocre/poor. PEople were complaining about it being what it was, when what it was was intended to be exactly as it is. Ah well.