By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - At what point do you lose/gain interest in a game based on review scores?

At what point do you lose interest in a game based on review scores?

8.5 2 6.45%

8 1 3.23%

7.5 3 9.68%

7 4 12.90%

6.5 13 41.94%

5.5 5 16.13%

4 1 3.23%

4.5 0 0%

4 0 0%

3.5 or below. 2 6.45%

Total:31

For those of you that use review scores to decide to buy a game, at what point do you say no to a game? Or to put it another way, how low does a reviewer (or the meta/opencritic score) have to score a game for you to lose interest? 

Personally, I usually won't buy a game unless it has 8/10 on my own custom Opencritic settings. I am in the process of putting that to the test though. 

Edit: I just realized that I buy more games based on high review scores, than I choose to not buy games based on low review scores. So I might as well ask that question too. 

How well received (by critics) does a game have to be in order for you to greatly consider buying it? 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 08 January 2018

Around the Network

If it's under 82 / 100 I wont look at it.

Ka-pi96 said:
People actually base their purchasing decisions on review scores? huh.

Sure. Some of us don't buy things like Life Of Black Tiger because we know its bad thanks to reviews...

Anything under 95.

Ka-pi96 said:
KLXVER said:

Sure. Some of us don't buy things like Life Of Black Tiger because we know its bad thanks to reviews...

You can't tell that by looking at screenshots, a description of the game or a gameplay video?

You can, but why would I if the game gets like a 12 on metacritic?

Around the Network

Anything under 85 on Metacritic is a cause for concern.

I look at review scores to see what 'the average' person would rate the games

But I only take into consideration reviewers that have a similar game taste/view as me because their scoring would be more reflective on my opinion as compared to other reviewers

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Anything under an avg. of 60/100 requires a deeper investigation, under a 70 requires a few reviews read and deliberation... the cut-off point would be 50/100 I suppose.

I don't even look at metacritic all that much. I will only use it as a opener tool I'm that it is the first thing I look for in a game. If it has like 60 or below I don't bother with the game. Otherwise I just see what everyone else's opinion on the game through social media. I trust regular people more than critics to be honest.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I read pretty much anything I think I might be interested in that's hitting 60 on average or higher... in my experience there are the occasional games that I actually enjoy which have a mixed reception, though generally not $60's-worth of entertainment.