By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - And who was it that said exclusives were not important?

Lonely_Dolphin said:
LivingMetal said:

So why is the Switch outselling the Xbox One?

For a variety of reasons, but before I spend effort answering, I'd like to know what this has to do with anything? Unlike Xbox and Playstation, exclusives, or more specifically Nintendo games, are the driving force behind Nintendo systems.

So are exclusives not a primary factor in sustaining viability for a platform provider?

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Finally someone brings this up! Only 3 out of the top 20 PS4 games are exclusives, so while still important, they're clearly not the driving force some make them out to be.

That's a flawed reasoning.

The more quality options you have to chose from, the more interest will inevitably spread out across different titles instead of focusing on one that'll show up nicely on the charts. ("1-2-Switch" didn't sell over a million because it's particularly more attractive than 99% of games on the market.)
And the more super popular casual centric titles are released over time, the more they will dominate the top spots of the charts, regardless of how well the other exclusives (realistically) sell.

Let's say we have 100 gamers who are unsure of which console to buy, but they all want to play GTA Vice City.
It's on both PS2 and XB. So what's the tie breaker?
It can be many different things, but the most common one imo, aside from price, is other games.

So in the end all 100 of them buy GTA VC, 20 of them buy FFX, 8 of them buy Shadow of Colossus, 5 of them buy Onimusha 3, 4 of them buy Ace Combat 5, etc.

GTA Vice City will show up nicely on the charts because it's appeal is consistent across the board with both the casual and the core audience, but while people like you will dismiss Onimusha 3 because it's not on the charts, GTA is not all they ever play. And while taste varies more outside of those super popular titles, those game sales do add up when you put them together, and they are a relevant factor in why people chose a particular platform.

The first half of 2017 was the strongest first half sales wise for PS4 in its history. Notable titles that released during that window were:

Resident Evil 7
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Gravity Rush 2
Yakuza 0
Nier: Automata
Persona 5
Nioh
Kingdom Hearts 2.8

I'm not saying those exclusives (RE7 and ME:A were multiplatform) were the main driving force behind the sales, but they made a significant difference.
In spite of the fact that several of the above mentioned titles sold millions of copies, they will never appear on the charts.
But do not dismiss their importance because of that. Choice is one of the most important things to have. And that's not a factor that is properly measured by charts.

Again I never said exclusives weren't important, but they're not the main reason why most people buy PS4s.

CGI-Quality said:
SKMBlake said:

I'm not saying all of the PS4 exclusives will be forgotten (that's why I wrote "I wonder how many"), and, as a person who is a huge fan of the God Of War, Uncharted and Gran Turismo series, I know how good Playstation exclusives can be and how they entered the list of the greatest games ever.

Which then makes the statement even more bizarre. That could be said of any device with lots of games. Why single out one of them?

Because the OP talked about how PS4 exclusives show exclusives are important. It's reductive to think that the greatest example of how exclusives affect tje greatness of a console or its sales is the PS4

Seems exclusives only doesn't matter when your platform lacks them. Sure you can talk about quality over quantity, but when your competitors are kicking ass on both fronts.. the truth is in the pudding.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Exclusives matter but image matters most.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Again I never said exclusives weren't important, but they're not the main reason why most people buy PS4s.

And I agree with that. I just wouldn't measure that by looking at what games are in the Top 20 charts for Playstation.

If not sales, what else can you use to measure?

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Hiku said:

And I agree with that. I just wouldn't measure that by looking at what games are in the Top 20 charts for Playstation.

If not sales, what else can you use to measure?

How about variety?! Trust in the company to always, even during the last years of the console, deliver lots of new quality titles and new IPs. Additionally to the usual stuff everybody is playing, ergo multiplats.

A wide variety of games appeals to a larger group of people. Easy as that.

Its all about power. Thats why xbox one x will be the most successful system this gen

Exclusives aren't the only driving force behind sales. But they can be significant during a console's market cycle. For some gamers it's the reason they buy a console. For some it isn't; they look to what their friends have or what's the cheapest option to play the next sports game and CoD on.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Exclusives play a roll, but let's be honest here Microsoft fucked up the launch so hard it didn't really even at the start become a factor.

DRM issue and getting half of the halo collection on disc + having to download the rest of the game killed it for me without even considering what the positives were for XBOX.

Sony on the other hand waited to see how the gamers reacted to DRM before announcing their intentions and when the backlash come played up being saviors against DRM and it worked.

From that point Sony has hit every right note and has grown stronger and stronger and now we are seeing great exclusives that may not all have been exclusive if Microsoft didn't fuck up hard and fall so far behind the race.

Even now Microsoft's answer was just let's make an upgrade more powerful than the PS4 Pro without really anything behind it to showcase it.