By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood anti catholic bullshit needs to stop

Ganoncrotch said:
WolfpackN64 said:

I can understand the scepticism. To be honest, I've left the church for 6 years because of what happened. I have a family member who was misused by a priest. He has a mental disorder which means it took years for him to tell the whole story.

Recently, even though the case is expired, his parents were asked to a meeting with the bishop. They were offered an sincere apology and monetary compensation for the psycological aid that he had to receive. It came late, very late. But at least it goes to show they it seriously. The national catholic newspaper (run by the church) has a big "report abuse" section on the main page. They're starting to compensate for cases that have long been closed and instead of shuffeling offenders around, some are being thrown out of the church.

As you say at least it is a start, very sorry to hear about the family member of yours, tragic stuff when it comes to someone with mental disorders, would think that was very hard for them to try to understand what was going on.

Appreciated. It's this that makes me understand criticism towards the church. Many people in the church were also furious about it. But eventually, I rejoined. I decided for myselfs that my believes aren't necessarily tied to the church as institute. But I think the church can be very valuable to a lot of people. That's why I want to try and help the institute change for the better and be the best it can. Such change has to come from within and it requires every catholic to be active in trying to change things for the better.

Around the Network
epicurean said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Not just 'The Church' but religion in general.

People in positions of power have always tried to control the lower population with threats of disobedience. Whether that be prision, hell, detention etc.

What better way of controlling people is there to say, there is a God, we have communicated with him, he has given us instructions and if you don't follow you'll burn in hell forever. 

But what actions exactly, in present day, do you think religion is trying to control and for what purpose?

I was referring to the originators of the religions. In present day it's more to do with genuine believe and monetary gain.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

epicurean said:
For those talking about the Big Bang - I'm interested to hear the atheist view of what caused it/how it happened. I know this is purely ideas without facts, but the idea that the universe exploded into existence from basically nothing seems very...powerful. I'd love to hear your theories.

My view is based on an Ancient Greek idea:  there are a limited number of ways that mathematics can be formulated.  This has no requirement for a creator.  Physics is based on Mathematics.  Therefore the Universe exists because Mathematics predicts it.  The Universe is Mathematics observing itself.

there is no difference between Mathematics and reality.  Separating the two is saying “reality is special”, in the same way as we used to think that the Earth was special.

ArchangelMadzz said:
epicurean said:

But what actions exactly, in present day, do you think religion is trying to control and for what purpose?

I was referring to the originators of the religions. In present day it's more to do with genuine believe and monetary gain.

I can understand that belief when the Romans adopted it (Christianity), but the actual originators largely died for their beliefs (disciples, Paul, people thrown to the lions, etc.) What are your ideas for their creation? Popularity, perhaps? Fame?

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

WolfpackN64 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

No, it would mean god COULD move everything we do, and chooses not to. 

See how easy it is to just make things up and keep it consistent with reality?

Indeed, he can act as a mover additionally when he wants, but his action is not necessary for our own actions directly.

But I've just made that up. 

This argument is meaningless because you can keep adding things and your own definitions and ideas because this isn't based on any evidence or observations. As someone said it's circular reasoning that can go on forever.

Why is A like this? 
Because of B.
Then why is B like this?
Because of A.

etc.

Around the Network
OneTime said:
epicurean said:
For those talking about the Big Bang - I'm interested to hear the atheist view of what caused it/how it happened. I know this is purely ideas without facts, but the idea that the universe exploded into existence from basically nothing seems very...powerful. I'd love to hear your theories.

My view is based on an Ancient Greek idea:  there are a limited number of ways that mathematics can be formulated.  This has no requirement for a creator.  Physics is based on Mathematics.  Therefore the Universe exists because Mathematics predicts it.  The Universe is Mathematics observing itself.

there is no difference between Mathematics and reality.  Separating the two is saying “reality is special”, in the same way as we used to think that the Earth was special.

How did mathematics predict it? Infinite time and randomness?

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

epicurean said:

Not atheist, and not trying to answer your question. Just bringing up more questions I never can understand in regards to science.

Always thought there was a rule in science that you can't create something from nothing. So how did the big bang? or was everything all compacted into one tiny ball and exploded? What was outside that ball before it exploded? Nothing? What is nothing? Another universe? Where did that initial ball of energy/matter/ect come from. How does everything in the universe, stars, planets, matter, ect all fit into a tiny spec/ball/whatever the big bang was before the bang.

The universe is supposedly infinite, yet expanding. How can something that is infinite be expanding. What is just past the part that is expanding? Again, another universe? Nothing? How can something just be infinite. How can something never end, but in the same sense, how can something end. What would be at the end of a universe if it could end.

These "big" questions that science is always answering always seem like they have contradictions in themselves, or more questions pop up than questions get answered.

ArchangelMadzz said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Indeed, he can act as a mover additionally when he wants, but his action is not necessary for our own actions directly.

But I've just made that up. 

This argument is meaningless because you can keep adding things and your own definitions and ideas because this isn't based on any evidence or observations. As someone said it's circular reasoning that can go on forever.

Why is A like this? 
Because of B.
Then why is B like this?
Because of A.

etc.

Probably because we're not communicating clearly. I didn't state anything here that I didn't state earlier or that wasn't encompassed by the original theory. I merely stated a possible affect, I didn't add anything to the argument.

epicurean said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I can understand that belief when the Romans adopted it (Christianity), but the actual originators largely died for their beliefs (disciples, Paul, people thrown to the lions, etc.) What are your ideas for their creation? Popularity, perhaps? Fame?

If they genuinely believed then they believed. To tell people to not eat certain foods, to not wear clothes of 2 different cloth, no seafood for fear of burning forever. I don't know how you would describe it but to me it seems like an obvious device to control the population and keep them in line.

epicurean said:

The Big Bang theory doesn't state the universe exploded into existence from nothing or basically nothing. That really isn't close to the big bang theory at all.