By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does Wii Really Get A Bad Rap?

GhaudePhaede010 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

So it seems as if you didn't start this thread to get people's actual opinions, but rather try and school people why their distaste for Wii is incorrect? 

I stated everything about my intentions in the opening thread. I said I would challenge people (especially from a factual basis) and that is what I have done here. Every opinion is super important to me and extremely valid. I just want to be sure that people understand where their opinion and facts may not align. And also to maybe correct me if I am wrong about something.

I am doing this for research as much as anything but do not act like because I raise some counterpoints that I did not make myself and my intentions clear from the jump.

Well to be fair you haven't really challenged anyone who just say "The Wii is great" though. Or are you just interested in why people don't like it?

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I stated everything about my intentions in the opening thread. I said I would challenge people (especially from a factual basis) and that is what I have done here. Every opinion is super important to me and extremely valid. I just want to be sure that people understand where their opinion and facts may not align. And also to maybe correct me if I am wrong about something.

I am doing this for research as much as anything but do not act like because I raise some counterpoints that I did not make myself and my intentions clear from the jump.

Well to be fair you haven't really challenged anyone who just say "The Wii is great" though. Or are you just interested in why people don't like it?

He was really the first person I really engaged as I has just come back home.

I specifically asked about Wii backlash and, "hate" so it would be expected that I would address that since that is the topical stuff.

I did not really see any, "Wii is great" posts... just a couple people that were not as negative as others but again it was before I came back.

I explicitly said I would do exactly what I have done.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

The thread title is pretty clear, isn't it?

True, but wouldn't it be good to see both sides of the argument? I mean a console cant really be good if all we hear about it is the bad.

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

- It disrupted the narrative that Sony always beats Nintendo. Many PS fans could never forgive it for beating the PS3.

Then they'd need to really look at history. Sony beat the PS3. Nintendo just wisely helped them. ;)

I Disagree. Tom Kalinske has said that the key to success is based on the idea that to win, you must either do what the other guy isn't doing or is unwilling to do. Nintendo won that generation because they tapped into a consumer market that Sony didn't have the foresight to see. They outwitted them and did what they weren't doing. By the time Sony made the PS Move, it was too late. Far too late. 

Nintendo won because their guys were smarter than Sony's guys.

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

True, but wouldn't it be good to see both sides of the argument? I mean a console cant really be good if all we hear about it is the bad.

There are no indicators that positive responses aren't welcome. The OP is pretty clear that he understands why people would like the Wii, but he isn't anywhere close to as sure why someone would hate it. That puts more emphasis on the bad rap, but that isn't a problem.

Its pretty easy to see why many people don't like it though. There are some more questionable reasons, but people who hate motion controls will not like this console. Also it being underpowered, full of shovelware, missing a ton of features the other consoles had, the family friendly image it got etc... Its pretty easy to see.

I personally can look past all that when we get games like Mario Galaxy, but not everyone believe that's enough.

Around the Network

The Wii had about as many bad games as the PS1. That is, A LOT. It makes it easy to hate the system, but truthfully, the Wii had so many good games in all kind of niches that it's a true gamer's console first and foremost.

I actually think Wii and PS1 have many similarities: both are systems which broke through the mainstream, had many family-oriented games, had the "cool-factor", a huge library (both good and bad), extremely good Japanese support, and games were easy to pirate.

Wii's controller was a blessing and a curse ultimately. Nintendo should have bundled the Wii motion plus with the Wii from the get-go.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
KLXVER said:

But compared to the PSP, it was very underpowered...

True, but IMO the quality difference between the 360 and Wii was more pronounced than DS vs PSP. Especially considering DS had some amazing software that was comfortable to hold and game with, no waggling required. 

I bought a PSP when it first came out and was blown away by its power and multimedia capabilities. Soon thereafter however, I became bewildered due to the lack of compelling (for me anyway) software and went to Gamestop to flat out trade it in for a DS and a few games. When I walked into the place and plopped it down onto the counter, telling the snarky teenage employee what my intention was, he said in a voice that only snarky teenage Gamestop employees are capable of "What?!?" picking up the PSP and looking at it with awe "Why would you do that?!?! The games look so beautiful!" I just rolled my eyes and replied "Yeah... so did Gamegears games." His eyes snapped out of the daze they were in and then he laughed and said "Yeah... I guess you're right."

I ended up getting a DS Phat and a few games for the trade in and never looked back. It seems like there's a subculture of gamers who will never understand that good games can exist outside of technical prowess. Sure, good games can also look amazing... but they can also look like shit. 

CGI-Quality said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I Disagree. Tom Kalinske has said that the key to success is based on the idea that to win, you must either do what the other guy isn't doing or is unwilling to do. Nintendo won that generation because they tapped into a consumer market that Sony didn't have the foresight to see. They outwitted them and did what they weren't doing. By the time Sony made the PS Move, it was too late. Far too late. 

Nintendo being “smarter than Sony” last gen was only part of the bottom line. Sony’s own mistakes were the biggest reason they got beaten to the degree that they did. 

Is making such colossal mistakes not a sign of being less "smart" than the competition? Furthermore, could not almost every generation-losing system have been said to have suffered primarily from their own mistakes? In addition to PS3, it can be said of N64, Saturn, Gamecube, Vita, Wii U...

CGI-Quality said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Nintendo being “smarter than Sony” last gen was only part of the bottom line. Sony’s own mistakes were the biggest reason they got beaten to the degree that they did. 

Last gen? The PS4 beat the Wii U into a pile of sawdust, snorted the remains and then sneezed the mixture of snot and defeat right back into their faces. There is no argument who had the better business strategy as far as the 8th generation goes.

But when it comes to the 7th generation, there's no question... Nintendo saw a market that Sony did not and lulled them in by making a product that they would want to buy. Sony didn't even SEE those people. Didn't know they were there and that's why Nintendo won. 

KLXVER said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

And what button do I push in Galaxy to jump into a warp star (or whatever it was called)? What button do I press in Odyssey to throw Mario's hat in a perfect circle trough the flowers? 

Well first of all just because you feel the need to violently shake the controller doesn't really say anything about anything except you. 

Its like me saying its annoying that I have to punch the buttons on the PS4 controller. I can do that, but I don't need to. 

You can do a circle motion with the analog stick and then press the button to throw the cap in a perfect circle in Mario Odyssey. Its a bit clumsy, but you can do it.  

Wait......you're telling me i dont have to punch buttons?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.