By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Weekly Hardware Chart - DECEMBER 9TH 2017

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

So wheres your proof that it had shortages?

I mean if you look at the graph and can't see it i'm sorry. mario is the  biggest gaming franchise, and best selling 64 game, not to mention it shat on everything at the time, from graphics, to controls. it was revolutionary. you think N64 wasn't sold out with such a small amount of sales.  it also had mario kart 64 come out in december, i mean come on.

Im not claiming it didnt have shortages, i want proof that it did, that chart is proof of nothing.

Mario Kart came out in Feb in the US, not Dec.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Why there is so many post talking about KH making PS4 sell good this holiday if KH3 is to release with luck at the end of 2018

I didnt understand that either.

Kristof81 said:
If we take PS3 and PSP figures as an indicators, then both of those consoles had their peaks in year 4, which PS4 just passed. In year 5 we'll see either the same numbers or slight drop, but I seriously doubt that PS4 will reach 100 million mark by the end of 2018. It should reach 110 million by end of 2019 and 130M LTS.

Its gonna have a 21m or so year this year in 2017..... ending up around 74-75m.

If it does another 19-20m next year, it "could" end 2018 around 94m.

It ll be over 100m early in 2019 (not at the end of it).

130m LTS sounds right.

Amazing week PS4, already 2M+ ahead of the Nintendo 3DS!

Christmas week is going to be insane!

OMG PS4 goes up to 21-22 million this year!!!

PS4 will have its peak year in 2018 and will destroy the competition once more. With games like Spiderman, MH, Kingdom Hearts 3, probably first FF7 remake, Ni no Kuni 2, DQ11 ( best version ) RDR, FC5, God of War and many other titles, and a price cut to both ps4 and pro will do a 25 millions+ year, there is no way Switch can compete this year. Next December numbers will be even higher than in 2017

Around the Network
Pillertriller said:
PS4 will have its peak year in 2018 and will destroy the competition once more. With games like Spiderman, MH, Kingdom Hearts 3, probably first FF7 remake, Ni no Kuni 2, DQ11 ( best version ) RDR, FC5, God of War and many other titles, and a price cut to both ps4 and pro will do a 25 millions+ year, there is no way Switch can compete this year. Next December numbers will be even higher than in 2017

I want to believe on the 25M sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

fatslob-:O said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

In Japan probably yeah, in the US I don't think so as the PS4 is still leading sales despite the Switch's success, in Europe not a chance in hell!

Which is why he said, "it will remain behind worldwide" ... 

I also don't think it's likely that the Switch will outsell the PS4 in the US but if history is anything to go by, there are at least 2 portable Nintendo systems which were able to cross 40M units (not counting GBC with GB since GBC had actual exclusive killer apps, massive mistake on VGC's part to GBC figures with GB) so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Switch could outsell PS4 in the US providing if Xbox remains as strong competition ... 

I think I might have finally figured out the reason why GBA did better than the 3DS in both WW and especially in the US and why Switch might not be able to reach the same heights ... 

If people take a look at the GBA software sales one would get the impression that GBA had weaker system sellers compared to the 3DS but despite having less killer apps in comparison to the 3DS, GBA managed to soundly beat it in hardware sales and I think it's because there is less overlap in appeal in GBA system sellers compared to 3DS system sellers. In spite of 3DS having more to work with (3D Mario, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, other simulation games and not mention strong 3rd party titles such as Monster Hunter or Yokai Watch) than the GBA did it is becoming increasingly clearer that the average Nintendo customer's taste in games is becoming far more entangled than it ever was before and it's partially the reason why the WII U failed to reach the general consumer even when Nintendo had released 6 out of their 8 core franchises ... 

Most Nintendo's first entry on the Switch with their flagship franchises will sell better than their first entries with the 3DS did yet both will end up having similar hardware numbers by the end of this year ... 

This overlap could end up being the Switch's undoing as Nintendo's games keep appealing to more of their established userbase than not ... 

GBA did have weaker system sellers, iirc only Pokemon broke 10 million, but the 3DS itself was a poorer executed system in a market no longer Nintendo owned thanks to Vita (lel) and mobile. I think the higher amount of big name games is why the 3DS despite it's blunders and increased competition will only be less than 10 million behind GBA.

While the hardware numbers are similar despite Switch's superior excecution, it's in a better position for the long run than 3DS as it didn't need an $80 price cut on top of a $10 value saving bundle. Assuming Nintendo has another great consistent games line-up for 2018, Switch should outpace 3DS' second year which was flat due to droughts.

Pillertriller said:

errrr....... o...k

Intrinsic said:
Pillertriller said:

errrr....... o...k

its actually very possible. ps4 will 199$ probably for the full month of november, and december. Red dead redemption 2, and spider man, could be move consoles like nothing before.

quickrick said:
Intrinsic said:

errrr....... o...k

its actually very possible. ps4 will 199$ probably for the full month of november, and december. Red dead redemption 2, and spider man, could be move consoles like nothing before.

I dont think he was disputing that, more like he just thought it was an incredibly random post that has nothing to do with the thread.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.