By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will 3DS owners migrate to Switch, and in what capacity?

It's been a slow-but-active process, but we'll see a large increase whenever Pokemon Switch comes out.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

I've been playing a ton of 3DS lately. In terms of the hardware aesthetic, the 3DS (specifically the "New 3DS") is right up there with the GBA SP and DSi as being my favorite handheld designs.

3DS games I've been playing:

Metroid: Samus Returns
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Remake)
Pokemon Ultra Moon
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns

I also have a fairly large backlog of games that I've been meaning to get to. I'd hate to see the 3DS disappear, as I was a fairly late adopter and it just doesn't feel that old to me yet.

In Japan I would say this migration is well on the way based on sales. The Switch is massively outselling all other Nintendo handheld variations combined in that country where the handheld is king. 3DS family sales are in fast decline (BUT still relevant).

Switch games dominate the charts more than the old DS family in Japan (and globally come to think of it).

When the biggest Nintendo franchise of all, Pokemon, say goodbye to the DS family you know things are moving on. Fire Emblem and pretty much every other DS game is probably now being planned for the Switch.

Nintendo is a business and its primary goal is to make money and be successful.

If I was the man at Nintendo I would somehow find a way to feed the new kid on the block, the Switch, while at the same time milking some more money from the old daddy, the 3DS/2DS.

I would also want EVERYONE that owns a 3DS to pick up a Switch ASAP. To migrate. I believe they are achieving this.

Mandalore76 said:
Pemalite said:
Price is what makes it attractive for parents buying for kids. - The 3DS probably has a few years of life left in her still.

For me though, I won't buy Switch until Nintendo releases a Switch TV or something that ditches the display, joycons, dock, battery and sells it at a lower price.

Or takes it in the opposite direction and makes a Switch XL with a larger, higher quality display, larger capacity battery and such.

Everything I said wasn't wrong. It was my opinion.

Mandalore76 said:

The 2 things you are asking for both eliminate the Switch's main feature and selling point:  Portability.

Who gives a crap? It's what I want. It's not about you.

Mandalore76 said:

If a Switch TV can only hook up to the TV, it's not a "Switch" anymore.

Again. Who gives a crap? It's what I want.
It's not like the regular Switch console ceases to exist either.

Mandalore76 said:

The Switch concept is being able to seemlessly take your console gaming session on the go with you.

Obviously I don't give a crap if it's portable, making your entire argument redundant.

Mandalore76 said:

I don't see a version being released that can't do that.

I never said it was/wasn't something that was on the cards. It is just what I want.

Mandalore76 said:

Also, why ditch the joycons? Playing with detached joycons is the most relaxing way to play games since the wiimote and nunchuck.  I do connect them to the joycon grip in certain situations, but the majority of the time I layback on my couch or recliner with each joycon separate in each hand.  Why eliminate the option?

Because they would be superfluous with the Pro controller.

Mandalore76 said:

As for the Switch XL, a larger capacity battery or screen would be nice, but the Switch screen is already quite large as far as handheld devices go.

I am an Adult, with large hands. It needs to be bigger. Again. It is what I want, my post wasn't about you or what you wanted.

Mandalore76 said:

Something larger would hinder it's portability, which again would counter its greatest asset.

False. I have a JXD s7800 with a 7" screen. It's fine from a size perspective and remains perfectly portable, in-fact I wouldn't complain if it trended closer to 8".

Mandalore76 said:

In it's current state, I can slip it into most of my jacket pockets without even detaching the joycons. If it can't fit in my pocket, then I can't take it with me through the park while I walk my dog.  For me, that eliminates at least an hour of time per day that I've gotten use out of the Switch, therefore reducing the device's usefullness.

Congratulations. But I can do the same with the above... So your argument is moot.

RaptorChrist said:
I've been playing a ton of 3DS lately. In terms of the hardware aesthetic, the 3DS (specifically the "New 3DS") is right up there with the GBA SP and DSi as being my favorite handheld designs.

I have the New 3DSXL, I have tried to like it... I really have.
The 3D effect is cool when a game supports it. (Not all 3DS titles do.)

But the lack of app support (Youtube is better in the browser than the App for instances), low-resolution screens and small size just doesn't work for me.

I was hoping when I got it that I could load it up with a heap of 3D video, but that was a colossal waste of time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mandalore76 said:
Pemalite said:
Price is what makes it attractive for parents buying for kids. - The 3DS probably has a few years of life left in her still.

For me though, I won't buy Switch until Nintendo releases a Switch TV or something that ditches the display, joycons, dock, battery and sells it at a lower price.

Or takes it in the opposite direction and makes a Switch XL with a larger, higher quality display, larger capacity battery and such.

The 2 things you are asking for both eliminate the Switch's main feature and selling point:  Portability.  If a Switch TV can only hook up to the TV, it's not a "Switch" anymore.  The Switch concept is being able to seemlessly take your console gaming session on the go with you.  I don't see a version being released that can't do that.  Also, why ditch the joycons?  Playing with detached joycons is the most relaxing way to play games since the wiimote and nunchuck.  I do connect them to the joycon grip in certain situations, but the majority of the time I layback on my couch or recliner with each joycon separate in each hand.  Why eliminate the option?  As for the Switch XL, a larger capacity battery or screen would be nice, but the Switch screen is already quite large as far as handheld devices go.  Something larger would hinder it's portability, which again would counter its greatest asset.  In it's current state, I can slip it into most of my jacket pockets without even detaching the joycons.  If it can't fit in my pocket, then I can't take it with me through the park while I walk my dog.  For me, that eliminates at least an hour of time per day that I've gotten use out of the Switch, therefore reducing the device's usefullness.

I think it is important to mention that Nintendo has done console revision and accessory releases in the past that have broken away from the console's original hook. The 2DS (which greatly helped the 3DS platform reach a younger audience and remain competitive against smartphone platforms in Western countries) is a good example of this as is the GameBoy and GameBoy Advance adapter for the SNES and GC respectively. Having more hardware options around a similar platform will given people the flexibility to choose what is best for them, and if financially it makes sense for Nintendo then they will want to do it so that they can increase the hardware sales and user base for the platform. As Switch owners, this would be a boon for us, because it would mean a larger installbase and hence more support in the future.

There are currently three revisions I can envision for the Switch. Not all of them make sense right now due to cost, but they eventually may make sense and they can help Nintendo reach audiences that may not really see the value in the Switch as it is right now (such as, Pemalite, the person you responded to) 

Switch mini:

A portable system slightly larger than 3DS XL (due to the fan). It does not have detachable joy-cons and may include an HDMI output on the back instead of needing a dock. It is designed to be a less expensive alternative to the existing Switch. Aimed more towards children. I can see something like this launching at around the same time Pokemon launches (which I assume to be in 2019) in order to draw in a younger crowd or more price conscious crowd.

Switch XL:

Has more or less dimensions of the current Switch and is compatible with the existing Joy-Cons. The bezels have been reduced in order to increase the size of the screen. This would be positioned as the more premium model much like the (New) 3DS XL. It would be targeted more towards older teens and adults and perhaps those that also like more local social gaming experiences on the go (thanks to the bigger screen more people can scoot around the system).

Switch TV:

This would come out later and would be a much cheaper option for people that do not want to pay for a portable system because portability is not important to them. In addition, Nintendo could position it as a family system where member gather around to enjoy local multiplayer experiences. If Nintendo partners with video streaming services and brings such services to the Switch, it may also serve as a stationary streaming box for many people in the future.

Nintendo has said that they can see people in a single household owning multiple Switch's in the future. The product strategy I proposed would allow for that to happen. For example, imagine a family unit that consists of two children and two parents. Pokemon comes out and the two children want their own system to play those games (or take whatever other games that is out right now and the kids essentially do not want to share a single Switch). The parents will be able to purchase their two children a Switch mini each because it is less expensive than the current Switch. This family may own a Switch TV as a streaming box and perhaps also for family nights when they want to play a game like Mario Kart or Mario Party, again a TV only option would allow them to do that relatively inexpensively. Also, say in this family the dad and/or mom travel frequently and they would like a more premium Switch for themselves, a Switch XL would be an option for them, or if they are price conscious they could purchase a Switch mini. This is just one of many potential senerios that having a wide range of options around a single platform could allow. Also, one key advantage here is that all the systems would have support for the same software and if Nintendo adds cloud save support with their online service, the Switch concept of going from the TV (Switch TV) to a handheld (Switch mini or Switch XL) can still occur.

Around the Network

Eh, as a Wii U and 3DS owner, that is more than enough for me, I don't like Switch's concept and will only buy one if it manages to get enough exclusive games of my interest.

They already are migrating over and have been for a while now.

A large chunk of 3ds ambassitor owners have already bit the bullet, no doubt, as well as the large portion of home console fans that skiped wii U.
The big holdouts though, are definetly pokemon, animal crossing, a proper new 2d mario,smash, and possibly mario party.

In japan its already dping gangbusters while the 3ds is still going toe to to with the ps4 fpr second place.

Animal Crossing is your answer!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I only owned a 3DS and PS Vita last gen (never bought a Wii U or PS4) and I got a Nintendo Switch in June.

So yes, it is an ongoing 3DS/Vita/WiiU/PS4/etc. migration that will take years as the hardware price drops, and builds up a monstrous catalog of excellent games.

It is already in motion.