By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. January bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Bofferbrauer2 said:
thismeintiel said:

Out of stock? The Grey Switch is in stock. The Neon is out of stock and has dropped below the PS4. Quickrick already addressed the legs part. Though, I would like to add that the PS4 hasn't even hit $199, yet. And it will probably hit $149 around the time the PS5 hits. 

Yesterday when I posed the question both where out of stock and still in front of the PS4. And the gray one only has one unit left right now

What guarantee do you guys have that the PS4 will be that leggy? Yes, previous gens where leggy - but did you ever ask yourself why they did so?

PS1 became interesting in hotels and third world countries at the end of it's lifespan as a consumer product in the more developed countries, PS2 got boosted again after the massive failure the PS3 was at launch (sales went up over 30% yoy after the 599$ price reveal) and because of Singstar (the Just Dance of it's time), to some degree also because of it's DVD player capabilities (but barely anymore after 2006), PS3 because it was a very long gen which only really sped up when the Wii started to get weaker. 

None of all this is even remotely happening right now with the PS4. I'm not saying it can't be leggy, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have the same favorable circumstances in it's favor as it's predecessors do. And that it's doing too bad right now on Amazon Japan compared to where it should be if the momentum would still be so high, especially with 2 big game releases.

its just had its best year in sales, it's still 299$, what are you talking about?

Around the Network
quickrick said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Yesterday when I posed the question both where out of stock and still in front of the PS4. And the gray one only has one unit left right now

What guarantee do you guys have that the PS4 will be that leggy? Yes, previous gens where leggy - but did you ever ask yourself why they did so?

PS1 became interesting in hotels and third world countries at the end of it's lifespan as a consumer product in the more developed countries, PS2 got boosted again after the massive failure the PS3 was at launch (sales went up over 30% yoy after the 599$ price reveal) and because of Singstar (the Just Dance of it's time), to some degree also because of it's DVD player capabilities (but barely anymore after 2006), PS3 because it was a very long gen which only really sped up when the Wii started to get weaker. 

None of all this is even remotely happening right now with the PS4. I'm not saying it can't be leggy, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have the same favorable circumstances in it's favor as it's predecessors do. And that it's doing too bad right now on Amazon Japan compared to where it should be if the momentum would still be so high, especially with 2 big game releases.

its just had its best year in sales, it's still 299$, what are you talking about?

You mean with tons of cheap bundles, promotions and a temporary price cut to $199 with a $49 gift card included (which unsurprisingly was its best month)? Ah, ok.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
quickrick said:

You mean with tons of cheap bundles, promotions and a temporary price cut to $199 with a $49 gift card included (which unsurprisingly was its best month)? Ah, ok.

that wasn't the reason ps4 sold the best this year, in fact last year holiday ps4 sold more. ps4 none holiday months saw the biggest jump in sales this year. 199$ ps4 were super limited, sold out in 2 days. maybe gave it a 500k boost in the US this year, and in europe i'm not sure if they had the same deal.

Jaxyfoo said:
I don't get these guaranteed 90-150m for Switch comments. I love mine, but looking around I see a different picture. Maybe it will, but it's oh so early. Also next gen is likely 2 years off, which will see people buying those. Will Switch follow and give a new more powerful upgrade, or will it release a New system. So firstly I question it having the longevity to sell those numbers.

Then I look at the people in general buying Switch. Looking around the communities I belong to, a huge chunk of the core gamers and fans already have one. There might be people not on board yet, but I'm not convinced this is a huge growth area. There won't be huge growth into the fan base that mainly plays Cod, Fifa and GTA.

Lots of hipsters seem to have jumped on board too. Alongside trend following mums who owned a Wii, and see it as a safe environment. It is nice to see them come back from being lost to tablets and phone games. I think it is also this section which is distorting online versus store sales. I look at this section as the most fickle too. They could grow and explode, or move on to the next hot thing. I think I need another year to decide here.

Then onto portable gamers. This is another area that needs more watching before flippant guarantees. I didn't know many portable only people pre Switch in honesty. I'm surprised how many people only play portable and have mostly never owned mainstream consoles. To an extent I Don't feel qualified to judge it's growth.

I just don't see that level. I can see 15-20m this year and next happily. Then I can't see anything but decline. I can easily see it topping out below 80m. That's all before I See how the games shape up. If the gaming content was too front loaded into last year, I might revise that 80m estimate down too. It is just so soon to be giving a current gen gold medal to a console that has sold around 15m.

I don't see it doing under the 3DS. I has so much more hype and demand then the 3DS with an higher price tag and will have every single system seller Nintendo has. Thinking most people that wanted one got one in 10 months is crazy. It's still out of stock in Japan and is getting still out of stock on Amazon US... we haven't even seen the baseline of it's sales yet and it also needs to release in some markets like China, where they have a huge killer app.

Not saying 100 million is guaranteed, but based on what we have seen so far, doing under the 3DS's sales would be a disappointment.

quickrick said:
LipeJJ said:

that wasn't the reason ps4 sold the best this year, in fact last year holiday ps4 sold more. ps4 none holiday months saw the biggest jump in sales this year. 199$ ps4 were super limited, sold out in 2 days. maybe gave it a 500k boost in the US this year, and in europe i'm not sure if they had the same deal.

I am not going to refute the PS4's good sales this year. However, to make it out as if the $200 PS4 had a minimal impact in the US is quite disingenuous. At $200, the system managed to take November, when that deal ended it went to third-place for the subsequent month and sales dropped month-over-month. This pretty normal for systems as they go through their lifecycle; pricing and major new releases help boost them.

Around the Network
nemo37 said:
quickrick said:

I am not going to refute the PS4's good sales this year. However, to make it out as if the $200 PS4 had a minimal impact in the US is quite disingenuous. At $200, the system managed to take November, when that deal ended it went to third-place for the subsequent month and sales dropped month-over-month. This pretty normal for systems as they go through their lifecycle; pricing and major new releases help boost them.

I said it gave it a 500k boost. ps4 dropped in december big because  xbone was 189$ the whole month, while ps4 was 299$ till the 17th. in november ps4 had the price drop earlier then xbox. i'm also sure switch caused both to lose a bit of sales as well.

Last edited by quickrick - on 26 January 2018

xMetroid said:
Jaxyfoo said:
I don't get these guaranteed 90-150m for Switch comments. I love mine, but looking around I see a different picture. Maybe it will, but it's oh so early. Also next gen is likely 2 years off, which will see people buying those. Will Switch follow and give a new more powerful upgrade, or will it release a New system. So firstly I question it having the longevity to sell those numbers.

Then I look at the people in general buying Switch. Looking around the communities I belong to, a huge chunk of the core gamers and fans already have one. There might be people not on board yet, but I'm not convinced this is a huge growth area. There won't be huge growth into the fan base that mainly plays Cod, Fifa and GTA.

Lots of hipsters seem to have jumped on board too. Alongside trend following mums who owned a Wii, and see it as a safe environment. It is nice to see them come back from being lost to tablets and phone games. I think it is also this section which is distorting online versus store sales. I look at this section as the most fickle too. They could grow and explode, or move on to the next hot thing. I think I need another year to decide here.

Then onto portable gamers. This is another area that needs more watching before flippant guarantees. I didn't know many portable only people pre Switch in honesty. I'm surprised how many people only play portable and have mostly never owned mainstream consoles. To an extent I Don't feel qualified to judge it's growth.

I just don't see that level. I can see 15-20m this year and next happily. Then I can't see anything but decline. I can easily see it topping out below 80m. That's all before I See how the games shape up. If the gaming content was too front loaded into last year, I might revise that 80m estimate down too. It is just so soon to be giving a current gen gold medal to a console that has sold around 15m.

I don't see it doing under the 3DS. I has so much more hype and demand then the 3DS with an higher price tag and will have every single system seller Nintendo has. Thinking most people that wanted one got one in 10 months is crazy. It's still out of stock in Japan and is getting still out of stock on Amazon US... we haven't even seen the baseline of it's sales yet and it also needs to release in some markets like China, where they have a huge killer app.

Not saying 100 million is guaranteed, but based on what we have seen so far, doing under the 3DS's sales would be a disappointment.

Yodobashi Camera, which is one of Japan's largest electronics retailers just got Switch back in stock, I think it might be worth seeing how long it takes for them to sell through their stock, just to see how the general momentum is now in Japan after the MHW launch.

JSG87 said:
Insidb said:

What stock issue?

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

I was referring to Amazon.

It seems okay there.

quickrick said:
duduspace1 said:

If you actually looked at the link you posted, you would find out that the neon joy con standalone SKU is only in stock at one location.

neon been available at walmart, best buy, and gamestop, almost whole month. 

Well, I have no way of knowing that but I do know that it  is sold out on Amazon and that most of the links showing stock on that page were mostly grey bundles packed along with a game. That effectively makes it scarce for me if all I wanted was a neon sku with the liberty to buy my own games.

Insidb said:
JSG87 said:

I was referring to Amazon.

It seems okay there.

The Neon one has been out of stock for past week. The Grey one keeps going in and out of stock.