By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Is Jumanji becoming a silent hit?

Around the Network
Noobie said:

I wasn't expecting this success at all, it's a lot bigger than the original Jumanji it seems.

The movie releases on DVD/Digital Tuesday. It will be close whether it passes Spiderman or not. Fate of the Furious only made 35 Million in Japan, I expect this to be around 20-30 million (video games are big in Japan... It will be just shy of 1 billion unless Sony does a small re-release.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Noobie said:

Silent hit

A film that starts off slow and then gains gigantic success later is called a “sleeper” hit.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Noobie said:

Silent hit

A film that starts off slow and then gains gigantic success later is called a “sleeper” hit.

Thanks for correcting me

Around the Network

I am surprised this movie is doing so well. I thought it was ok, but I liked the original a little better. Never would have seen it coming that this is doing so well week after week.

I'd argue the biggest surprise of 2017 was Jumanji managing to go up against Star Wars and manage such success with long legs into January. Studios usually avoid the big releases, but offering an alternative that gets good word of mouth can work. Happy to see it succeed, fun movie.

John2290 said:
I don't see the surprise, it's a sequel to a beloved 90's film and it has 2 of the biggest names in films plus Jack black and the sexy doctor who chick.

Films that sell as expected do not have legs.  Star Wars: The Last Jedi did as expected.  It made a boatload of money and then fell off the charts after a few weeks.  It has already made far more money than this Jumanji movie ever will.  However this Jumanji movie has serious legs.  It is still in the top 10 box office (U.S.) and it came out a week after The Last Jedi.  This movie is doing much better than one would normally expect.

Nymeria said:
I'd argue the biggest surprise of 2017 was Jumanji managing to go up against Star Wars and manage such success with long legs into January. Studios usually avoid the big releases, but offering an alternative that gets good word of mouth can work. Happy to see it succeed, fun movie.

I would argue for Jumanji and Stephen King's IT. 

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

I bought it on Vudu (digital + BluRay) for $19.99. I thought it was ok. I kind of wish I had just rented it for the 6 or 7 bucks but I always think "well if i like it and watch it more than 3 times it's cheaper to just buy it" of course I have to also get a physical copy because I just don't trust digital services yet ... who knows if I'll have access to this media via digital in another 30 years (when I actually have time to fully enjoy it)