By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct Thread (January 11th 2018 possibly?)

OMG hype!!

Around the Network

Tokyo Mirage Sessions port here we go!

Amazon apparently had 18 placeholder pages for new Switch titles from a 'recent Switch event'. Combined with the apparent leak from EA, a Direct in January seems very likely. However, I think we can rule out getting one tomorrow - the 11th is more likely but it could easily be the 18th.

It'll be really interesting if there are 18 new retail games announced. "18 new games for 2018" (or something similar) is a good slogan to kick the year off.

Marcus Sellars the first guy to mention the Bandai Namco press event that took place last month. Is tweeting out some things about Nintendo in 2018 right now.

Dragon Quest 11 western release and Switch footage will be reveal at the direct.

Blizzard is porting Hearthstone to the Switch and might get reveal there.

GTAV for Switch is a Q3 title but not sure if its for the direct or E3.

Rockstar support might not end with GTAV as they are looking into older games.

Animal Crossing is coming out by Christmas for the Switch

Dragon Ball Fighters Z port is being outsourced and will come out late 2018

There will be 1 big 3DS game this year being a remake of Link's Awakening.

Last edited by animegaming - on 02 January 2018

animegaming said:

Marcus Sellars the first guy to mention the Bandai Namco press event that took place last month. Is tweeting out some things about Nintendo in 2018 right now.

Dragon Quest 11 western release and Switch footage will be reveal at the direct.

Blizzard is porting Hearthstone to the Switch and might get reveal there.

GTAV for Switch is a Q3 title but not sure if its for the direct or E3.

Rockstar support might not end with GTAV as they are looking into older games.

Animal Crossing is coming out by Christmas for the Switch

Dragon Ball Fighters Z port is being outsourced and will come out late 2018

There will be 1 big 3DS game this year being a remake of Link's Awakening.

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Sellars

Take this with a grain of salt since he was right about a Bandai Namco event he was wrong in some aspects about it.

I find it hard to believe that DQXI to be announced for the West for the Switch while PS4 and 3DS owners outside of Japan are still waiting for their already-released-versions to come to the West. I think it'll come eventually, but it would be very surprising, especially coming from Square Enix, to announce the Switch version coming West before announcing the 3DS and PS4 versions.

Blizzard and Rockstar supporting Switch with a couple of their most popular games (albeit older games) is pretty exciting. I heard great things about Heartstone and GTAV (even though I personally have issues with how some things are handled in the series in general) is a well-received evergreen title that continues to dominate the charts.

I wouldn't be too surprised for DBFZ since it doesn't seem technically complicated and XV2 did pretty well on the Switch for a late port.

Animal Crossing for Christmas is interesting. Not sure if it will be a system seller since it will probably not garner the big headlines, but it will potentially sell really well. I'm not sure if New Leaf was a system seller but it did extremely well, especially in Japan and among women.

I can see Link's Awakening utilizing the ALBW engine ala FE: Echoes with Awakening's engine.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:

I find it hard to believe that DQXI to be announced for the West for the Switch while PS4 and 3DS owners outside of Japan are still waiting for their already-released-versions to come to the West. I think it'll come eventually, but it would be very surprising, especially coming from Square Enix, to announce the Switch version coming West before announcing the 3DS and PS4 versions.

Blizzard and Rockstar supporting Switch with a couple of their most popular games (albeit older games) is pretty exciting. I heard great things about Heartstone and GTAV (even though I personally have issues with how some things are handled in the series in general) is a well-received evergreen title that continues to dominate the charts.

I wouldn't be too surprised for DBFZ since it doesn't seem technically complicated and XV2 did pretty well on the Switch for a late port.

Animal Crossing for Christmas is interesting. Not sure if it will be a system seller since it will probably not garner the big headlines, but it will potentially sell really well. I'm not sure if New Leaf was a system seller but it did extremely well, especially in Japan and among women.

I don't see the relevance in whether a game makes headlines or not. A game that sells 10+ million and is among the top 10 best selling games on it's system is surely a system seller. Animal Crossing is an especially key seller since it has a much different appeal compared to the other big name Nintendo games. I met a lot of people in New Leaf who hardly play any other games if any. I think it will make headlines though, as it's been 5-6 years since the last game released making it an event of sorts, and there's surely a lot of pent up demand.

Animal Crossing isn’t a killer app system seller like Breath of the Wild. But combined with software like Pokemon and others, it will do a huge amount for system sales. It’s a system seller when combined with other games. A fairly big one when you consider the brand recognition it has.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Animal Crossing isn’t a killer app system seller like Breath of the Wild. But combined with software like Pokemon and others, it will do a huge amount for system sales. It’s a system seller when combined with other games. A fairly big one when you consider the brand recognition it has.

Actually it is a killer app system seller much like Mario Kart, on both DS and 3DS it caused monstrous sales and is the one game that in japan outsells Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Pokemon something few games in history can ever do.

This thread just reminded me when animal crossing released I will need another switch. My daughter will completely take it over like she already tries with stardew valley

Jumpin said:

Animal Crossing is a much bigger seller than you think it is, much bigger than Zelda usually does.New Leaf sold more than 12 million units if Im not mistaken.Assuming Nintendo dosent drop the ball and makes sn excellent Animal Crossing, its sales potential are closer to the sales that Mario Kart usually brings.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1