By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New Game Database is LIVE!!!!

TalonMan said:
XD84 said:
Thank you!
It is interesting that it is easier to navigate on the new DB than on the main page of vgchartz using a cell phone.

Yes!! As I mentioned - that header is part of the new mobile framework that Trucks has been working on for the rest of the website. Since I wasn't about to code the new database twice, I started from the beginning, using the mobile framework...  :)

...you'll see more of this soon, as Trucks opens up forums and other areas that he's been working on.

Thats awesome! I am looking forward to navigate like that on the whole website.

Keep up the great work, I really appreciate it.

Around the Network

I know this is very early and we shouldn't be talking about the looks of it now but I feel like the icons for the buddy, share and search are a little too big, the database already has A LOT of pictures now and putting them all togheter makes the pages kinda overwhelming

On the positive side I noticed the pages and searches are loading faster than before which is great

Edit: I think there's some issues with the previous database for games owned, I had The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild among my owned games before the db update and now that game from my profile ( < or here under my nickname) it has a different link from the page on the database (link)

Last edited by Luke888 - on 31 December 2017

I've read the OP and the link in it and I didn't see what I was looking for unless that's one of the things you mean by not complete.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=141654&region=All

For a simple explanation, look at my comments in this link for Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX. In it, I made comments after looking at the total numbers it ACTUALLY had (eg: 894, 656) because VGC rounded up the total numbers and they always have the total numbers as (eg) .92m. So now I can't see the specific numbers.

Is this one of the things you plan to fix or did you get rid of it?

Rob5VGC said:
I've read the OP and the link in it and I didn't see what I was looking for unless that's one of the things you mean by not complete.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=141654®ion=All

For a simple explanation, look at my comments in this link for Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX. In it, I made comments after looking at the total numbers it ACTUALLY had (eg: 894, 656) because VGC rounded up the total numbers and they always have the total numbers as (eg) .92m. So now I can't see the specific numbers.

I also noticed you can't check out anymore about how much the games sold each year since it's release. Kinda of a minor thing,but I liked to compare the legs the games are having.

Thank you all.

Around the Network

There should be a way to know if your submission got denied and for what reason. If I wasn't in the Discord chat I wouldn't be able to know if stuff I send in got declined and the type of changes I'd need to make to send it in again.

Back in the stone age of VGC we also had the option to check "latest updates" in the db which was useful for retrieving the games we just added or updated.

Nice. Thank you for bringing this back up :D

Some things i noticed.

-Cant add any games if the publisher isnt shown
-Bandai Namce Games is a developer (no that is how it is spelled)
-CRITIC reviewer list is bare bones, doesnt include reviewers like PCGamer for an example

Basil's YouTube Channel

By the way, can I not edit games on mobile? Was trying to "Edit boxart" for example and nothing happened clicking on it.
Using Chrome here.

Luke888 said:

I know this is very early and we shouldn't be talking about the looks of it now but I feel like the icons for the buddy, share and search are a little too big, the database already has A LOT of pictures now and putting them all togheter makes the pages kinda overwhelming

On the positive side I noticed the pages and searches are loading faster than before which is great

Edit: I think there's some issues with the previous database for games owned, I had The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild among my owned games before the db update and now that game from my profile ( < or here under my nickname) it has a different link from the page on the database (link)

The "look" will definitely change and evolve over time - this was SOLELY about resurrecting the functionality and providing a means to actually update and maintain a game database. I completely rebuilt the entire database with brand new tables and recoded about 90% of the script that used to be use for generating the pages and tools. I've never been a developer who has a feel for "what looks pretty and what doesn't" - never been one of my talents and it's not something that's ever going to change with me! LOL!!!

...all that said, you can definitely expect changes to the appearance of things, as the database continues to mature.

Rob5VGC said:

Right - so you're looking for some specific sales information and that will be added in as we go along. The game pages will always show lifetime totals and the first 10 weeks (aligned) of sales data - after things settle down, I'll be adding links to more fully defined sales numbers. The reason I told you to ignore the previous page with the numbers, was specifically because (as you've noticed) those entire pages are now completely gone! More will be coming in this area, I assure you...

Stuart23 said:
Rob5VGC said:

I also noticed you can't check out anymore about how much the games sold each year since it's release. Kinda of a minor thing,but I liked to compare the legs the games are having.

See the note above this one - it applies here, as well...

jason1637 said:
There should be a way to know if your submission got denied and for what reason. If I wasn't in the Discord chat I wouldn't be able to know if stuff I send in got declined and the type of changes I'd need to make to send it in again.

There used to be (as was, there used to be one that notified you when your submissions were approved) - but I took it out temporarily because we had decided to probably make this a setting in the user profile (as to whether you wanted these notifications or not), and rather delay the entire release in order to code up this new stuff, I pushed it back to a "post live" enhancement.

okr said:
Back in the stone age of VGC we also had the option to check "latest updates" in the db which was useful for retrieving the games we just added or updated.

Not sure what you mean? Do you mean latest updates per game (as that does exist, and it shows on each game page under the Updates tab)? Or, are you talking about updates in totality (a listing of say, for example, the last 20 updates across the entire database)?

BasilZero said:

Nice. Thank you for bringing this back up :D

Some things i noticed.

-Cant add any games if the publisher isnt shown
-Bandai Namce Games is a developer (no that is how it is spelled)
-CRITIC reviewer list is bare bones, doesnt include reviewers like PCGamer for an example

- Yes - an add/edit Developer & Publisher option is one of the first things I'm going to be working on, after the holidays. We knew about this right from the start, I already have the functionality stubbed out, and it will be up and running within the next few days.

- See previous answer

- The list of "official" sites we are using for Critic Reviews was generated by Machina. If there are other ones you think we should add, I suggest sending him a PM with your recommendations and, if he feels we should add them, he'll let me know and I'll add them to the list.