By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is PS4 the first console to sell like this without a fad?

DivinePaladin said:
The whole PS2 succeeding because of the DVD boom is a bit of a history rewrite, which only really popped up after Sony itself claimed around the PS3's launch that the PS2 pioneered DVD. Cheap DVD players were already becoming popular in some households before the PS2 launch - the PS2 didn't seem to have a super tangible effect on this outside of giving gamers an excuse to buy DVDs.

Of course at this point we can't prove either side is more correct with more detailed data that we just don't have, so the PS2 succeeding because of a "fad" is a claim that can just be thrown around!

The PS4 doesn't need to be special compared to the others in the 100m club, it doesn't need an extra ego stroke or to take shots at its older brothers or the Nintendo systems to feel better. If we really want to start defining fads, I can guarantee each of the highest selling systems moved many units to those that don't usually buy systems just due to word of mouth, popularity, or because it was a status symbol. My buddy's non-gamer dad owns a Switch because it's popular, and I believe coincidentally also had a PS2 for that same reason!

I think it's pretty easy to come to the fact that PS2 helped DVD, not the other way around. In pretty much every region it launched in, we have stories of DVD sales skyrocketing, while before the sales were meh, at best. If it was DVD that helped PS2, DVD would have been becoming very popular on their own. Then people saw the PS2 could play DVDs, so they bought it.

Of course, that's not what happened. DVD players were already around half the price of the PS2. No one was picking it up that early in its life for DVDs. What happened was gamers were buying the new Playstation, and knowing it could also play DVDs, they thought "Well, might as well pick up a couple DVDs to test them out."

@ OP

I don't think people are picking up on what you did there. But, yes, PS4 is selling for the same reason PS1, PS2, and, on a slightly smaller level, the PS3. Games. 

Around the Network

By the logic of the OP PS4 only sold good because of PSVR.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Turkish said:
"We all know PS1 and PS2 only sold because they played CD/DVD's"

How to lose all credibility with one sentence.

Not just with one sentence but the very first sentence lolll xD

LethalP said:
Ganoncrotch said:

The PS4 is selling like this because of the X1 reveal. IMO.

That reveal was just an absolute disaster, they left the door wide open for Sony in all markets, even their tightly held US. So yeah... the PS4's Gimmick was Smartglass, TV integration, DDR3 memory, empty promises of cloud power (remember that?), always online, no more trading of games, Kinect always kinected (remember that?), moving all games from the console to Games for Windows Live 10, but yeah... for Sony the handy thing is, all those ideas were on the systems main rival.

I bought a PS3 after that reveal, and a PS4 soon after launch, after being a X360 fan all last gen.

The X1 reveal and policies were able to be reversed almost entirely by launch and by May 2014 a $399 Kinectless bundle was released. Yeah the mindshare damage had already been done, but the point is the PS3's launch woes couldn't be reversed that swiftly yet it held it's own all things considered.

But I do agree MS mistakes gave Sony a big upper hand, as in the PS4 may have reached 100 million where as X1 would go on to do 80 mill, as it stands the PS4 is going to blitz 120 million and X1 probably wont do half of that. They substitute eachothers sales since they target the same market. 

You only have 1 chance to make a 1st impression.  It's very difficult to reverse public perception after starting out on the wrong foot.  Microsoft may have quickly reversed its policies, but what they could not reverse was the sour taste they left in the mouths of their target consumers who flocked to Sony.  The PS3's launch woes were primarily price related.  The majority of consumers are not interested in a $600 or even $500 video game console (all the more baffling how Microsoft did not know this after watching their main competitor stumble out of the gate the previous gen).  But a price drop heals this instantly.  Having to walk back disastrously bad policies and PR is a much more difficult wound to heal with the consumer.  

PS2 sold during 12 or so years but was a fad and did sell just because of its dvd capabilities? fucking lol

Around the Network
pxrocks said:
Ps1,ps2, and ps4 did good because of good library not because of some gimmicks like motion control or dvd player.ps3 could have been the best selling console last gen but due to that unnecessary bluray player it never reached its sale potential like a PlayStation.it was a disaster.sony should have dropped that console after a year or two and moved to a new gen.Nintendo did that with wiiu and its working fine for them.but on the bright side ps4 selling good without any gimmicks and holding well against the competition.

That unabandoned failure managed to sell 90M and get some very good games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ganoncrotch said:

The PS4 is selling like this because of the X1 reveal. IMO.

That reveal was just an absolute disaster, they left the door wide open for Sony in all markets, even their tightly held US. So yeah... the PS4's Gimmick was Smartglass, TV integration, DDR3 memory, empty promises of cloud power (remember that?), always online, no more trading of games, Kinect always kinected (remember that?), moving all games from the console to Games for Windows Live 10, but yeah... for Sony the handy thing is, all those ideas were on the systems main rival.

I bought a PS3 after that reveal, and a PS4 soon after launch, after being a X360 fan all last gen.

The X1 reveal was so fever pitch you had to watch it. Although a Sony supporter I've always also had all Microsoft's offerings. Including Xbox one s 

But that reveal for the standard casual gamer rwas a disaster I've never seen anything like it. It's cost Microsoft the whole gen now Sony are getting so far ahead it's almost impossible to fail now with ps5

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Doesn't the PS4's controller have a touch pad? Do game's still make great use of that these days? I know it's not a central selling focus at least nowadays, but it's still apart of the hardware that doesn't seem to be highly praised that much.

I'm just saying even Sony like to be a little different with their hardware sometimes, sure it might not always succeed but it's good when companies at least try. As well even the PS4 is not without it's own "fad" although I don't really think that's the best term to call it.

Last edited by Green098 - on 28 December 2017

No one ever bought a PS1 because it played CD's hhaha wtf dude? How old was you in around 94,95 to think people actually played CD's on a psone? Ill give you the ps2 with a DVD player though. Ps2 was like the same price as a dvd player when it came out. Bargain.

The "PS1 and 2 only sold that well because they had DVD/CD" argument has never held up and still doesn't.