By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think the Sega Genesis HD flash back is better than SNES classic.

Snoopy said:
Pemalite said:

Value is of course subjective.
The build quality of the Genesis is severely lacking.

Not in my opinion. You said you had sound issues, but I haven't experience this issue at all being completely 100% honest. I know it isn't 100% perfect, but it does it's job well.

I disagree.

I can level the same complaints against the Atari Flashback that I got as well. The Emulation quality just isn't up to par with the NES and SNES (Which I also have) classic.
The controllers feel extremely, light, cheap and plasticy, Mortal Kombat 3 was almost unplayable.

Also, I hate the fact that both controllers aren't given equal treatment in the UI and games, you essentially have a main and secondary controller, with the main controller taking priority.

And don't get me started on the convoluted user interface when you first fire the machine up, the NES and SNES classics are easy, simple and quick to navigate.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
DivinePaladin said:
Snoopy said:

Maybe something is up with the pal regions or they have an un updated version of it. The updated version works pretty well. You can check the youtuber in the OP. He actually play some of the games and they all sound great and play great (with a few hitches here and there).

My buddy lives in an NTSC region, and also actually has a video talking about how terrible it is from the past couple months. It just seems like it's an unreliable platform, going by the slowly-growing-to-mixed opinion on it. 

Are you sure it's the same system or if it's an updated version?

There are quite a few people on youtube with the updated version having little to no problems with sound and graphics. Here are a couple youtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyoynRgcDQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcHZJwXUiE

I personally have a problem with the controller, specifically it can easily lose connection to the game if you don't point at it. Other than that, it works well.

Also, the same youtuber in the OP address the critics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT73ranzR-8. 

Last edited by Snoopy - on 29 December 2017

Pemalite said:
Snoopy said:

Not in my opinion. You said you had sound issues, but I haven't experience this issue at all being completely 100% honest. I know it isn't 100% perfect, but it does it's job well.

I disagree.

I can level the same complaints against the Atari Flashback that I got as well. The Emulation quality just isn't up to par with the NES and SNES (Which I also have) classic.
The controllers feel extremely, light, cheap and plasticy, Mortal Kombat 3 was almost unplayable.

Also, I hate the fact that both controllers aren't given equal treatment in the UI and games, you essentially have a main and secondary controller, with the main controller taking priority.

And don't get me started on the convoluted user interface when you first fire the machine up, the NES and SNES classics are easy, simple and quick to navigate.

Admit-tingly, the controllers could be better. However, the UI isn't convoluted, in fact I personally like the layout. My problem is the buttons used for navigations seems a little strange, but I got use to them so it isn't a big issue for me. The flash back console has more games and better quality of games (imo). The sega genesis has a lot of awesome features as well such as cartridges. Also, I have no problems with the games. The games work well for me and a lot of youtubers which I listed above.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Lag input prevents me from using these things. When modern tv sets can give me the 0ms lag of a CRT, I'll buy in. Until then, it's going to be the real consoles on CRT or nothing.

Actually, a 60Hz CRT has 17ms lag, and a 50Hz CRT has 20ms lag. The problems with the HDTV's ans above are due to the TV set's scaler - in most cases.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Lag input prevents me from using these things. When modern tv sets can give me the 0ms lag of a CRT, I'll buy in. Until then, it's going to be the real consoles on CRT or nothing.

Actually, a 60Hz CRT has 17ms lag, and a 50Hz CRT has 20ms lag. The problems with the HDTV's ans above are due to the TV set's scaler - in most cases.

My CRT doesn't have 17ms of lag. lol Where did you find those numbers?

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
bdbdbd said:

You don't? Then you have 50Hz refresh rate with 20ms lag. Use PAL60 mode if your TV and console supports it, though the picture quality is slightly worse, as the 480i image is scaled to a 576i screen.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

AlfredoTurkey said:
bdbdbd said:

CRT's typically push the image to be displayed almost as fast it is received due to the nature of the technology.
If you have a 60hz CRT, it takes roughly 16.6ms from when the top line starts being rendered on the display, to the bottom.

That's just displaying the image, there is more in the chain that can add a few ms more.

But that is still better than most LCD's.

Now if we start talking 240hz CRT...

The biggest problem is infrared contollers...
They suck!

Pemalite said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

CRT's typically push the image to be displayed almost as fast it is received due to the nature of the technology.
If you have a 60hz CRT, it takes roughly 16.6ms from when the top line starts being rendered on the display, to the bottom.

That's just displaying the image, there is more in the chain that can add a few ms more.

But that is still better than most LCD's.

Now if we start talking 240hz CRT...

Yeah, that's where the lag comes from, although there's a huge variation even between CRT's how much lag there is. The least lag with CRT's I've encountered, are on Daewoo, Finlux (though I think Finlux used Daewoo's CRT's) and Sony. On an LCD you add the time on top it takes to dim and lit a pixel on a screen and the time it takes to process a picture to the 17/20ms lag. Sony's LCD's seem to be pretty good in this as well.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

tripenfall said:
The biggest problem is infrared contollers...
They suck!

The newer flashback consoles aren't using infrared controllers.
The controllers are overly light, cheap and hollow, just like the base console and you need to unscrew the bottom to replace the batteries.

Snoopy said:

the UI isn't convoluted

It actually is though.
When you are the menu screen, you would think pressing up and down on the controller would be all that is needed to navigate the menu pane on the left hand side right? Nope. You have to press the B and C buttons.

Or if you have a sub menu open during a game and you press down on the D-pad, it will kick you out of the game.

The NES and SNES classic have a simple UI that just works and there ain't no garbage fooling around.

bdbdbd said:

Yeah, that's where the lag comes from, although there's a huge variation even between CRT's how much lag there is. The least lag with CRT's I've encountered, are on Daewoo, Finlux (though I think Finlux used Daewoo's CRT's) and Sony. On an LCD you add the time on top it takes to dim and lit a pixel on a screen and the time it takes to process a picture to the 17/20ms lag. Sony's LCD's seem to be pretty good in this as well.

Well a 240hz CRT would bring it down to 3ms... And because CRT's don't typically employ a ton of post-processing... Such a display would be the best for gaming.

But you are completely right on all your points.