By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Marvelous Marvel Rewatch (Now Playing: Avengers: Infinity War)

Best MCU sub-series?

Iron Man 1 3.03%

Thor 1 3.03%

Captain America 12 36.36%

The Avengers 9 27.27%

Guardians of the Galaxy 10 30.30%

Total:33

Its late right now so I'll post my favorite moment from Iron Man for now.

The scene at the end where Tony and Pepper are about to have a romantic scene but Pepper calls Tony out for leaving her alone one night and the romantic scene just ends. Great comedy.

Around the Network

Amazing idea zuzek ,Ill try to get as many as I can remember

Iron Man

1.Yensens final moment with Tony: This is what I feel what made Tony who he is today, this final "Dont waste it" quote really changes Tonys perspective and the scene itself is very well acted.

2."I am Iron Man": No words ,just badass

Captain America

1."I don't like Bullies": Another touching scene , this is just describing Caps whole character in 1 line, amazing!

Thor

1.Thor fails to lift the hammer: This is a very well donr scene, and one of the few scenes I like in this movie.

The Avengers

1."we have a Hulk": Best.Threat.Ever

Iron Man 3

1.Tonys ending speech for the movie

2,All the suits arriving for the final battle

3.Tonys interactions with the kid.

Cap 2

same as Zuzek ,"Youre my mission" is a very powerful moment

Guardians

1."We're the Guardians of the Galaxy bitch" : Amazing line in a very powerful moment , just shows how far Quill and the others have come.

2."We  are Groot"

Thor 2

1.Lokis anguish over his mothers death: For the first time we see Loki care for someone other than himself and its just a heartbreaking moment.

Avengers;AoU

1. Vision lifts the Hammer
2.Tonys Nightmare
3.Hawkeyes "I have a bow and arrow" speech

Cap :CW

1.Tony sees the accident footage
2.Buckys "I remeber all of them " and " But I did it" lines

Doctor strange

1.The first astral projection scene
2.The ancient ones final moments
3."Ive come to bargain"

Guardians 2

1.groots dance
2."welcome to the frikin guardians of the galaxy"
3."He may have been your father boy, but he wasnt your daddy"
4.The Ravager funeral

Spiderman Homecoming

1.Peter and Tonys talk after the ferry accident
2.Peter lifts the pillars
3. that vulture twist

Thor Ragnarok

1.Thor gets complete control of his powers
2.the intro

Black Panther

1.Killmongers vision where he meets his father during the ritual
2.The sunset scene

Avengers:IW

1.Thor holds the iris open and Groot cuts his hand
2.Thors entrance to wakanda
3."Time to be the Captain"
4."Get lost squidward"
5."I dont feel so good"

6."I Hope they remember you"

7.Thanos kills Gamora

Thats not all of 'em but this is good enough I guess.

Last edited by AnmolRed - on 14 May 2018

It's not time to make a change,

Just relax, take it easy

You're still young, that's your fault,

There's so much you have to know

Find a girl, settle down,

If you want you can marry

Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy,

To be calm when you've found something going on

But take your time, think a lot,

Why, think of everything you've got

For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not

How can I try to explain, when I do he turns away again

It's always been the same, same old story

From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen

Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away

I know I have to go

It's not time to make a change,

Just sit down, take it slowly

You're still young, that's your fault,

There's so much you have to go through

Find a girl, settle down,

If you want you can marry

Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside,

It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it

If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them you know not me

Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away

I know I have to go

-------------------------

The culmination of emotions and then this song. They weren't sexy tears, it was ugly crying getting tissues from my purse.

mZuzek said:
It's not often that I see some proper love for GotG Vol. 2 coming from, well, other people.

You guys made my day happier.

I love Rocket, his conversation with Thor was the highlight of Infinity War to me.  All the effects and explosions and spectacle were great, but that quiet character moment with genuine humanity and light humor really touched me.  "What else can I lose?" was Hemsworth at his best and Rocket was a great foil for that moment "I could still lose a lot...".

Okay, I finally was able to post the list below. The mobile site would not let me redact the spoilers and then when I copied and pasted it at first, it was a mess. It should be fine now. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by Doc755 - on 14 May 2018

Around the Network

Iron Man
One of my two picks for best line in the MCU - I am Iron Man. This was such a high note to end the film on and showed us that the MCU was not going to go the standard route regarding secret identities for its superheroes.

The Incredible Hulk
Betty pleading in front of the tank for her father to stop the attack on Bruce. The desperation in Liv Tyler’s voice and the pained expression on William Hurt’s face sell the emotional impact of this scene. It’s why I wish they would bring Betty back. I loved this relationship and it was kicked to the curb for one that makes little sense.

Iron Man 2
The suit up on the racetrack. The comic fumbling to deliver the package and the “hell, yeah!” moment when Tony becomes Iron Man.

Thor
I could not think of what I wanted to choose at first and skipped past this one. I then remembered the painful request Thor made to come home after finding out his father was dead. Thor is arguably the most powerful hero in the MCU (or will be) and to see this vulnerable moment of desperation gives us a glimpse into his heart. It also shows us that Hemsworth can do more than look ripped.

Captain America: The First Avenger
My other pick for best final line of the MCU. “Yeah, it’s just . . . I had a date”. Evans sells it. The music is pure melancholy at the sad realization he lost the love of his life. It’s such a gut punch and one that stays with you. Evans became my favorite over RDJ right here.

The Avengers
Pure fanboy - The tracking shot in the final battle. I had such a huge smile on my face in the theatre and I felt like a kid again. Plus, in retrospect, the juxtaposition of the shot where Tony and Cap pull off a combination move to the moment in Captain America: Civil War where they’re fighting one another. Both involve blasts to the shield and it’s a nice symmetry to their relationship.

Iron Man 3
There’s actually two action scenes I really like - the attack on Stark Manor and the Air Force One air rescue. I’m going to go with the latter. Tony’s ingenuity when told he cannot save everyone mixed with a different type of superhero action scene make for a memorable sequence. Then, of course, sadly, it’s capped with the running gag of the suit falling apart.

Thor: The Dark World
Captain America’s cameo as Thor and Loki escape the palace. Apparently Hiddleston performed the scene and then Evans did his take on that performance. It’s a nice little moment in an otherwise drab film and it’s great to see Evans having some fun.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
I clearly love this film and one of my favorite moments is Cap dropping the shield through the hole in the helicarrier as he tells Bucky he won’t fight him anymore. But that’s been discussed so I’ll go with the HYDRA reveal. While it’s not a particularly great scene, I remember sitting up and taking notice in the theatre because it was such a huge twist for that point in the MCU. The dawning realization that Cap has been working for the people he “died” to stop in World War II is a powerful one and informs his arc for the entirety of the series.

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Guardians joining hands to contain the power of the Infinity Stone. This was a culmination of their bond as a unit and their willingness to potentially sacrifice their lives to save one of their own. “We are Groot” is a close second.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
The party scene but specifically the different attempts to lift Mjolnir to prove they are worthy to rule Asgard. This film needed more scenes like this and less jerking from action set-piece to action set-piece. Thor’s look of worry when Mjolnir makes the slightest nudge from Cap is hilarious.

Ant-Man
The prologue. I want to see this film: the early days of SHIELD with Howard Stark, Peggy Carter and Hank Pym. Although the de-aging on Douglas is distracting, this opening scene felt more relevant and interesting than all that came after.

Captain America: Civil War
The airport battle is definitely worth the price of admission but I’m going to go with the group discussion regarding the Accords. This is what I needed more of in Civil War. Weighing the pros and cons of submitting to UN oversight was both intellectually interesting and gave the actors something to do of import rather than running and punching.

Doctor Strange
Another one I skipped past the first time around. I think I’ll go with the final moments of the Ancient One. It’s a quieter part of the film and one filled with emotional impact rather than visually inventive fight scenes. Strange gets the most development here from watching someone else. Swinton was an excellent casting choice and she proves it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
The Ravager funeral is a great final sequence filled with both visual splendor and emotional poignancy. But I’m going to go with a quieter character moment and that’s Mantis reading Drax’s emotions as he remembers his family. The film slows down to remind of us of the tragic backstory to this fun group of a-holes and what brought them altogether. Another director may have filled this scene with a long monologue, but having faith the actors will sell it makes it a truly memorable moment.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
The car ride to the prom. Holland and Keaton are top notch in a scene dripping with tension. How Keaton pieces it together with a few details and Holland’s realization of what is happening is played out entirely by the actors’ faces. I may have issues with how Vulture was written but the scene alone cements Keaton’s place in the top section of MCU villains.

Thor: Ragnarok
Anything with Goldblum is a true gem. Did I mention how he steals the whole film? But if I had to pick one scene I actually would go with Odin’s farewell to his two sons. What comes after is a rapid fire mess of plot, but that brief moment when two brothers, who both had complicated relationships with their father and even each other, take a moment to share their grief is both understated and moving.

Black Panther
This is another I’m not sure about. I need to see the film a second time. I actually forgot this film and went straight into Infinity War making this list. I’ll go with the first waterfall battle. I was a little worried about the action in that first sequence as it was at night with a lot of quick cuts and it was hard to track what was happening. The waterfall fight was the exact opposite. A well choreographed fight in a visually interesting location that looks stunning.

Avengers: Infinity War
Hard to pick one. Do I go fanboy with Cap’s arrival in the train station or something deeper like the fall of Spider-Man? I’m actually to pick Thanos’ sacrifice of Gamora to obtain the soul stone. Thanos and Gamora were the true MVPs of this film and their relationship is the bedrock of what makes Thanos the best villain of the MCU (at least the films). The dawning realization Gamora has that she is to be the sacrifice and the pain of Thanos’ own admission is a dramatic gem in a film mostly filled with superhero antics.

Last edited by Doc755 - on 14 May 2018

Doc755 said:

Thor: Ragnarok

Anything with Goldblum is a true gem. Did I mention how he steals the whole film? But if I had to pick one scene I actually would go with Odin’s farewell to his two sons. What comes after is a rapid fire mess of plot, but that brief moment when two brothers, who both had complicated relationships with their father and even each other, take a moment to share their grief is both understated and moving.

There is so much I love about Thor: Ragnarok, but I think Goldblum is my favorite part.  It was hard for me to pick one moment though (other than maybe "it was a tie").  Really I just loved every moment with Goldblum.  I also thought Sakaar in general was a really cool place, and while the weirdness of the aesthetics were probably inspired by Jack Kirby, I liked the idea that the whole world was kind of a reflection of the Grand Master's far out personality.

And speaking of Ragnarok, one thing I really liked about it was the feeling that Thor was on this world hopping adventure.  I liked that he went from Surtur's Realm to Asgard to Earth to Sakaar and so on.  While I am ok with them stopping Iron Man and Cap at 3 films, I'd really like to see them continue Thor at this point.  I kind of feel Ragnarok should be counted as the first one with two more directed by Taika Waititi in the same kind of world hopping, comedic vein.  After seeing Thor in both Ragnarok and Infinity War, this is the Thor that I want to see more of.

mZuzek said:

I certainly don't want more Thor films, especially if they were like Ragnarok. Ragnarok was a fun one-time ride, I don't want more of it. But, that's just me.

On a more unrelated note, and I'm sure this has been pointed out earlier in the thread already, but isn't it weird how low our hosts Vek and Doc have rated the movies? There's only one 9 and four 8's after 38 ratings! You'd guess whoever started something like this surely had to love the MCU a lot, so this is really weird. I didn't give it much thought while it was going on because I figured one of them would eventually drop a 10 somewhere (or at least a few 9's), like in a critically acclaimed movie such as Black Panther, or in a movie beloved by the fans such as Winter Soldier, or in a movie with loads of hype around it such as Infinity War, but, nope, mostly just 7's all round (and of course, the outliar score had to go to overrated Civil War, bleh).

It's just weird, I think you guys have some explaining to do. I mean, I'd never do a rewatching marathon for a series of 19 movies if I only really like 2 or 3 of them... surely, no one would?

Nothing to explain. You can like a film but still objectively rate it. We did the rewatch because we thought it would be fun (and we’re a tad OCD). And it was fun so thanks everyone!

mZuzek said:
Doc755 said:

Nothing to explain. You can like a film but still objectively rate it. We did the rewatch because we thought it would be fun (and we’re a tad OCD). And it was fun so thanks everyone!

Yes, but objectivity is subjective as well. Of course, I'm much more of a subjective person than objective, but I could make a lot of arguments for all the things The Last Jedi gets "objectively" wrong, despite its ridiculously high critical reception - and if you wanna say the critics are objective and I'm not, well, we could flip the coin around and get Black Panther instead.

I guess I just won't understand, though. As I said I'm usually subjective, and I stand for it. If I play a game or watch a movie I love, I will give it a high rating because it's a reflexion of my own enjoyment of it, rather than some pre-conceived notion of what is 'objectively' good or not.

Art is inherently subjective and everyone has different criteria for what a “quality” film is. When it comes to the MCU, I generally enjoy them but don’t think of any of them as great films, the closest for me being Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which I gave an 8, but if I was making a ranking of the top films of all time, it wouldn’t come close to being on the list. But you can love a film and admit it has problems, just like you can say something is a great film but it wouldn’t be your pick to watch it over and over again. Case in point: I recognize Citizen Kane as a great film, but I personally do not care for it. On the other hand, I love a film like Clue, but it’s nowhere near great. Some people can separate what they like and what they can appreciate and some can’t and some don’t purposefully. It all depends on what criteria you are using to rate a film. For your examples, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Black Panther, I don’t think either is great, but they’re good, but I also need to see both again. For me personally, I take two viewings to have a solid ground to make my rating, unless it either blew me away or was atrocious.

I didn’t post reviews because I’m not a good critic. I did rewatch 90% with you all and it’s been great fun. Glad for the encouragement to enjoy one of my favorite universes all over again, but more cohesively. I still need to see black panther and infinity war. Looking forward to it!