By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Marvelous Marvel Rewatch (Now Playing: Avengers: Infinity War)

Best MCU sub-series?

Iron Man 1 3.03%

Thor 1 3.03%

Captain America 12 36.36%

The Avengers 9 27.27%

Guardians of the Galaxy 10 30.30%

Total:33
mZuzek said: 

Edit²: also it'd be cool to have people to talk to. Ah well, I guess Rocket feels the same at the moment. Unfortunate.

Hey buddy!

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Hello

Sadly it looks like most people may have peaced out following Infinity War. I also liked Black Panther but I found the world and the story possibilities to be better than the film’s story. The cast is excellent with really only the best friend as a character I felt didn’t work but I blame that more on the script than the actor. Even more impressive is its staying power. My local theatre usually does not keep anything for more than 2-3 weeks. It only has 8 screens and 2 are always devoted to the new big release for that week. 12 weeks in and it’s still showing there. Black Panther has also become the 9th highest grossing film of all time (not adjusted for inflation) and only follows The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron for the MCU in terms of box office receipts.

mZuzek said:
Doc755 said:

Sadly it looks like most people may have peaced out following Infinity War. I also liked Black Panther but I found the world and the story possibilities to be better than the film’s story. The cast is excellent with really only the best friend as a character I felt didn’t work but I blame that more on the script than the actor. Even more impressive is its staying power. My local theatre usually does not keep anything for more than 2-3 weeks. It only has 8 screens and 2 are always devoted to the new big release for that week. 12 weeks in and it’s still showing there. Black Panther has also become the 9th highest grossing film of all time (not adjusted for inflation) and only follows The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron for the MCU in terms of box office receipts.

It's a shame people are peacing out, though. You'd have thought the most exciting time in this thread would be exactly after Infinity War, when everyone could finally come together and discuss the movie this was all leading up to (and boy there is a lot to discuss!). Oh well.

I had made a similar observation earlier this week elsewhere but I guess it’s a combination of people who haven’t seen it staying away for fear of spoilers and people who have seen it discussing it in threads devoted to the film itself so they don’t have to be careful about spoilers. I’ve been debating going to see it for a second time (and I’ve never done that except for Ultron which was out of necessity and not desire). My wanting to see it again stems more from wanting to enjoy this batch of characters as much as possible because I feel after Avengers 4, we’ll never have this big a group again as actors move onto other things.

mZuzek said: 

Basically, HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME HOW THE FUCK DID YOU GUYS NOT LIKE IT?!

Just want to say this sentence made me LMAO!  I really enjoyed the hell out of Black Panther too.  I really don't understand where the haters or even the "meh" people are coming from on this.  Black Panther was not just good as an MCU movie, it was a breath of fresh air that the entire movie industry needs right now.

mZuzek said:
Doc755 said:

I had made a similar observation earlier this week elsewhere but I guess it’s a combination of people who haven’t seen it staying away for fear of spoilers and people who have seen it discussing it in threads devoted to the film itself so they don’t have to be careful about spoilers. I’ve been debating going to see it for a second time (and I’ve never done that except for Ultron which was out of necessity and not desire). My wanting to see it again stems more from wanting to enjoy this batch of characters as much as possible because I feel after Avengers 4, we’ll never have this big a group again as actors move onto other things.

We probably won't have this group again ever, even in Avengers 4 I think. So yeah, let's just enjoy it while it lasts.

Edit: also I don't see much IW discussion going on anywhere here in VGC.

I doubt I have another MCU rewatch in me in less than a year. I had previously done them for Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron but 4 is so close to 3. Plus it is a marathon and I honestly was bucking a little towards the end which is why I fell behind. I finished my rewatch of Thor: Ragnarok the night before I saw Infinity War. But that should not stop anyone who wants to do one. I know my sister (who had intended on doing the rewatch this year) is planning one for 4 and there were other people who may have been waiting. If you want to host one next year, you should. There will always be people who want to watch the MCU films.

Around the Network

Hi everyone!

First of all, thank you all for joining us on this rewatch. It's been so entertaining and meaningful to share this experiment with all of you. I hope you enjoyed yourselves and maybe met some new friends. Special thanks goes to Doc755 for dreaming up the rewatch in the first place.

Second of all, as things are winding down (everyone's had a week plus to see Infinity War) I wanted to share the final rankings.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America: Civil War

Avengers: Infinity War

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2

Iron Man

The Avengers

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok

Black Panther

Doctor Strange

Captain America: The First Avenger

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

Iron Man 3

Thor

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor: The Dark World

I'll continue to add scores as they come in, but I don't imagine they will change the rankings at this point.

Thanks again everyone for your time, your energy, and your thoughtful analyses.

See you next time!

I also want to thank everyone who participated and enhanced the experience of a group rewatch. Taking the time to both watch the films and jot down thoughts is not easy with everything else going on in real life, so every post was greatly appreciated. I actually joined VGChartz specifically for this rewatch so hopefully I will hang around and see some of you out there. And who knows? Maybe a different type of rewatch will be proposed down the line. Right now I’m taking a deserved rest and catching up on my backlog on the DVR. I also want to give a special thanks to Veknoid_Outcast who hosted the thread, kept all the scores tabulated and for just being the best best friend ever. Thanks again everyone! Until the next call to “assemble”!

I still haven't seen it a second time, will do this week me thinks.

I'll give my score now anyway from what I remember, I'd happily give it a 9/10.

There is one snag to the entire thing though, you can't watch it without seeing all some of the films before it. so a new goer who isn't that into the series will not understand a lot. Me and my friends came up with the 7 films you need to see to see this.

Iron Man, Avengers 1 and 2, Civil War, Dr Strange and Gaurdians 1 and maybe Thor 3. That's it really.

Hmm, pie.

mZuzek said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

See you next time!

Why does this sound like farewell?

Edit: (...) ...yeah.

I'm still around! Happy to chat about the finer points of these movies.

mZuzek said: 

OOF. I just wrote that. Will anyone read it? Probably not, and I don't really mind. I just had to write this stuff down myself, and I feel better now. So, final thoughts on the movie? I have none, but I definitely liked it a lot. The humor was amazing most of the time, helping the movie greatly through its somber mood. The characters, except for Drax, were all spot-on. And the ending left me really desperate for the sequel asap. This isn't a perfect movie, and it's definitely not so much an enjoyable one (because it's not meant to be), but it is remarkable in what it did and is easily one of Marvel's finest works. They'll have a big act to follow, and conclude, next year.

9/10.

I did.

I think in grading movies it is often looking at the confines they had to operate within. The Russos managed to keep all these threads while having amazing character moments.  I'd watch an entire movie of Thor and the Guardians, it was that entertaining keeping the humor true to the characters.  I'm really impressed how they managed to make this grand epic feel dark and yet also made me laugh a lot.

I've never been more excited about the MCU, and for me that speaks volumes as to what they achieved.