By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR - Pokémon Switch Details Possibly Emerge

I like the idea of a game pokémon with a gameplay similar to ni in kuni, digimon World (a spin-off not a main series game), but that would take the essence of the franchise and I REALLY prefer the classic turn-based gameplay..  

Article:

The next main Pokémon title has already been confirmed to be a Nintendo Switch game, but not much else is officially known at this point. This hasn’t stopped some Chinese sources from sharing potential information about the game though. Our intrepid rumor reporter PokéSirena has helped us track down and translate the latest online gossip. These are from some of the same people who knew about Rainbow Rocket before it was revealed which is why we’ve taken particular note.

The Chinese localization team has already finished translating the games’ script

There will be no new Mega Evolutions introduced in the new games

Z-Moves return and now use motion control to activate using the Joy-Cons

Central plot revolves around the conflict between tradition and innovation

Region inspiration has been rumored to be Spain or Italy

Release to come late 2018 (~December) or early 2019

These details pale in comparison to what has also been said though, and that is the games feature a new, simplified battle system which has been compared to that of the Digimon World games. For those not familiar with them they use a real-time battle style in which moves are still selected via menu and include the option to attack or block moves from your opponent. It has also been compared to the battle system of Pokkén Tournament in which moves are either attacks, blocks or grabs and work in a rock-scissors-paper fashion.

If the above were to be true it would certainly be a change for longtime Trainers and could have the potential to disrupt the deep strategy game competitive players love.

Source

Last edited by Shikamo - on 27 December 2017

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

Ah.

I don't see the point of using the motion controls if the console is suppose to be also used as a portable device. And hopefully they don't casualize the franchise even more after the 7th gen. *facepalm*

xMetroid said:
I don't see the point of using the motion controls if the console is suppose to be also used as a portable device. And hopefully they don't casualize the franchise even more after the 7th gen. *facepalm*

Motion will be optional. Splatoon 2. ARMS, Mario Odyssey, Zelda all have optional motion controls. But the system is supposed to also be a handheld so why would they add motion to those games?

lol bad argument dude 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:
xMetroid said:

Motion will be optional. Splatoon 2. ARMS, Mario Odyssey, Zelda all have optional motion controls. But the system is supposed to also be a handheld so why would they add motion to those games?

lol bad argument dude 

I just don't see the point of adding motion controls with the joycons to Pokémon, a game that has always been played on a handheld and will probably be played mostly like so on the Switch. Mario Odyssey brings something to the table so does the puzzles and aiming in Zelda/Splatoon and the whole concept of ARMS. But like a little gimmick everytime you activate a Z-move playing as a home console is putting out efforts for something that no one will use.

Around the Network
Paatar said:
xMetroid said:

lol bad argument dude 

ARMS, BotW and Odyssey are not the best examples to use.

Arms, was designed around being able to curve both fists at the same time.
BotW's ball puzzles...
Odyssey has a few minor movements that are impossible to replicate without motion.

Hopefully Pokemon Switch will have button equivalents for the motion controls.

I would love to see either Spain or Italy being represented in Pokémon. As for the lack of new Megas, it would be unfortunate as I think there are more Pokémon out there that deserve a Mega with new designs and all. The innovation vs. tradition conflict sounds interesting and it works in these two particular countries. The motion controls sounds interesting, though maybe bit of a throwaway concept unfortunately.

As for the new battle system, I'm not sure how that will be received, especially among the hardcore fans who are used to competing with the system that seems to have worked for years. It would be weird seeing the Pokémon Championships implement an entirely new system that includes concepts from Digimon World and Pokken. Grant I've not played any of the Digimon World games so I cannot verify if that would be cool to utilize in actual competition. I personally am open to it, but I also wouldn't mind sticking to what has worked for so long while implementing some new elements to the old battle system.

Of course these are all rumors at this time.

I much rather have new mega evolutions than having z-moves return...
Tradition vs innovation could make for an interesting plot, maybe it's about the new battle system
Having the new region based in Spain or Italy would be great, only because it greatly increases the chances of Kalos being an adjacent region and Kalos deserves to be in more games.
I have mixed feelings about the rumored battle system, it could allow for more dynamic battles, but I think I saw a better concept on Reddit before. The system would be the same as before with four moves, but after choosing the moves the camera would change kind of like in Fire Emblem Fates showing the actual battle interaction in real time, with certain move interactions having more impact, like a hydro pump would overpower a fire blast. After the turn ends the camera switches back and you choose moves again. Perhaps a feature can even be implemented to record the battle and afterwards watch it without any pauses.
If they want to change the battle system, I would rather see them go for broke and implement actual improvements, not just simplify the system.

Living in Italy a Pokémon region based off my country would be amazing, yet it has been rumored for AGES, even before X and Y were announced there were rumors about an Italy inspired region. The only proof backing this rumor is that the developers, as for all the previous regions, visited Italy multiple times and when they did they had interviews with local gaming/pokémon websites, still it's too little to claim wether the region will be inspired or not by Italy. As of now I still think the country most likely to inspire Gen 8 is China due to the dragon trainer in S/M and USUM...

Meh.
-Mega evolutions > Z-moves
-It would be nice if they did a colder region for once.
-Pleeeaaase keep the turn-based strategy.