By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - They are Billions - The Dark Souls of RTS

Kaneman! said:
As a big RTS fan, I don't like this a bit. Why zombies, they're freaking everywhere and in every genre. How are people not fed up with it yet?

I like the old school building interface though. Plus points for that.

When have we had an RTS game that's dealt with surviving against zombies, while expanding and building your own city?. We've got Starcraft with the Zerg, but that game is all about building military bases and units, while also containing another faction, the Protoss. 

I get that some people out there hate zombies, but that doesn't mean they should have to go away entirely, in order to please the other side. I like playing games that feature the undead. I dislike a lot of turn based games, but I'd never ever wish for them to go fall off a cliff. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
It looks great but my pc cant play this xD , only at minimum...

Surely it can't be that demanding on your system  

I mean, it has up to 3 main graphical options to choose from with a drop down list for each. Would be nice if the game releases out of ea with a benchmarking tool though. I'd love to see how many undead hordes I could handle on screen at once. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Game looks very cool. I'll probably get it when it officially releases. Thanks!

Chazore said:
Yerm said:

thank you for explaining the incredibly simple concept that I am already well aware of. Dark Souls came out in 2011 and while people could take interest in the game's story or world, they only ever think of Dark Souls as "that really hard game". but at this point it just sounds annoying and stupid to call games that. just because a game is hard doesnt mean its comparable to dark souls

You know you're taking this just a tad far, for a thread title, rather than talking about the topic subject itself right?.

I could have called it "they are BIllions - A really hard fucking game innit", but that didn't roll off the tongue and I'm not here to appeal to those who get easily wound by using a different set of words to describe a game's difficulty.

There really isn't anything more to add to the deal with the ending title, so let's keep this topic back on track. 

my only issue is how saturated the phrase has become. only a few months ago we had people calling Cuphead the "dark souls" of action platformers. then earlier in the year we had the noobs who couldnt figure out how to play BotW call it the "dark souls" of zelda. by all means talk about how you love the game. if its really that good then it for sure deserves the attention, but its just diminishing at this point to say its like dark souls

They are Billions - The Cuphead of RTS

Around the Network
Chazore said:

When have we had an RTS game that's dealt with surviving against zombies, while expanding and building your own city?. We've got Starcraft with the Zerg, but that game is all about building military bases and units, while also containing another faction, the Protoss. 

I get that some people out there hate zombies, but that doesn't mean they should have to go away entirely, in order to please the other side. I like playing games that feature the undead. I dislike a lot of turn based games, but I'd never ever wish for them to go fall off a cliff. 

Fair enough, I was just pointing out why I'm going to stay away from it, although I gotta admit that it sounded a bit annoyed, because zombies are literally everywhere. I love a decent base-builder as much as the next guy, but don't see much improvement from playing against zombie AI, compared to a base-building AI. Spawning waves of enemies is what most AI in RTS do, anyway. If you take Cossacks or American Conquest for example, there it can build up to a massive number of enemies as well.

Kinda going off on a tangent there...

Anyway, it's good if people enjoy it. In any case it's nothing for me. The game design itself is great though, so I'll be looking for further releases by the dev, that doesn't feature zombies.

Also, turn based games are great. Up there with RTS

Starcraft is the Dark Souls of RTS.

No wait, scratch that.

Dark Souls is the Starcraft of third person beat em ups.

I LOVE ICELAND!

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

My pc is a laptop and not a good one , i only play League of legends and indie stuff in it. If it plays league of legends at 60 fps then to me its enough.

I'm sure you can handle it on the medium/low settings. The game isn't really going for realism, so their visual style doesn't really degrade when you turn down the settings. 

At the moment, the game is around 1gb in fie size, so it won't take anywhere as long to download as other games like DOOM, Ark, or GTA V.

Kaneman! said:

Fair enough, I was just pointing out why I'm going to stay away from it, although I gotta admit that it sounded a bit annoyed, because zombies are literally everywhere. I love a decent base-builder as much as the next guy, but don't see much improvement from playing against zombie AI, compared to a base-building AI. Spawning waves of enemies is what most AI in RTS do, anyway. If you take Cossacks or American Conquest for example, there it can build up to a massive number of enemies as well.

Anyway, it's good if people enjoy it. In any case it's nothing for me. The game design itself is great though, so I'll be looking for further releases by the dev, that doesn't feature zombies.

Fair doos. I know zombies aren't for everyone, just like turn based isn't largely for me, which is why I only play a few of them.

It's kind of hard to come up with another foe to fight for a game like this. I mean you could go with giants as your overwhelming foe, but then people would call it an Attack on Titan rip off. We could have random human mobs try to come in and raid your base, but that wouldn't pose much of a scare, since they are a common foe. Zombies seem to fit that factor they were going for, simply because they are mindless and in very large numbers. They don't have any love, compassion or fear, let alone any cause to fight for. They just want to kill and eat anything and everything within their sights.

In all my years of playing against multiple types of AI, I find base building AI to be rather mediocre, in that they always know exactly where you are, they are able to control each and every unit independently compared to a human, and in most cases they can also abuse common strategies that we humans love to use on others. After a while that eventually becomes tedious and boring to play with.

I still like playing against AI in RTS, but I find this type to be interesting, in that noise and lurking play important factors into how you approach your enemy.

Kaneman! said:
Chazore said:

Zombie hate is pretty interesting.

Zombies are everywhere, it is true.
So are humans.
How do you feel about games featuring humans?
Are games any less great if they rely on humans to tell a story, or to convey game mechanics.

Would you like the game more if instead of zombies, they used: insects, or slimes, or bears?