By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

Rogerioandrade said:
Peh said:

Sorry, I can't ignore that, arf. You still failed to provide a source and quotation which supports your arguments and statements, arf.

Just" blah blah blah" won't cut it, arf.

LOL I see you can´t ignore to accuse me of doing what you actually do.

Take my cup of care, honey. 

How many edits do you wanna go through, arf? 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
Rogerioandrade said: 

Don´t worry. That was the definitive one.

P.S.: It´s empty

Nem said:
JWeinCom said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjY619aJ82Y

This is a pretty good representation, of the atheist view in general.  But I'll sum it up...

Basically, you are insisting on holding an inflexible definition of atheism and agnosticism, which happens to be one that many (most from my experience) atheists do not hold.

By doing this, you are preventing any real discussion from happening.  Instead of an actual conversation of what someone believes you wind up, as you and others have in this topic, having conversations about the semantics of the word atheist.

Really, what is the point of this?  Why not just ask the person what they mean when they say they are an atheist, and go from there discussing the actual beliefs?  Doesn't that seem more productive? As long as people in the conversation both understand what the other means when they say they are an atheist or agnostic, then that's all that really matters.  

The definition of Atheism has always been the same. There can be no debate if you want to make one up for your your convenience.

Agnosticism is simply not a thing. Agnosticism and atheism are the same position.

And no, i didn't contradict myself. You can not believe on the absense of something. The absense is the default state. Ergh... this is why it's vexing to debate with Religious people. You don't know concepts and you don't understand logic. 

Here, go read something: https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/

Sounds like you have no idea what agnosticism or atheism really is, so lemme lay it out for you:

Atheism is the complete lack of spiritual faith. They don't believe there is anything behind the curtain. They don't worship science, like many theists believe- simply simply don't worship. They believe what science has proven, and they change their belief based on what new science discovers. They're evidence-based, and that's all there is to it. The day science manages to prove there is a God(s) is the day they will believe it.

Agnosticism is undirected spiritual faith. They believe there is something behind the curtain, but aren't placing their bets like standard theists do. Agnostics do lean back on science a lot, but have a more open mind to the possibility that there is something more spiritual at hand as well. Agnosticis can one day find a religion, but they can also just as easily spend their lives looking for a sign.

In other words: Atheists don't have faith in anything but evidence, whereas agnosticis have faith but are skeptical of where to place it.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Rogerioandrade said:
Peh said:

Don´t worry. That was the definitive one.

P.S.: It´s empty

Got some hot dog-on-dog action here. Someone needs to move this thread to NSFW.

o_O.Q said:
Nem said:

The definition of Atheism has always been the same. There can be no debate if you want to make one up for your your convenience.

Agnosticism is simply not a thing. Agnosticism and atheism are the same position.

And no, i didn't contradict myself. You can not believe on the absense of something. The absense is the default state. Ergh... this is why it's vexing to debate with Religious people. You don't know concepts and you don't understand logic. 

Here, go read something: https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/

"Agnosticism is simply not a thing." 

this is the funniest thing i've read all week, thank you

No... no, that is not the funniest thing. sadly.

Read the link i gave you and educate yourself.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Nem said:

Sounds like you have no idea what agnosticism or atheism really is, so lemme lay it out for you:

Atheism is the complete lack of spiritual faith. They don't believe there is anything behind the curtain. They don't worship science, like many theists believe- simply simply don't worship. They believe what science has proven, and they change their belief based on what new science discovers. They're evidence-based, and that's all there is to it. The day science manages to prove there is a God(s) is the day they will believe it.

Agnosticism is undirected spiritual faith. They believe there is something behind the curtain, but aren't placing their bets like standard theists do. Agnostics do lean back on science a lot, but have a more open mind to the possibility that there is something more spiritual at hand as well. Agnosticis can one day find a religion, but they can also just as easily spend their lives looking for a sign.

In other words: Atheists don't have faith in anything but evidence, whereas agnosticis have faith but are skeptical of where to place it.

Source, arf? 

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/atheism

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/agnostic

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

SpokenTruth said:
Atheism - The complete lack of faith in the existence of a deity.

Agnosticism - Accepting a deity could exist but simply isn't proven.

seems like you're pretty much stating here that atheist do not believe a deity can exist since you used that to differentiate it from agnosticism... the other atheists that have been arguing with me disagree with you

in summary all 3 or 4 of you have different ideas because you've fallen for a silly linguistic game that's being played, that's obvious to anyone being objective

Peh said:
monocle_layton said:
Christianity still has a significant influence on modern day human history. Saying otherwise is ignorant honestly.

You mean like placing intelligent design besides evolution?

Or the larger donor to all charitable projects around the world, feeding and clothing billions, and being responsible for thousands of hospitals that are used every day.

But yeah, focus on petty stuff that the church actually had no decision making power in doing.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Nem said:
o_O.Q said:

"Agnosticism is simply not a thing." 

this is the funniest thing i've read all week, thank you

No... no, that is not the funniest thing. sadly.

Read the link i gave you and educate yourself.

for me it is

Peh said:
Azuren said:

Source, arf? 

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/atheism

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/agnostic

General experience. And nothing in those definitions directly conflicts with what I said. I just said it in a more detailed fashion.

EDIT: I'm mistaken, there is an inconsistency. Agnosticis don't necessarily believe there is something greater, they simply accept that as a possibility.