By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

Please don't make shit up, arf. We are done here, arf. 

Blah blah blah blah blah

A bunch of phrases randomly catched on the internet..... and curiously, you posted the wikipedia link, an article that states  (and confirms) everything I wrote before and contradicts everything you wrote before  .....  arf arf arf

Just even more evidence that you really don´t know what you´re talking about .....  arf arf arf

Yeah, with that, we´re really done. LOL

Last edited by Rogerioandrade - on 12 January 2018

Around the Network

The bible and Jesus is Astrology

Rogerioandrade said:

Please don't make shit up, arf. We are done here, arf. 

Blah blah blah blah blah

A bunch of phrases randomly catched on the internet..... and curiously, you posted the wikipedia link, an article that states  (and confirms) everything I wrote before and contradicts everything you wrote before  .....  arf arf arf

Just even more evidence that you really don´t know what you´re talking about .....  arf arf arf

Yeah, with that, we´re really done. LOL

Sorry, I can't ignore that, arf. You still failed to provide a source and quotation which supports your arguments and statements, arf.

Just" blah blah blah" won't cut it, arf.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JWeinCom said:
o_O.Q said:

"ou just don't know your terms or were tought wrongly. "Agnostic" is not a noun, it's an adjective. You were tought wrongly by the people that wanted to invent a new meaning for the term and atheism so they could better attack it"

there are plenty of resources that still have that definition(one of which i posted) and 10 years ago the vast majority of them did

"there is no belief that a God doesn't exist"

i'm sure that if i felt like it i could quote people saying this in this very thread... wtf man lol

"If something doesn't exist, by default it's not believed."

didn't you just say that the belief that god does not exist does not exist?

"It's therefore NOT a different position as Atheism."

lol ok, if you want to believe that atheism and agnosticism are the same you are free to do so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjY619aJ82Y

This is a pretty good representation, of the atheist view in general.  But I'll sum it up...

Basically, you are insisting on holding an inflexible definition of atheism and agnosticism, which happens to be one that many (most from my experience) atheists do not hold.

By doing this, you are preventing any real discussion from happening.  Instead of an actual conversation of what someone believes you wind up, as you and others have in this topic, having conversations about the semantics of the word atheist.

Really, what is the point of this?  Why not just ask the person what they mean when they say they are an atheist, and go from there discussing the actual beliefs?  Doesn't that seem more productive? As long as people in the conversation both understand what the other means when they say they are an atheist or agnostic, then that's all that really matters.  

The definition of Atheism has always been the same. There can be no debate if you want to make one up for your your convenience.

Agnosticism is simply not a thing. Agnosticism and atheism are the same position.

And no, i didn't contradict myself. You can not believe on the absense of something. The absense is the default state. Ergh... this is why it's vexing to debate with Religious people. You don't know concepts and you don't understand logic. 

Here, go read something: https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/

JWeinCom said:
o_O.Q said:

"ou just don't know your terms or were tought wrongly. "Agnostic" is not a noun, it's an adjective. You were tought wrongly by the people that wanted to invent a new meaning for the term and atheism so they could better attack it"

there are plenty of resources that still have that definition(one of which i posted) and 10 years ago the vast majority of them did

"there is no belief that a God doesn't exist"

i'm sure that if i felt like it i could quote people saying this in this very thread... wtf man lol

"If something doesn't exist, by default it's not believed."

didn't you just say that the belief that god does not exist does not exist?

"It's therefore NOT a different position as Atheism."

lol ok, if you want to believe that atheism and agnosticism are the same you are free to do so

This is a pretty good representation, of the atheist view in general.  But I'll sum it up...

Basically, you are insisting on holding an inflexible definition of atheism and agnosticism, which happens to be one that many (most from my experience) atheists do not hold.

By doing this, you are preventing any real discussion from happening.  Instead of an actual conversation of what someone believes you wind up, as you and others have in this topic, having conversations about the semantics of the word atheist.

Really, what is the point of this?  Why not just ask the person what they mean when they say they are an atheist, and go from there discussing the actual beliefs?  Doesn't that seem more productive? As long as people in the conversation both understand what the other means when they say they are an atheist or agnostic, then that's all that really matters.  

"Basically, you are insisting on holding an inflexible definition of atheism and agnosticism, which happens to be one that many (most from my experience) atheists do not hold."

no i'm saying that atheism and agnosticism are not the same thing in disagreement to him claiming they are

even if you want to make the argument that atheism, agnosticism and theism all exist on a spectrum like colour

with colours, for example, we still have clear labels for different points along that spectrum, for example, blue, purple and indigo all pretty much bleed into each other but we still distinguish them with clear labels
what you're arguing is that i can pretty much on a whim just say that indigo is the same as purple and run with that

"Really, what is the point of this?"

uh... i'm giving my perspective... isn't that what conversations are about?

"Why not just ask the person what they mean when they say they are an atheist"

i suppose reasoning like this is why its now law to acknowledge whatever identity someone has in certain areas and that includes identities like worm or dog

if i chose to identify as a worm would you acknowledge that? or would you use your common sense to acknowledge that i'm obviously human?

" Instead of an actual conversation of what someone believes you wind up"

i did not at any point tell him what he believes, that's up to him, all i said is that atheism and agnosticism are not the same thing

Around the Network
Peh said:
o_O.Q said:

no agnosticism is the neutral position of having no evidence so no belief

i've said it already but personally i think this new reclassification of what atheism is has been done to hand wave away people who criticise it

i have never in my life heard someone say that they'd reject evidence of a god if it was provided to them, but i have heard people that call themselves atheist quite often reject completely the idea that a god could exist(examples are present in this very thread)

some definitions still show that "Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist." this came from google

this whole thing about equating agnosticism and atheist is just a linguistic game and i just don't buy it

I've posted the official definition for these terms, arf. Look it up, arf. You can't just make your own definition of a word and use it for your argument, arf. That's intellectual dishonesty, arf.

the first entry that popped up on google has this as the definition

"...Less broadly, atheismis the rejection of belief that any deities exist. In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general form, is the belief that..."

Nem said:
JWeinCom said:

The definition of Atheism has always been the same. There can be no debate if you want to make one up for your your convenience.

Agnosticism is simply not a thing. Agnosticism and atheism are the same position.

And no, i didn't contradict myself. You can not believe on the absense of something. The absense is the default state. Ergh... this is why it's vexing to debate with Religious people. You don't know concepts and you don't understand logic. 

Here, go read something: https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/

"Agnosticism is simply not a thing." 

this is the funniest thing i've read all week, thank you

Podings said:
Spoken as a true Christian.

which denomination do you wager i'm a part of?

o_O.Q said:
Peh said:

I've posted the official definition for these terms, arf. Look it up, arf. You can't just make your own definition of a word and use it for your argument, arf. That's intellectual dishonesty, arf.

the first entry that popped up on google has this as the definition

"...Less broadly, atheismis the rejection of belief that any deities exist. In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general form, is the belief that..."

Intellectual dishonesty still fits you, arf. 

I've posted the quote with a link in this very thread on page 8, arf. Maybe you've missed it, arf. But even so, you've quoted only the part that fits your agenda, arf. What you left out is the following, arf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism ,arf

"Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deties[1][2][3][4] Less broadly, atheism is ...." ,arf

"Atheism is contrasted with theism,[9][10] which, in its most general form, is the belief that at least one deity exists" ,arf

You should also take note that there is a misconception and a wrong definitions spread about atheism, arf.
This is also in one of the references to the quote which is, arf:

2. Simon Blackburn, ed. (2008). "atheism". The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy (2008 ed.). Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2013-11-21. Either the lack of belief that there exists a god, or the belief that there exists none. Sometimes thought itself to be more dogmatic than mere agnosticism, although atheists retort that everyone is an atheist about most gods, so they merely advance one step further. ,arf

"...or the belief that there exists none. ..." ,arf

That statement is false and mostly used by theists / apologists, arf. Funny enough, because the oxford dictionary defines atheism as "Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods." , arf

Disbelief is defined as: "inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real", aswell as "lack of faith", arf.

If "I believe that no god exists" would be true, then the same would be valid for smurfs, magical ponies, fairies and everything that comes to ones mind, arf. 
If I ask you: "Do you believe that a smurf created the universe and everything else, arf?", then you would reply with "No, I don't believe that, arf. That's ridiculous, arf. I reject such a concept, arf." But would you are aiming for is rather: "I believe that a smurf didn't created the universe, arf.", arf. So, you actively believe that, meaning the contrary could be indeed true, but you believe it is not, arf. Also, you would automatically define it as a belief system, arf. 

Same as, do you believe that Zeus does not exist, or do you not believe in Zeus, at all, arf? Same for all the other 1000 of gods you don't even know about, arf. Do you believe that they all don't exist, arf? 

Personally, I simply don't believe in any of those, arf. I am not buying what theists want to sell me, arf. It's not convinced by any of the arguments, arf. Hence, why I lack a belief in those things, arf. 

This was also posted several times already: https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/ , arf

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:

Sorry, I can't ignore that, arf. You still failed to provide a source and quotation which supports your arguments and statements, arf.

Just" blah blah blah" won't cut it, arf.

LOL I see you can´t ignore to accuse me of doing what you actually do,  or to be proven wrong with a single article, mentioned by  yourself.

Take my cup of care, honey. 

Last edited by Rogerioandrade - on 12 January 2018