By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

Rogerioandrade said:
Peh said:

I know that atheism and agnosticism are two different things, arf. Where do I say that I don't know, arf?

You don´t need to. Your affirmations evidence that. arf arf arf. 

Page 4, post 12, you are welcome, arf. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
Rogerioandrade said:

You don´t need to. Your affirmations evidence that. arf arf arf. 

Even more evidence that you don´t know the difference arf arf arf ... or better... you don´t even  know what proper atheism is ... arf arf arf. 

Last edited by Rogerioandrade - on 11 January 2018

Rogerioandrade said:
Peh said:

Even more evidence that you don´t know the difference arf arf arf ... or better... you don´t even  know what proper atheism is ... arf arf arf. 

Instead of playing games, you can actually tell me why I am wrong and you are right, arf.

Show me your definition and why you think that yours is correct, arf. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Rogerioandrade said:

Instead of playing games, you can actually tell me why I am wrong and you are right, arf.

This was already discussed extensively here .....arf arf  arf  .....  You haven´t read the thread at all, do you?  arf arf arf.

Atheists do not accept the existence of any spiritual beings. Agnostics do ..... .  arf arf

There is a lot more I could elaborate on the topic, but as this dumb discussion goes, it would just be a waste of time arf arf....  I´d rather enjoy that time playing games..... arf arf

Farewell. 

Rogerioandrade said:
[...]

Atheists do not accept the existence of any spiritual beings. Agnostics do ..... .  arf arf

[...]

Atheism is classical greek and means "without god". So the only thing all atheists have in common is that they do not believe any gods in any form exist. I have yet to see a definition that includes other spiritual beings or events. If you have one please share it with us.

Agnosticism just means that the existance of god(s) is unknowable and has pretty little to do with personal beliefs. But you're not agnostic if you do not believe in god but are certain that Nessie exists or something. You can also be an atheist and agnostic at the same time, the two do not exclude each other. You could for example say that you don't know if a god exists but that you do not believe it is the case. There you go, you are an agnostic atheist. Neither of those has anything to do with ghosts, Yetis, fairies or whatever. At least to my knowledge.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
StarOcean said:
I came to this forum a Christian. But over time I’ve slowly eroded towards atheism. At this point I detest Christianity

that's quite unfortunate, there are a lot of useful archetypal lessons in the bible and other religions that you'll miss out on

on the other hand there's really nothing to learn in atheism... its simply "there is no god" (even though there is no evidence of that) and "ha ha religious people are dumb" 

Ridiculous.

1. You cannot prove something doesn't exist when you can't prove it exists in the first place. Your God is as likely as the pink unicorn from space. You can't disprove that aswell. That is a fundamental lack of understanding of the rules of logic.

Do you live in the basis that anything can be true? The monsters under your bed? Freddy in your dreams? Aliens in your backyard coming to do rectal exams? A peny that drops from space and will make a hole in your hand? Do you not see how that world view is chaotic?

2. Atheism is not a religion. There is nothing more to it than "we don't see proof that your god exists and therefore we don't believe in it" (btw just like no one would believe you had a dragon in your basement unless you provided proof). As for the last part, well... it is painfully true, but due to forum rules we try not to say it. But it is what it is. If religious people studied and learned, they would know religious claims are completely idiotic.

Last edited by Nem - on 11 January 2018

OdinHades said:
Rogerioandrade said:
[...]

[...]

Atheism is classical greek and means "without god". So the only thing all atheists have in common is that they do not believe any gods in any form exist. I have yet to see a definition that includes other spiritual beings or events. If you have one please share it with us.

Agnosticism just means that the existance of god(s) is unknowable and has pretty little to do with personal beliefs. But you're not agnostic if you do not believe in god but are certain that Nessie exists or something. You can also be an atheist and agnostic at the same time, the two do not exclude each other. You could for example say that you don't know if a god exists but that you do not believe it is the case. There you go, you are an agnostic atheist. Neither of those has anything to do with ghosts, Yetis, fairies or whatever. At least to my knowledge.

Actually, there is a lot of discussion around scholars of what exactly defines atheism but as a broad sense, atheism is the rejection of religion and the rejection of the existence of spiritual/supernatural beings, be them deities, gods, ghosts, spirits, whatever.  Agnostics, as you said, believes that the existence of such entities is unconclusive, agnostics believe that there is something, but it´s up to each one to interpretate what such entities are or may be.

Still, for some scholars, atheism would only be the rejection of the existence of a single centric entity, but that brings some questions whether religions that do not believe in a single centric entity would also be rejected. It can be  confusing because most religions, even those that are single centric, do have other minor entities as well.

There are certain religions or philosophies  that consider man itself as a spiritual being but not consider the existence of other spiritual beings,  Such proposed atheism could admit nontheistic religions like Syntheism, Wicca, Buddhism etc. and, again, conflicting with the idea of atheism as a rejection of religion.

In the end, as in most religions, atheism also has many different lines of thought and some are conflictive. Sometimes very conflictive. That´s why I think it´s important to know the difference and not put atheism and agnosticism in the same basket.

Rogerioandrade said:
Peh said:

This was already discussed extensively here .....arf arf  arf  .....  You haven´t read the thread at all, do you?  arf arf arf.

There is a lot more I could elaborate on the topic, but as this dumb discussion goes, it would just be a waste of time arf arf....  I´d rather enjoy that time playing games..... arf arf

Farewell. 

Rogerioandrade said:
OdinHades said:

Actually, there is a lot of discussion around scholars of what exactly defines atheism but as a broad sense, atheism is the rejection of religion and the rejection of the existence of spiritual/supernatural beings, be them deities, gods, ghosts, spirits, whatever.  Agnostics, as you said, believes that the existence of such entities is unconclusive, agnostics believe that there is something, but it´s up to each one to interpretate what such entities are or may be.

Still, for some scholars, atheism would only be the rejection of the existence of a single centric entity, but that brings some questions whether religions that do not believe in a single centric entity would also be rejected. It can be  confusing because most religions, even those that are single centric, do have other minor entities as well.

There are certain religions or philosophies  that consider man itself as a spiritual being but not consider the existence of other spiritual beings,  Such proposed atheism could admit nontheistic religions like Syntheism, Wicca, Buddhism etc. and, again, conflicting with the idea of atheism as a rejection of religion.

In the end, as in most religions, atheism also has many different lines of thought and some are conflictive. Sometimes very conflictive. That´s why I think it´s important to know the difference and not put atheism and agnosticism in the same basket.

No, no, no, no, no, arf, no, no, no, arf. You can't just make up stuff, arf. That's not how a definition for a word works, arf.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/atheism ,arf

"Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods." , arf

"Origin

Late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god’." ,arf

Does it say anything about other spiritual beings besides god, arf? No, arf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism ,arf

"Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2][3][4] Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist.[5][6] In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[1][2][7][8] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[9][10] which, in its most general form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.[10][11][12]" ,arf  

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/agnostic ,arf

"A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God." ,arf

Does this one says about spiritual beings besides god, arf? No, arf. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism ,arf

"Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable.[1][2][3]

According to the philosopher William L. Rowe, "agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist".[2] Agnosticism is a doctrine or set of tenets[4] rather than a religion." ,arf

Please don't make shit up, arf. We are done here, arf. 

You can still post a source for your definition, arf.

Nem said:
o_O.Q said:

that's quite unfortunate, there are a lot of useful archetypal lessons in the bible and other religions that you'll miss out on

on the other hand there's really nothing to learn in atheism... its simply "there is no god" (even though there is no evidence of that) and "ha ha religious people are dumb" 

Ridiculous.

1. You cannot prove something doesn't exist when you can't prove it exists in the first place. Your God is as likely as the pink unicorn from space. You can't disprove that aswell. That is a fundamental lack of understanding of the rules of logic.

Do you live in the basis that anything can be true? The monsters under your bed? Freddy in your dreams? Aliens in your backyard coming to do rectal exams? A peny that drops from space and will make a hole in your hand? Do you not see how that world view is chaotic?

2. Atheism is not a religion. There is nothing more to it than "we don't see proof that your god exists and therefore we don't believe in it" (btw just like no one would believe you had a dragon in your basement unless you provided proof). As for the last part, well... it is painfully true, but due to forum rules we try not to say it. But it is what it is. If religious people studied and learned, they would know religious claims are completely idiotic.

for one i didn't talk about a god... i didn't claim that i have one etc

i didn't imply that i have the basis that anything can be true

"we don't see proof that your god exists and therefore we don't believe in it"

this is agnosticism

and... it looks like you pretty much agreed with what i said here

"on the other hand there's really nothing to learn in atheism... its simply "there is no god" (even though there is no evidence of that) and "ha ha religious people are dumb" "

so why'd you take issue with my post anyway?

The core teaching of Christianity is forgiveness, and as so far it has turned out to be the most functional basis for social order. The idea evolved in an environment and place which was and still is suffering from the neverending cycle of revenge and hate. Without forgiveness, the cycle of violence will never end.

The story how it was told was made for the people 2000 years ago. Dont get stuck on wondering if God is or not, just think of it how people can get along with each other better.