By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky Ongoing Game Award (PC Gamer)

Has anyone played Elite Dangerous? How does it compare to NMS?

Around the Network

Hello games conned everyone with this steaming pile of shit and now journalists who've been screwed over are crediting the developers. A nasty case of Stockholm Syndrome if you ask me.

Chazore said:
Azzanation said:

World of Warcraft and Minecraft deserved that award not No Mans Sky. Just my opinion.

This sounds more like everyone felt sorry for NMS than it  does earning the award.

They could have even given it to PoE, but they won't, because they are too focused on watered down games, bad ports and non platform based games (designed for the platform they are supposed to be talking about). PCG has been going down the tubes for some years now. You can see the comments section sharing the same level of disagreement with the site itself. The authors are basically disconnected from what the actual readers want to see.

So what do the readers want to see? Path of Exile is quite an old game, they probably gave it already an award. No mans sky is pretty recent and the developers are going their to fix the game despite all the hate.

Ruler said:

So what do the readers want to see? Path of Exile is quite an old game, they probably gave it already an award. No mans sky is pretty recent and the developers are going their to fix the game despite all the hate.

The readers want more talk on games they like and games they play on their respective platform. Games like divinity original sin 2, Total War Warhammer II. Torment: Tides of Numenera, Battlerite, Seven: The Days Long Gone, Hand of Fate 2, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, A Hat in Time, Tooth and Tail, Ruiner, and many others.

PoE is not !"quite an old game", quite old is 4 years and more. Pillars of eternity came out in 2015, not 2012/13.

The devs of NMS have to fix their game, or further suffer harsher criticism. It's not even a choice for them.

There are plenty of other games out there to talk about on PC than just Destiny 2, Assassins Creed Origins and Injustice 2. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Mr Puggsly said:
I feel like I should get a copy just to see what this game is. Its under $15 at this point.

You'd probably like it now. I've gone the other way. I loved the blank canvas it gave me to create an inner narrative but with the new additions of story and more 'depth' (for want of a better word), I feel restrained by the game, even though the choices are still in my hands. Progression is now tied to coded narrative and the galaxy map clearly shows you where things are for wealth and race. I loved the game because of the sense of freedom and loneliness. I think most people who play it now would be surprised at the amount of things to do because if you haven't bought it yet you're probably someone who didn't understand the initial promise of the game (not knocking you here). I'd give it a go. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
OneTime said:
Has anyone played Elite Dangerous? How does it compare to NMS?

It compares as much as Mario Kart compares to Gran Turismo.

Elite Dangerous starts with about 10 pages of settings to go through, then you need to figure out how to launch the ship without crashing it into the space station on the way out. You make money by doing delivery of mercenary jobs or you can simply trade goods between stations when you find a good route. Money to upgrade your ship and get better ships for better speed/manoeverability/jump range/cargo space/weapons/shields. Here's a tool with all the ships and how you can outfit them https://coriolis.io/

The game uses a realistic rendition of the galaxy with procedurally generated star systems to fill out the rest. 400 billion stars to visit. You start out in 'the bubble' which is about 200 ly across of inhabited space where you can trade and do missions. Outside of that is all there to be explored if you wish. https://www.edsm.net/ is another user created tool mapping the galaxy.

The star systems all behave realistically in real time. However black holes aren't actually dangerous (they do have gravitational lensing effects) and neutron stars can't be rendered properly for obvious reasons that they're only 1 pixel big. You can only land on airless planets yet those are very detailed and unique, while the same for everyone.

Oh and it's proper multiplayer. You can meet up with people, choose to play in private groups or go solitary, however the universe is still shared. If you make changes to one system, they will affect everyone else as well. (Not that you can make any big changes on your own, it's mostly influencing factions)

I like both games, yet Elite Dangerous kept me addicted for over 9 months. NMS started to get stale after a month. In ED you actually have a sense of getting somewhere and the galaxy is a far different place in the center than on the outer edges and it has all different nebula to visit. NMS gets very samey after a while. ED has about 10GB of screenshots sitting on my hdd. The galaxy is a beautiful place. However ED can also be incredibly boring, I watched a ton of Netflix while doing trade runs to get the exploration ship I wanted. Then there are some places it literally takes an hour to fly to with nothing going on.

Azzanation said:

World of Warcraft and Minecraft deserved that award not No Mans Sky. Just my opinion.

This sounds more like everyone felt sorry for NMS than it  does earning the award.

Chazore said:

They could have even given it to PoE, but they won't, because they are too focused on watered down games, bad ports and non platform based games (designed for the platform they are supposed to be talking about). PCG has been going down the tubes for some years now. You can see the comments section sharing the same level of disagreement with the site itself. The authors are basically disconnected from what the actual readers want to see.

Let's not pretend that it isn't Rocket League who deserved it most. Why give it to a terrible game that became alright when they could give it to a great game that got even better?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Good... finally someone realizes just hoiw great the game is Fully deserved IMO. Heres hoping that 2018 will be even better for it.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

NMS is an excellent game to own and enjoy it's unique and glad I've got it

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...