By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Verge: Why Nintendo Switch is the most innovative game console in years

The Switch as hardware isn't very innovative. It's basically a handheld that hooks up to the television. What Nintendo deserves credit for is going in whole-hog with the concept and combining their libraries.

That was something that was going to happen in the gaming space eventually, sure, but taking the first step is always hardest because sometimes the technology isn't mature enough.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
sabastian said:
People always seem to forget that Sony did almost everything the switch is doing now, way back in 2011.
Along with other innovations such as custom key board & back touch screen.
Sony gets almost no love for championing the addition of Cross/Play & Cross/Buy thats available on the Vita.
The switch is a good game console don't get me wrong, but the mobile home game console feature has been done long before on the Ps Vita.

Its all about execution.

Yes, Sony tried something similar as did Sega & NEC back in the 90s so the concept has been around for a long time but none of them had the flawless execution that Nintendo has done with Switch.

Its similar to Wii, the concept of motion controls had been around forever but again it was poorly executed until Nintendo with Wii.

The same argument could be made for VR headsets, those have been around forever but its just now becoming popular because Sony, Oculus, etc are finally able to execute the concept enough to make it appealing.

Innovate isnt just coming up with an idea, its also executing those ideas.

I would argue that what separates Nintendo is that they are willing to put all their eggs in one basket.  

That can be good or bad and Nintendo has seen both sides.

When they try something different, they fully support it.  It's like pushing in all your chips when you have a pretty good hand.  

Louie said:
Miyamotoo said:

I dont think that Nintendo problem was quality of games, evre past Nintendo system had quality games, but in some cases like in case of 3DS and especially Wii U didnt had them on time ready, but later even Wii U had quality games even Nintendo had divided resources for 3DS support also. But like you wrote, this time their all resources are focused only on Switch, so they will easily have quality and quantity.

I have to disagree here. Sure, Nintendo's system all had quality games, but as I said: There's a difference between a good / decent game and a masterpiece. Was Nintendoland as good as Wii Sports? Was Mario 3D World as good as Galaxy? Did the Wii U get a Zelda game like Twilight Princess? (Yes, but only when the Switch launched and the console wasn't in production anymore.) And Super Mario Bros. U was simply a rehash of Super Mario Bros. Wii, nothing exciting. We even had games like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze which was basically the same as Donkey Kong on the Wii but in HD. What I'm getting at is this: The Wii U's software library was full of by-the-numbers games, uninspired ports and a few games like Splatoon that drew attention to the platform. But compared to the years before the Wii U library was nothing to write home about. The 3DS did get better support... after the launch period, again strengthening my point: Nintendo puts out higher quality games when they stand with their backs to the wall. 

Yeah, masterpiece game are very rarely games, and it's even more  rarely than one platform have two of them in first year like Switch. IMO Nintendo Land is better game than Wii Sports, Wii Sports just had huge casual appealing. Mario Galaxy definatly had bigger impact on market but SM3DW was also great game. Like you wrote, Wii U did actualy got even bigger game than Zelda TP. I agree that NSMBU is basically NSMB HD, but DKTF was not DKCR HD and was great game. Also we can mentione Pikmin 3 thats actually best Pikmin game, or Smash Bros 4. and MK8 that are probably best games in franchises, Super Mario Maker is also great game, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, great Yoshi game...ad to that some ports like WW/TP HD...so totaly disagree, Wii U had some relly great and must have games, but had short full suport from Nintendo (only around 3 years) beacuse console was fail and Nintendo didnt want to invest any more in failed platform. I would actually arguing that Wii U has more quality games than 3DS if we compare number of quality games compared to number of all games released.

The Switch is appealing because it hits a number of targets at once. It's a simplified home console for casual gamers coming from mobile who had been put off by them before. It's a core-gamer friendly console as it lets you take some of the best AAA and indie games on the go, and even with compromises, it can still deliver the full experience. And it's a great family and party machine thanks to its built-in multiplayer and kickstand, making it a party system you can really take with you. While the Switch doesn't necessarily do anything new, it executes all of its core ideas in such unique and surprising ways that it makes it a joy to play on for nearly any game. The Switch is a very special console, it solves so many problems with, and addresses so many holes in the market with just a few swift strikes.

TheMisterManGuy said:
The Switch is appealing because it hits a number of targets at once. It's a simplified home console for casual gamers coming from mobile who had been put off by them before. It's a core-gamer friendly console as it lets you take some of the best AAA and indie games on the go, and even with compromises, it can still deliver the full experience. And it's a great family and party machine thanks to its built-in multiplayer and kickstand, making it a party system you can really take with you. While the Switch doesn't necessarily do anything new, it executes all of its core ideas in such unique and surprising ways that it makes it a joy to play on for nearly any game. The Switch is a very special console, it solves so many problems with, and addresses so many holes in the market with just a few swift strikes.

Well said.

Around the Network

It’s awesome. Before I bought it I thought it was good. But after having it for awhile and being able to bring it with me I really liked it.

Miyamotoo said:
Louie said:

Yeah, masterpiece game are very rarely games, and it's even more  rarely than one platform have two of them in first year like Switch. IMO Nintendo Land is better game than Wii Sports, Wii Sports just had huge casual appealing. Mario Galaxy definatly had bigger impact on market but SM3DW was also great game. Like you wrote, Wii U did actualy got even bigger game than Zelda TP. I agree that NSMBU is basically NSMB HD, but DKTF was not DKCR HD and was great game. Also we can mentione Pikmin 3 thats actually best Pikmin game, or Smash Bros 4. and MK8 that are probably best games in franchises, Super Mario Maker is also great game, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, great Yoshi game...ad to that some ports like WW/TP HD...so totaly disagree, Wii U had some relly great and must have games, but had short full suport from Nintendo (only around 3 years) beacuse console was fail and Nintendo didnt want to invest any more in failed platform. I would actually arguing that Wii U has more quality games than 3DS if we compare number of quality games compared to number of all games released.

We agree to disagree, then. But in the end software sells hardware and the software on Wii U didn't sell many consoles. And I don't even want to get into that discussion if you really argue that Nintendoland was better than Wii Sports :p Wii Sports was a worldwide phenomenon that single-handedly sold millions of Wii consoles around the globe, found its way into pop culture and was featured in the news for months after its release. Nintendoland probably didn't appeal to anyone outside the hardcore Nintendo fanbase. 

Louie said:
Miyamotoo said:

We agree to disagree, then. But in the end software sells hardware and the software on Wii U didn't sell many consoles. And I don't even want to get into that discussion if you really argue that Nintendoland was better than Wii Sports :p Wii Sports was a worldwide phenomenon that single-handedly sold millions of Wii consoles around the globe, found its way into pop culture and was featured in the news for months after its release. Nintendoland probably didn't appeal to anyone outside the hardcore Nintendo fanbase. 

Well huge difference is that Wii U start receiving heavy hitters when consoles was already considered fail and nothing couldn't save it (while Switch has multiply hevy hitters and system seller games in 1st 9 months on market), but fact is that Wii U ended at end with some great games. Like I wrote, Wii Sports was worldwide phenomenon beacuse was great game for casuals and people that never before played any game, its game for 3-99 years old, but Nintendo Land was much more interesting game for core gamers, and for me Nintendo Land is easily better game. More popular and more apeling game for market doesnt mean its better game, Wii Sports has 76 metascore and despite that sold tens of millions Wii consoles to people that never before had any console.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 23 December 2017

"Red oceans represent all the industries in existence today – the known market space. In the red oceans, industry boundaries are defined and accepted, and the competitive rules of the game are known. Here companies try to outperform their rivals to grab a greater share of product or service demand. As the market space gets crowded, prospects for profits and growth are reduced. Products become commodities or niche, and cutthroat competition turns the ocean bloody; hence, the term "red oceans".

Blue oceans, in contrast, denote all the industries not in existence today – the unknown market space, untainted by competition. In blue oceans, demand is created rather than fought over. There is ample opportunity for growth that is both profitable and rapid. In blue oceans, competition is irrelevant because the rules of the game are waiting to be set. Blue ocean is an analogy to describe the wider, deeper potential of market space that is not yet explored." - W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne - Blue Ocean Strategy 

If we consider that the red ocean in the gaming industry is the hardware power race, yes the Switch is an innovative product. The hybrid concept target a new and unexplored market that will give Nintendo an enormous profit on staying in it.

And that's what people who asks for Nintendo to make more powerful systems don't get. They don't want to enter in a saturated market with Sony and Microsoft. They are pretty good at the spot they are now and are making lots of money there without any competition.

Last edited by TH_Lis - on 23 December 2017