By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Verge: Why Nintendo Switch is the most innovative game console in years

Louie said:

It was a decent video but I think it failed to properly identify Nintendo's challenges moving forward. For some reason everyone seems to think Nintendo's big obstacle will be the quantity of the software output: The video said games like Pokémon and Metroid "take years to make" and painted a picture in which Nintendo will have to rely on third parties to sell their console next year. I think this is entirely wrong. Nintendo publishes 25+ games per year (actually, it's more around 30) and all their resources are now focused on the Switch. They'll have absolutely no problem to release big games like Pokémon, Metroid, Animal Crossing and 2D Mario relatively close to each other. I doubt their plan is to release Metroid and Pokémon in 2019 (but of course, games could get delayed).

Nintendo's bigger problem has been the quality of the software they released in the past. Nintendo always seems to get lazy once they have some financial success. They then release games that have less appeal and less selling power and seem more focused on developing the games they like to make internally, instead of the games the consumer wants. Or they put less energy into the stuff that actually sells hardware (it's one thing to go through the motions of making a 2D Mario title - it's an entirely different thing to make a great 2D Mario title). Software quality - not quantity - will be Nintendo's big challenge over the next few years, because right now they are in a good position so they don't feel as much pressure anymore. That's my opinion, at least. Software sells hardware and people know the difference between a decent game (most of their Wii U output was decent but not exciting) and an amazing game like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey.

I dont think that Nintendo problem was quality of games, evre past Nintendo system had quality games, but in some cases like in case of 3DS and especially Wii U didnt had them on time ready, but later even Wii U had quality games even Nintendo had divided resources for 3DS support also. But like you wrote, this time their all resources are focused only on Switch, so they will easily have quality and quantity.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said: 
TallSilhouette said:

Are they, though? It's more a puff piece about why the Switch is selling than an analysis of how it's innovative.

He casts some doubt though.... says its up to developers now to make sure it doesnt fail, by keeping good software from 3rd parties comeing, until Nintendo are ready with next zelda+mario+metroid.

Actually there he was wrong because he assumes that Nintendo will not have other hevi hitters for next year, basically he only mentioned games that Nintendo confirmed.

So was the Wii, the 3DS, the Virtual boy, kinect, the Ngage and so on.

Being innovative is not everything, it doesn't make you the best.

JRPGfan said:
vivster said:

Would you mind naming some of those points? Just posting a video isn't really doing it.

The points where:

nintendo knows handhelds.

They needed to fail with the wii u, it was a stepping stone, to allow them to do the switch (and have a mario+zelda ready at launch for it).

What is there to know about handhelds other than "you put Nintendo exclusives on them"? I'm pretty sure everyone else knows that too.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

maxleresistant said:

Wii and 3DS are top selling consoles of its generations. 

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
maxleresistant said:

But what about the wii u? It was the most innovative console of its generation. The wii and 3ds were innovative but they werent even close to being the best selling system ever.

Pinkie_pie said:
EricFabian said:

But what about the wii u? It was the most innovative console of its generation. The wii and 3ds were innovative but they werent even close to being the best selling system ever.

Dude Wii is the 3rd best selling homeconsole ever and he is not saying every innovative console has to be succesful, Virtual Boy wasn't.

Miyamotoo said:
Louie said:

I dont think that Nintendo problem was quality of games, evre past Nintendo system had quality games, but in some cases like in case of 3DS and especially Wii U didnt had them on time ready, but later even Wii U had quality games even Nintendo had divided resources for 3DS support also. But like you wrote, this time their all resources are focused only on Switch, so they will easily have quality and quantity.

I have to disagree here. Sure, Nintendo's system all had quality games, but as I said: There's a difference between a good / decent game and a masterpiece. Was Nintendoland as good as Wii Sports? Was Mario 3D World as good as Galaxy? Did the Wii U get a Zelda game like Twilight Princess? (Yes, but only when the Switch launched and the console wasn't in production anymore.) And Super Mario Bros. U was simply a rehash of Super Mario Bros. Wii, nothing exciting. We even had games like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze which was basically the same as Donkey Kong on the Wii but in HD. What I'm getting at is this: The Wii U's software library was full of by-the-numbers games, uninspired ports and a few games like Splatoon that drew attention to the platform. But compared to the years before the Wii U library was nothing to write home about. The 3DS did get better support... after the launch period, again strengthening my point: Nintendo puts out higher quality games when they stand with their backs to the wall. 

It’s an achievement to come up with this before launch.
Or even shortly after launch.

Making an article like that in almost 2018, my little cousin could have come up with that now.
And these people get money to say what everyone already knows the whole year.

''Hadouken!''

Goodnightmoon said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Dude Wii is the 3rd best selling homeconsole ever and he is not saying every innovative console has to be succesful, Virtual Boy wasn't.

Innovation is by definition tied to success. If a product does not succeed it's not an innovation because it didn't provide a product that is more efficient or better than the products it's trying to compete with. Though, something that's successful isn't necessarily an innovation.

You could say that the Switch is an innovation on both the 3DS and the Wii U. If it is an innovation on other consoles, we'll see.

Last edited by vivster - on 22 December 2017

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.