By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of ZELDA?

It was first called Hyrule Fantasy in Japan, the western version was called Legend of Zelda. After some time, Japan used the Legend of Zelda IP by default as well. If you are familiar with the canon lore behind the franchise, Zelda is the human incarnation of the Goddess Hylia and is reincarnated over time. Much of the legend surrounds her.

Link holds the spirit of the chosen hero of the Goddess, and is also reincarnated. He is merely a tool (an important tool) of the Goddess and nothing more.

The canon games that do not have Zelda present are side stories that follow an incarnation of Link in a Quest after his initial adventure regarding Ganon and Zelda. They use the same IP Legend of Zelda to signify that it is a canon entry in the Legend of Zelda franchise, despite Zelda not being present for these side stories.

Hope this clears things up.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
vivster said:
Link isn't the main character. He's not even a character.

They couldn't have named it "The Misadventures of Ganon, the Unlucky". So they just took the name of the nearest chick.

He is in BotW. Link is offially his name now.

Yeah, but does he have any character? Feels more like an empty husk that could be replaced with anyone else to me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Serious reply: Because Miyamoto liked the name "Zelda". He named the princess after Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of author F. Scott Fitzgerald, and he probably liked the ring to it so much that he decided to name the whole game after her.

vivster said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Yeah, but does he have any character? Feels more like an empty husk that could be replaced with anyone else to me.

Samus is the same way but a character none the less. Link is a character now. He has a history, he has a story, he has a name.

Why does the herpes medication have to be called Herpecin?That's some scarlet letter bullshit right there. My friend from Niagra Falls was really mad about this.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Seriously, I know this question has been asked thousands of times, but why is it called The Legend of Zelda when she's not the main character? She doesn't even do much in most games.

It's not like she's the one scouring Hyrule for ancient McGuffins and eventually killing Ganondorf.

Because a game doesn't have to be named after the main character, Zelda is the central figure everything revolves around as each incarnation of her is the reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia who triggered the Tri-Force cycle and as explained in Zelda 2 anytime the is at least one Princess in the royal family they're named Zelda to honour one of the earliest Royal Princesses who passed away.

COKTOE said:
Why does the herpes medication have to be called Herpecin?That's some scarlet letter bullshit right there. My friend from Niagra Falls was really mad about this.

LOL HAHA. I just laughed so hard at this. I imagine a girl finding that in her BFs medicine cabinet xD

vivster said:
SegataSanshiro said:

He does have character in BotW, you have to search for the background story though.

In Zelda's diary she states that she feels like Link looks down on her for her failures because he is so quiet and reserved.  One night, she asks him about it and he tells her that it is due to the constant pressure his role puts on him.

He is the chosen Knight to guard the Princess.  He pulled the Master Sword and is expected to save everyone.  Everyone is counting on him, and he is viewed as a becon of hope.  Due to this, he fears letting everyone down.  He feels like he cannot show his emotions as if he showed how scared he really was, people might lose faith in him.

Because of this he internalized his feelings and speaks only when necessary (like when he motions like he is explaining something or you select a dialog option).  This would allow him to remain strong in the eyes of t  he people.  It is also implied that behind the scenes, he cared deeply for Zelda and they opened up to eachother as their quest went on.  While their actual problems may have been opposite to one another, they actually mirror eachother in the the grand scheme, so it is quite fitting actually.

Link has a name, he has a personality, and has been around as an icon for over 3 decades.  It might not have been the original intent, but Link is very much a character now.  BotW only makes it even more apparent than ever before.

The diary I speak of can be found in Zelda's room (one in her study as well), you should check it out sometime.

Last edited by Shiken - on 22 December 2017

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
vivster said:

He does have character in BotW, you have to search for the background story though.

In Zelda's diary she states that she feels like Link looks down on her for her failures because he is so quiet and reserved.  One night, she asks him about it and he tells her that it is due to the constant pressure his role puts on him.

He is the chosen Knight to guard the Princess.  He pulled the Master Sword and is expected to save everyone.  Everyone is counting on him, and he is viewed as a becon of hope.  Due to this, he fears letting everyone down.  He feels like he cannot show his emotions as if he showed how scared he really was, people might lose faith in him.

Because of this he internalized his feelings and speaks only when necessary (like when he motions like he is explaining something or you select a dialog option).  It is also implied that behind the scenes, he cared deeply for Zelda and they opened up to eachother as their quest went on.

Link has a name, he has a personality, and has been around as an icon for over 3 decades.  It might not have been the original intent, but Link is very much a character now.  BotW only makes it even more apparent than ever before.

The diary I speak of can be found in Zelda's room (one in her study as well), you should check it out sometime.

Sadly I haven't played BOTW that far. If he really became a character I'm interested to see what future Zelda games will become.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

While Link is the main character, he’s not generally a well established character in the universe. His backstory is usually left vague, he doesn’t have a real personality, he’s just the “link” between the player and the game.

Zelda, traditionally, is the ultimate goal of the player, whose plight really drives the entire story. Not always, but I think this holds true for at least the classic games in the series.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334