By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Sony makes a "Playstation Switch" could it succeed?

Could Sony make a successful Switch ?

Yes 25 14.37%

No 83 47.70%

Depends on many things 62 35.63%

see results 4 2.30%

Total:174

If Sony did a full hybrid PS5 like Nintendo Switch it could possibly succeed, but it would have to wait for the Switch 2, so it could be compared against a smaller library. Going against the Switch with its current momentum would be a harder sell and lead to floundered results.

It is very unlikely Sony would pivot too far from their current trajectory of homeconsole and VR just to go head to head with a stronger competitor (Nintendo), while simultaneously giving Microsoft room to strengthen Xbox's foothold.

Though, Microsoft could also go hybrid with Xbox 4 making is a hybrid battle Royale. Anything can happen in this industry. 

Heck, maybe holodeck tech (full 3D space hologram projectors) develops rapidly and become the new console focus, who knows.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Player2 said:

Yeah, but PS5 won't have a play on the go option because Sony is dumb.

Yeah because they were so dumb to not include that in the PS4, right?

This thread and your first post are about built-in portability. We haven't even reached 100 posts and you're already trying to change the criterion?

Lawlight said:
Player2 said:

Tell that to Lawlight.

Tell me what? You disagreed with him in your previous post and now you’re acting like you’re in agreement with him?

Both of you need a better irony detector.

The sweet spot here would be to get the PS4 into a portable form factor.  Same platform, same games.  

Then yes it would succeed, because the Switch is awesome.  Nintendo has changed the game.  

Hardly. Just like Nintendo wouldn't be competitive with a PS4 clone a Playstation Switch wouldn't work easily.

While Sony 1st party games are very important as a differentiation element, the main reason people buy PS systems is still 3rd party games and a PS Switch would face similar technical limitations as Nintendo hence as platofrm it would lose ground against Xbox and PC.
Also, Sony 1st party game are heavily oriented to high-end presentation a cinematic experiences. Those kind of experiences are better a fit in the living room than on an handheld.

freebs2 said:
Hardly. Just like Nintendo wouldn't be competitive with a PS4 clone a Playstation Switch wouldn't work easily.

While Sony 1st party games are very important as a differentiation element, the main reason people buy PS systems is still 3rd party games and a PS Switch would face similar technical limitations as Nintendo hence as platofrm it would lose ground against Xbox and PC.
Also, Sony 1st party game are heavily oriented to high-end presentation a cinematic experiences. Those kind of experiences are better a fit in the living room than on an handheld.

this is why I don't see them creating a new handheld anytime soon let alone a hybrid, the stars would have to align for it to even get off the ground.

andyy

Around the Network

It will succeed no doubt. Anyone who disagrees just threatened if Sony does it cause that means another competition to Nintendo Switch.

Pure Handheld Gaming is already dead so why not hybridize it with console? That will make any potential switch players stay with the playstation ecosystem which is currently Sony's top priority just like with they are doing with PC. Honestly, that's what Microsoft and Sony did to keep PS3 and Xbox 360 to stay selling even after many years in the market by adding Kinect and Move. It kept the systems alive while Wii stopped selling.

It's not a bad idea.

The question is how Sony will do it.

freebs2 said:

Switch will keep on becoming successful if they have more powerful reiterative models coming because how closely the device functions as a smartphone.

Sony will be stupid if they do not atleast try their hands on it. The only problem I see with Switch is piracy because of its closeness as a smartphone device. Then again... Risk is part of a business.

Last edited by kurasakiichimaruALT - on 21 December 2017

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

I think the time is too early for a portable of the same power as ps4 but it needs to run similar code so perhaps a portable with quad core cpu's at 2ghz and gpu power in portable mode of about 300 gflops and the same 4GB of main memory as Switch but perhaps 2GB of video memory. Architecture very similar to standard ps4 with broadly very similar cpu power but much reduced gpu power. So it can run all the logic and game engine routines as a standard ps4 but output is much reduced in visual quality. Needs to be a little bit smaller and more compact with longer battery runtime. The screen would be 1080p but mainly streamed games from a ps4 or ps4 pro would take advantage of that plus simple games. Most big games would be forced to upscale from a much lower resolution, mainly 720p. I wouldn't bother myself going for a much more powerful docked mode due to cooling issues and the console being more compact than Switch.

1080p screen for use in a VR visor with games both streamed wired and wireless (wired to prevent lag) plus simple native rendered VR titles.

Long battery runtime 7 hrs plus.

5.5" to 6.2" screen, no removable controllers. Would look very similar to a DS4 but flattened with a screen in the middle and joysticks reduced in height closer to Vita. Also functions as a DS4. Would emulate Vita, PSP, PS1 and PS2 (as in if you own those games on psn it would run them). Dual micro SD slots and sim slot all models. Dock would be a simple power, hdmi and usb device but would allow for wireless display so you can remove the console from the dock to control games but would still have hdmi output. That's my idea of a good basis for a hybrid console.

Lmao.....No

Player2 said:
Lawlight said:

Yeah because they were so dumb to not include that in the PS4, right?

This thread and your first post are about built-in portability. We haven't even reached 100 posts and you're already trying to change the criterion?

Lawlight said:

Tell me what? You disagreed with him in your previous post and now you’re acting like you’re in agreement with him?

Both of you need a better irony detector.

I see that you have nothing of value to say.

spurgeonryan said:
Of course. Who wouldn't want to play ps4 on the go.

I wouldn't want a ps4 on the go. Don't have a single moment out side of home where I can fit gaming. If i want to game i just sit the fudge down on my chair and stay inside. If i ever buy a Switch it would be in the dock every day except 2 or 3 days per year when I visit my in-laws...  Not worth paying for a screen that would be turned off 99.9% of the time and a battery if it would be always plugged in. Even in my in-laws, i would take the dock too and use one of their TV's if possible. 

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4