By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Sony makes a "Playstation Switch" could it succeed?

Could Sony make a successful Switch ?

Yes 25 14.37%

No 83 47.70%

Depends on many things 62 35.63%

see results 4 2.30%

Total:174
konkari said:

Nintendo owns Japan market which is the biggest for portable market, Sony owns Europe and XBox has been strongest in USA. Trying to win Nintendo in Japan is a tall order, so I dont think Sony would go there.

MS practically only has a foot in the USA.  They are "relevant" in EU and non existent in Japan.  PS4 owns both USA and EU right now.  I suspect that the Switch will pass the X1 in the US lifetime sales as well, and yes Nintendo owns Japan.

While they still have a strong presence in the US, they are losing ground fast.  X1 has been behind the PS4 from the start, even in the US.  The 360 just landed in the right place at the right time.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

SIE shouldn't waste their budget.

yes if it can play ps4 games

ON PS5 they could make a line from dedicated console, hybrid and HH, with unified library if they dedicate a lot on the engineering and APIs... still I don't think that will give much more result than focusing on PS5 only.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Sony can't even make their smartphones and TVs sell like Samsung do for example. Just because a product has sales and it doesn't mean they can enter the market and rock it.

Around the Network

If Sony did a full hybrid PS5 like Nintendo Switch it could possibly succeed, but it would have to wait for the Switch 2, so it could be compared against a smaller library. Going against the Switch with its current momentum would be a harder sell and lead to floundered results.

It is very unlikely Sony would pivot too far from their current trajectory of homeconsole and VR just to go head to head with a stronger competitor (Nintendo), while simultaneously giving Microsoft room to strengthen Xbox's foothold.

Though, Microsoft could also go hybrid with Xbox 4 making is a hybrid battle Royale. Anything can happen in this industry. 

Heck, maybe holodeck tech (full 3D space hologram projectors) develops rapidly and become the new console focus, who knows.

Lawlight said:
Player2 said:

Yeah, but PS5 won't have a play on the go option because Sony is dumb.

Yeah because they were so dumb to not include that in the PS4, right?

This thread and your first post are about built-in portability. We haven't even reached 100 posts and you're already trying to change the criterion?

Lawlight said:
Player2 said:

Tell that to Lawlight.

Tell me what? You disagreed with him in your previous post and now you’re acting like you’re in agreement with him?

Both of you need a better irony detector.

The sweet spot here would be to get the PS4 into a portable form factor.  Same platform, same games.  

Then yes it would succeed, because the Switch is awesome.  Nintendo has changed the game.  

Hardly. Just like Nintendo wouldn't be competitive with a PS4 clone a Playstation Switch wouldn't work easily.

While Sony 1st party games are very important as a differentiation element, the main reason people buy PS systems is still 3rd party games and a PS Switch would face similar technical limitations as Nintendo hence as platofrm it would lose ground against Xbox and PC.
Also, Sony 1st party game are heavily oriented to high-end presentation a cinematic experiences. Those kind of experiences are better a fit in the living room than on an handheld.

freebs2 said:
Hardly. Just like Nintendo wouldn't be competitive with a PS4 clone a Playstation Switch wouldn't work easily.

While Sony 1st party games are very important as a differentiation element, the main reason people buy PS systems is still 3rd party games and a PS Switch would face similar technical limitations as Nintendo hence as platofrm it would lose ground against Xbox and PC.
Also, Sony 1st party game are heavily oriented to high-end presentation a cinematic experiences. Those kind of experiences are better a fit in the living room than on an handheld.

this is why I don't see them creating a new handheld anytime soon let alone a hybrid, the stars would have to align for it to even get off the ground.

andyy