By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Sony makes a "Playstation Switch" could it succeed?

Could Sony make a successful Switch ?

Yes 25 14.37%

No 83 47.70%

Depends on many things 62 35.63%

see results 4 2.30%

Total:174
EricHiggin said:

If PS has any chance of creating a portable/hybrid that plays console games, their best chance is explained in this article.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amd-delays-introduction-of-k12-based-processors-to-2017/

It talks about AMD's x86 Zen and ARM K12 processors being developed together with high compatibility. It also mentions a potential K12 APU, with two cores and a 'next gen' GCN arch (Vega?). The biggest thing is that this APU is supposed to be around 02w TDP, which is insanely low. If this is true it may not be all that impossible for PS to do it from a hardware standpoint. If the compatibility is there, then software shouldn't be too much of an issue either. I've been waiting to hear more about K12 after AMD went dark with it right around the time that Ryzen launched. Most recent articles I can find say K12 was supposed to launch sometime in 2017, but AMD seems to be keeping quiet.

If PS could create a PS5 portable/hybrid using K12 and have PS5 using Ryzen, with both using future Radeon GPU tech, it could work. Not to mention if they could achieve PS4 BC for all PS5 hardware.

With 500$ price point and 1.5 hours battery life? Possible, yes. Sell good? Nope

Around the Network
Player2 said:
Lawlight said:
Think of it this way:

PS4 : sold 70M so far
PS4 with play on the go option: Will it sell less than 70M?

Yeah, but PS5 won't have a play on the go option because Sony is dumb.

Yeah because they were so dumb to not include that in the PS4, right?

Player2 said:
MrRoops said:

Dumbest thing they could do is make it a portable and gymp the hardware.  

They would lose half their audience if not more.

Tell that to Lawlight.

Tell me what? You disagreed with him in your previous post and now you’re acting like you’re in agreement with him?

Of course it would succeed but it just wont be as successful as a powerful home console. If its their only system, the PlayStation fans will have no choice but to buy it. The vita failed because sony killed it. But if the hybrid their only gaming system on the market, all the sony first party studios will develop games for it and it will still have all the third party games. No third party can ignore sony only system, not even rockstar.

Nintendo owns Japan market which is the biggest for portable market, Sony owns Europe and XBox has been strongest in USA. Trying to win Nintendo in Japan is a tall order, so I dont think Sony would go there.

Around the Network
konkari said:

Nintendo owns Japan market which is the biggest for portable market, Sony owns Europe and XBox has been strongest in USA. Trying to win Nintendo in Japan is a tall order, so I dont think Sony would go there.

MS practically only has a foot in the USA.  They are "relevant" in EU and non existent in Japan.  PS4 owns both USA and EU right now.  I suspect that the Switch will pass the X1 in the US lifetime sales as well, and yes Nintendo owns Japan.

While they still have a strong presence in the US, they are losing ground fast.  X1 has been behind the PS4 from the start, even in the US.  The 360 just landed in the right place at the right time.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

SIE shouldn't waste their budget.

yes if it can play ps4 games

ON PS5 they could make a line from dedicated console, hybrid and HH, with unified library if they dedicate a lot on the engineering and APIs... still I don't think that will give much more result than focusing on PS5 only.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Sony can't even make their smartphones and TVs sell like Samsung do for example. Just because a product has sales and it doesn't mean they can enter the market and rock it.