By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Everyone is expecting the Jumangi sequel to be a smash hit

outlawauron said:
d21lewis said:
I always suspected it would bomb. I mean, since I first heard about it I felt it would be a disaster. We'll see...

I had the opposite impression. Wide appeal with its basis on something everyone knows with very popular actors. Kevin Hart and The Rock seems guaranteed successes at this point.

I LOVE the Rock. Even in mediocre movies, he is as charming as ever. Bay Watch proved he can't carry a bad movie entirely on his back despite being beloved. And a lot of Kevin Hart fans turned on him when he was caught cheating on his pregnant wife earlier this year. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
outlawauron said:

I had the opposite impression. Wide appeal with its basis on something everyone knows with very popular actors. Kevin Hart and The Rock seems guaranteed successes at this point.

I LOVE the Rock. Even in mediocre movies, he is as charming as ever. Bay Watch proved he can't carry a bad movie entirely on his back despite being beloved. And a lot of Kevin Hart fans turned on him when he was caught cheating on his pregnant wife earlier this year. 

He cheated again? Geez. That's two wives he's cheated on. Guy has some big problems.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

This honestly looks like possibly one of the only good reboots ever.

I mean, calling it Jumanji is meh, but it looks like a nice concept. I won't say it's an "original" concept, because it's not, but it's definitely a unique way of thinking about Jumanji. We've never really seen an expansion on what happens in "the game". Plus a co-op virtual reality experience sounds like great fun for a movie.

Its actually doing pretty good when I saw the first trailer I thought it would bomb big time.

outlawauron said:
d21lewis said:

He cheated again? Geez. That's two wives he's cheated on. Guy has some big problems.

The craziest thing is, he married the woman he cheated on his wife with. There's definitely a pattern here.

But so far, the movie looks to be a hit. The right amount of star-power, marketing, and a brand that tickled enough nostalgia worked in its favor. Sony pictures needed the hit. 

Around the Network

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this film. Critics seem to like it and audiences, too. I may have to check it out, now. Not above admitting when I'm wrong.

d21lewis said:
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this film. Critics seem to like it and audiences, too. I may have to check it out, now. Not above admitting when I'm wrong.

Since when a 58 in metacritic means critics like it?

Goodnightmoon said:
d21lewis said:

Didn't know. I only listen to a couple of critics and they liked it. I haven't seen it yet.

d21lewis said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Didn't know. I only listen to a couple of critics and they liked it. I haven't seen it yet.

Even if its not being received as a good movie it is still having a better reception that I thought it will so I may givi it a chance too, but in general looks like reviews are in the "fine" spectrum

Bristow9091 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Honestly, I don't even consider Metacritic when it comes to films, Gladiator has a 67/100 yet it's one of my favourite films of all time. Likewise, Watchmen only got 56/100 and I think it's bloody brilliant, easily one of my favourite comic book movies.

Gladiator is one of the most overrated films of cinema history and every year more people realize about it so to me it makes perfect sense, but you are right with Watchmen, that was a pretty awesome movie. Anyways is obvious crtics are not always right in the moment they write their reviews after watching the movie for the first time (they are often more right than wrong though) but I was just correcting him because he said critics liked this movie when it really isn't the case, they just don't hate it.

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 30 December 2017