By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XVI vs. Dragon Quest XII

Nautilus said:
Keybladewielder said:

Most maps in FFX are pretty straghtforward with little of exploration in the way and the game got rid of the world map and replaced it with a menu.

And since when thats necessarily bad?Inside is linear and look how well that game was received.P5 for the most part is linear with its dungeons and overall game design, and look how that game was received.You get the idea.

My response to you wasnt because you didnt like the game.Its your opinion and its more than fair.Hell, I hate GTA and I know thats an unpopular opinion.I just had an issue on how you presented your point and how that was factually wrong, at least as a reason on why the game should be considered bad.

GTA can suck a nut, every character is a caricature and the humor is aimed at 14-year-old boys. The worlds are boring cities and the formula hasn't improved or changed since PS2 era. GTA is easily the most stale open world series this side of Ubisoft. So no worries, not the only one who dislikes GTA.

As for FFX. It's a shame FFX wasn't like what was shown in 2000 with a big overworld to explore. I also just find the story and writing in FFX awful. When you boil it down Yuna is a crazy cunt who imagined her Meg Ryan boy crush with fake daddy issues. Hey, at least Bender from Futurama was there. XII was a great game despite Vaan and FF fell apart right after. FFXV tried to erase all memories of FFXIII. FFXV isn't shit but leaves a lot to be desired and has glimpses of something great. (I platinumed the game so no one can say I didn't play it). An RPG that is linear isn't a bad thing necessarily. Grandia II is very linear but one of my favorite RPGs ever. It still allows you to explore each area you're in to make it not feel as linear as it is. Being linear isn't always a bad thing but feel forced down a funnel-like X and XIII does suck.

Around the Network

I really wish that I have played more Dragon Quest games. I played DQ 1, 2, and 8 when they first came to NA on a home console. I really loved all 3 of these games. But most of the other DQ games have been released many years after the Japanese release and/or on handheld only. I prefer my RPG's a lot more on a bigger screen. I am really looking forward to DQ XI, because I will finally get a chance to play a DQ game on a modern home console.

Final Fantasy is a different animal. I do feel like a good chunk of the talent that made the best FF games are gone. On the other hand there are still some talented people left. I haven't played FFXIV, but it is a good example of what is going on in the franchise. It initially was a total flop, the worst mainline FF game ever. Then they gave the game to a new director and the reboot became a huge success. I am really impressed that someone was able to take a terrible game with a worthless reputation and turn it into something amazing. That takes some real talent. I would like to see that kind of talent make the next FF game.

So with DQ, I consider the game a must buy at this point. With FF I am cautiously optimistic. It traditionally has been my favorite series, and I believe they have what it takes to make another amazing FF game. At the same time there has been a huge noticeable drop in quality from the last few FF titles, and that could likely be the case for FF16.

SegataSanshiro said:
Nautilus said:

You must have played FF XIII then, because FF X is nothing like that.

FFX and XIII have a lot in commong and why both are terrible.

Both are great games.

VGPolyglot said:
SegataSanshiro said:

FFX and XIII have a lot in commong and why both are terrible.

Both are bad games.

Fixed it.

Mar1217 said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I love manipulating other opinions

Fixed it. But I agree they are bad games.

Nonsense!

Around the Network

FF XVI definitely would be more popular, but I would be equally be interested in both, depending on which platforms it came out on, of course

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

SegataSanshiro said:
Nautilus said:

And since when thats necessarily bad?Inside is linear and look how well that game was received.P5 for the most part is linear with its dungeons and overall game design, and look how that game was received.You get the idea.

My response to you wasnt because you didnt like the game.Its your opinion and its more than fair.Hell, I hate GTA and I know thats an unpopular opinion.I just had an issue on how you presented your point and how that was factually wrong, at least as a reason on why the game should be considered bad.

GTA can suck a nut, every character is a caricature and the humor is aimed at 14-year-old boys. The worlds are boring cities and the formula hasn't improved or changed since PS2 era. GTA is easily the most stale open world series this side of Ubisoft. So no worries, not the only one who dislikes GTA.

As for FFX. It's a shame FFX wasn't like what was shown in 2000 with a big overworld to explore. I also just find the story and writing in FFX awful. When you boil it down Yuna is a crazy cunt who imagined her Meg Ryan boy crush with fake daddy issues. Hey, at least Bender from Futurama was there. XII was a great game despite Vaan and FF fell apart right after. FFXV tried to erase all memories of FFXIII. FFXV isn't shit but leaves a lot to be desired and has glimpses of something great. (I platinumed the game so no one can say I didn't play it). An RPG that is linear isn't a bad thing necessarily. Grandia II is very linear but one of my favorite RPGs ever. It still allows you to explore each area you're in to make it not feel as linear as it is. Being linear isn't always a bad thing but feel forced down a funnel-like X and XIII does suck.

I dont agree with you at all, and many dont, but thats your opinion.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

They're both gonna be great. The good thing with DQ is that it's not gonna be a gamble. As long as they don't deviate from their core formula, and so far they didn't, it's guaranteed to be at least a good game. FF lives from radical changes so it's more of a gamble. But I have great hopes for the next one because it cannot possibly be worse than the last one.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

DQXII unless Ito is doing FF16 as he made the only FFs I liked

Mar1217 said:
vivster said:

They're both gonna be great. The good thing with DQ is that it's not gonna be a gamble. As long as they don't deviate from their core formula, and so far they didn't, it's guaranteed to be at least a good game. FF lives from radical changes so it's more of a gamble. But I have great hopes for the next one because it cannot possibly be worse than the last one.

*SE announces FF XIII-4*

As the only person on earth who thoroughly enjoyed all of the FFXIII saga this would be awesome. Sadly FFXIII-3 was quite conclusive. So far I cannot imagine a FF game that's worse than FFXV. Not even a FFVI remake would be as terrible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.