By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XVI vs. Dragon Quest XII

DQ is forever

andyy

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Keybladewielder said:

If the next FF game is a corridor fest with mostly bland characters and a whiny protagonist, I wouldn't be very hyped for it, and I would certainly prefer Dragon Quest.

You must have played FF XIII then, because FF X is nothing like that.

FFX and XIII have a lot in commong and why both are terrible.

SegataSanshiro said:
Nautilus said:

FFX and XIII have a lot in commong and why both are terrible.

Weird.Never thought that so many users would confuse the roman letter 13 with the roman letter 10.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Harkins1721 said:

Bland characters hardly. And Tides was 17 thrown 1000 years into the future. He also matures through the game. He's allowed to whine a little.

It's just that I found Lulu, Wakka and Riku really uninteresting and bland. Auron is cool and has a decent back story (mainly because he accompanied Braska in his travel), but aside from his coolness he doesn't have much of a personality. I really like Yuna and I guess I can see point about Tidus being whiny though he doesn't whine just a little :P

Nautilus said:

Most maps in FFX are pretty straghtforward with little of exploration in the way and the game got rid of the world map and replaced it with a menu.

Keybladewielder said:
Nautilus said:

Most maps in FFX are pretty straghtforward with little of exploration in the way and the game got rid of the world map and replaced it with a menu.

And since when thats necessarily bad?Inside is linear and look how well that game was received.P5 for the most part is linear with its dungeons and overall game design, and look how that game was received.You get the idea.

My response to you wasnt because you didnt like the game.Its your opinion and its more than fair.Hell, I hate GTA and I know thats an unpopular opinion.I just had an issue on how you presented your point and how that was factually wrong, at least as a reason on why the game should be considered bad.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

This is a tough question.

I enjoy both franchises quite a bit. DQ has stuck to its roots and has a lot of charm. With XI seemingly taking the VIII route, I am quite hyped for it. DQ VIII is one of my all time favorite JRPG of all time.

Now, when it comes to FF, my faith in the [offline] series has gone down quite a bit after the disappointment that was the XIII titles. XV did manage to show some improvements over the XII titles, but is ultimately not on the same level as the titles that made the series so great (pretty much all titles from XII and prior, barring X). I've been a fan of the series since the NES days, and have developed somewhat of an emotional attachment to it. So I always remain hopeful. But considering they're doing whatever they want with each title, and try to reinvent the FF wheel everytime, I really can't say right now if I'll be more hyped for FF XVI than I'll be for DQ XII.

DQXII will probably continue staying true to its roots, while FF XVI will keep trying to reinvent its series by addressing problems that shouldn't even have been created in the first place.

Never played either of those franchises, but Dragon Quest XI looks too good to pass up on since it's a turn-based RPG with a great and colorful artstyle (If the Switch version looks half as good as PS4 I'll be pretty happy already), it will be my first DQ game so I'm very excited.

Never had much interest in FF though, and seeing as it looks/feels more and more "western" to me as time goes on, I'll likely never play one of them.

"for what game are you interested more"

Final Fantasy. It's always changing up and each sequel, for the most part, has it's own identity.

"what ip of the next mainline entry has the better chances worldwide? still final fantasy, or will dragon quest take the crown?"

LOL. This isn't even a question. Even if Final Fantasy continues to become less relevant in Japan, it's too ingrained in other cultures to fail to Dragon Quest.

Nautilus said:
Keybladewielder said:

And since when thats necessarily bad?Inside is linear and look how well that game was received.P5 for the most part is linear with its dungeons and overall game design, and look how that game was received.You get the idea.

My response to you wasnt because you didnt like the game.Its your opinion and its more than fair.Hell, I hate GTA and I know thats an unpopular opinion.I just had an issue on how you presented your point and how that was factually wrong, at least as a reason on why the game should be considered bad.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, personally, one of the things I like the most about J-RPGs is the sense of being on a grand adventure and discovering a whole new world (that's why I love games like Xenoblade and DQ8) and I really can't feel that with FFX's map design and lack of a world map, and that's one of the main reasons that I wouldn't want FFXVI to be like it.  But I  don't think FFX is a bad game (I really like its gameplay and I thought its plot was interesting).

Keybladewielder said:
Nautilus said:
If FF XVI returned to what made FF a masterpiece in the first place(picture FF X as an example), FF beats the hell out of DQ easily, no need to think twice.

But if FF keeps going in the same direction as the last few FFs?DQ no doubt.

If the next FF game is a corridor fest with mostly bland characters and a whiny protagonist, I wouldn't be very hyped for it, and I would certainly prefer Dragon Quest.

Exactly FF X is actually one of the worst FF even though I eventually beat it.