By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I just watched the Last Jedi and (spoiler)....

Lucas-Rio said:
Aeolus451 said:

Alot of the people behind the film made some cringy sjw comments that highlights the fact that they put alot of things for bullshit reasons. It's similar to the state of marvel comics.  If they would just put more effort into the writing, pick actors on merit instead of race/sex and stop trying to ham fist progressivism into everything, we would have better films. It's no different than when religious people try to put a religious message into everything. It just sours whatever they created. I don't really care if sjws or religious people make their own content with their "messages" in them but don't hijack other content then inject that bullshit into it. Let me make this perfectly clear, I'm fine with anything with "diversity" in it but it has to make sense within the story and come off as genuine. For example, Predator 2 with Danny Glover. I really like that movie because it's a good movie. The character is perfectly written and well acted. The blade movies are pretty good. He seems like an actual badass. Coming to America is another good movie because the way it was done. I wish I could get baths like that. Sanford & Son is fucking hilarious. Why? Because they're genuine and they don't have sjws trying to ham fist their world view into it.  

This diversity thing is a false debate. Everyone liked the character of Mace Windu, he was cool. Nobody like Finn and Rose because they are boring, ininteresting and powerless.

it's an issue when film makers choose actors based on their skin color or sex rather than their ability. Even the MC is boring and poorly written. She uses force abilities she shouldn't be able to and knows things she shouldn't considering where she grew up. They have a complete disregard for star wars canon and logic in general.

Around the Network

I didn't like this movie despite being optimistic going into the theater. I feel like the series has become something I can't really relate to anymore.

I could give you a laundry list of reasons but there's roughly a billion YouTube videos that explain my gripes. Just watch Red Letter Media's review or something.

Meanwhile, I think I'm done with the series. In a way, it's kinda freeing. I'll still watch Ep1-6 periodically and smile. That's good enough for me.

Aeolus451 said:
Lucas-Rio said:

This diversity thing is a false debate. Everyone liked the character of Mace Windu, he was cool. Nobody like Finn and Rose because they are boring, ininteresting and powerless.

it's an issue when film makers choose actors based on their skin color or sex rather than their ability. Even the MC is boring and poorly written. She uses force abilities she shouldn't be able to and knows things she shouldn't considering where she grew up. They have a complete disregard for star wars canon and logic in general.

Rey has no personnality, but she is like the less worst new character. The Last Jedi did nothing to expand her, to the contrary. She spent the whole movie waiting for Luke and caring about Kylo Ren. First she is insulting him and then she want to save him , in an unexplained shift. She even surrender herself to Snoke...

Lucas-Rio said:
Goodnightmoon said:

That's completely false, his last declarations about the movie were very positive, that sentence was taken out of context.

You are absolutely wrong. That's a propaganda line  that the Disney/Marvel lovers are trying to spin as a damage control.

Hamill clearly said this was the opposite of what he wanted for Luke, it was so depressing for him he had to think it wasn't the same character. He accepted it as a professional acto and understood the director wanted to get rid of the past but that's all, he hated the Luke Skywalker of the movie.

All the star wars fans hated the Luke Skywalker of the Last Jedi.

A young , optimistic, impressive new jedi that turned into a weak, depressed, embittered , hopeless , defeated old man.

He was portrayed as crying and weak. Was owned by Kylo Ren when he destroyed the temple, was projected by Rey and disarmed like nothing.... Was again knocked on the ground by the fire on the three...

It was digusting....

But I bet you are fan of Iron Man movies or Avengers.

Bullshit, I know a lot that didn't hate it at all. And that evolution actually makes total sense, age makes that to you. Also I find way more interesting a Luke that is actually a human being with intern conflicts that made mistakes in life than a Luke who is just a 2 dimensional inmaculated saint that can do no wrong.

hudsoniscool said: 

I don't think so, I think people are speaking with their wallets. Since the end of the first weekend when audience reception has an effect on the box office it's fallen off bad. Since last Monday it's tracking about half of TFA and Barely ahead of rogue one. In fact its second Friday is down more than 75% from its first. It's going to be in the 70-80 million range for this weekend which would be the biggest drop off in Star Wars history, and the biggest drop in domestic box office in more than 20 years at least. 220 million to 75 million.... yikes. Force awakens did 150 million in its second weekend, rogue one did 65million(but only 150 in its first).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=roguevforce.htm

I'm not talking about box office, I'm talking about the future critical reception. This film was never going to do as well as Tfa at the box office. At the moment it's only the 2nd fastest grossing film ever in the US. Also this weekend is estimated to be over 100 million not 70-80. Saying people are speaking with there wallets would make sense if it weren't heading towards being the highest grossing film of the year.

https://www.google.ie/amp/variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-the-last-jedi-box-office-christmas-weekend-1202648308/amp/

Around the Network
pikashoe said:

hudsoniscool said: 

I don't think so, I think people are speaking with their wallets. Since the end of the first weekend when audience reception has an effect on the box office it's fallen off bad. Since last Monday it's tracking about half of TFA and Barely ahead of rogue one. In fact its second Friday is down more than 75% from its first. It's going to be in the 70-80 million range for this weekend which would be the biggest drop off in Star Wars history, and the biggest drop in domestic box office in more than 20 years at least. 220 million to 75 million.... yikes. Force awakens did 150 million in its second weekend, rogue one did 65million(but only 150 in its first).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=roguevforce.htm

I'm not talking about box office, I'm talking about the future critical reception. This film was never going to do as well as Tfa at the box office. At the moment it's only the 2nd fastest grossing film ever in the US. Also this weekend is estimated to be over 100 million not 70-80. Saying people are speaking with there wallets would make sense if it weren't heading towards being the highest grossing film of the year.

https://www.google.ie/amp/variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-the-last-jedi-box-office-christmas-weekend-1202648308/amp/

No it's not going to make a 100 million this weekend, that probably includes Monday. We already know Friday so the weekend can be estimated. My 70-80 million was highballing. Box office mojo has it at 68-70. And no it's not the second fastest grossing movie. It's fallen behind Jurassic world. 

Your right it was never ever going to be bigger than TFA, but these drops are massive. It's on pace for 600 million Domestic and 1.3 billion worldwide. Star Wars is a bigger brand than Jurassic park, avengers and fast and furious if the movie was really good the box office would be higher.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Goodnightmoon said:

Bullshit, I know a lot that didn't hate it at all. And that evolution actually makes total sense, age makes that to you. Also I find way more interesting a Luke that is actually a human being with intern conflicts that made mistakes in life than a Luke who is just a 2 dimensional inmaculated saint that can do no wrong.

It makes absolutely no sense. The marvel/Disney crowd may have liked it  but it is getting slaughtered by the Star wars fans

hudsoniscool said:
pikashoe said:

No it's not going to make a 100 million this weekend, that probably includes Monday. We already know Friday so the weekend can be estimated. My 70-80 million was highballing. Box office mojo has it at 68-70. And no it's not the second fastest grossing movie. It's fallen behind Jurassic world. 

Your right it was never ever going to be bigger than TFA, but these drops are massive. It's on pace for 600 million Domestic and 1.3 billion worldwide. Star Wars is a bigger brand than Jurassic park, avengers and fast and furious if the movie was really good the box office would be higher.

People bringing up the good opening numbers at the box office miss the point. The movie obviously started well because of massive hype, massive expectations and very good professional reviews.

It doesn't telle anything about the quality of the movie. It tells nothing except that people going to the theater had great expectations. The problem is that the reception for people who have seen the movie have been poor, really poor even.

The RT and Metacritics are low. In other countries it's also the least liked Star Wars of all.

The box office legs are beginning to slow and that's probably because it as has a disastrous word of mouth.

Lucas-Rio said:
Goodnightmoon said:

It makes absolutely no sense. The marvel/Disney crowd may have liked it  but it is getting slaughtered by the Star wars fans

Oh "The marvel/disney crowd" lol Good excuse

It gets slaughtered by the most noisy and probably childlike fans, the reality is many Star Wars fans loved the movie, and you don't need to go far to see this, even George Lucas was positive about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qL4lMQQ9IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRwmtpr79qE

This 2 are huge SW fans, the first is one of the most popular critics of youtube, the later is very important cinema director (just in case you don't recognize him).

Goodnightmoon said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Oh "The marvel/disney crowd" lol Good excuse

It gets slaughtered by the most noisy and probably childlike fans, the reality is many Star Wars fans loved the movie, and you don't need to go far to see this, even George Lucas was positive about it

Almost all youtube analysis are clashing the movie, you found out the two fringe people who are saying the opposite. Ratings don't lie, failing legs at the BO also don't lie after a great start, it has bad word of mouth.

Lucas isn"t saying anything because he probably a "don't speak too bad about us" clause in its sale contract with Disney.

This movie was Guardian of the Galaxy kind of movie, not Star Wars.