By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Self-Driving Cars Endanger Nearly Four Million Jobs but Could Create a $7 Trillion Industry

We should finally accept that we live in a world where not everybody can work anymore. Jobs will continue to disappear because of automation, not just in the automobile industry but in every industry. Instead of trying to keep jobs around that aren't needed at all, we should focus on a long-term solution for the future. Some way for anybody to live a normal life, with or without job. That would be far more reasonable than trying to stop the development of new tech for the sake of saving jobs. Even Bob Marley knew that you can't stop the time!

But yeah, I know, communism, blahblah, fuck me. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

The future is turning out to be like The Expanse.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
OdinHades said:
We should finally accept that we live in a world where not everybody can work anymore. Jobs will continue to disappear because of automation, not just in the automobile industry but in every industry. Instead of trying to keep jobs around that aren't needed at all, we should focus on a long-term solution for the future. Some way for anybody to live a normal life, with or without job. That would be far more reasonable than trying to stop the development of new tech for the sake of saving jobs. Even Bob Marley knew that you can't stop the time!

At least the world has fair warning.  Automation will take over but it's not an immediate switch and there will always be some careers that can't be automated(or not trusted to be automated, at least for a while) which creates an opportunity to sort out something for the college educated at least.  As for Farmer Billy Bob, I can't say, a living wage sounds like the only option.  Leaving the door open for capitalism won't be a bad thing - the hard working will make their own way, while the less skilled and lazy can be spoon fed.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

OdinHades said:

Indeed. It doesn't really help promising that the jobs lost will be fully replaced by others, which is so far from the truth. If all saved human jobs would create an equal number of new jobs, nobody would give a shit about automation.

Probably gonna hit the US especially hard because their state wide mantra is that if you're poor you should just get a job and if you can't find a job you're a failure of a human being. All while the money gained from the automation that could help people who lost their jobs gets funneled out of the country because regulation and taxes are for suckers.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Automation is scary. I thought it was only going to take low end jobs but that is not the case. Robot lawyer is much better because it can remember case law instantly. Also robot pharmacist already outperforms human pharmacist. Those are just two high paying well educated careers out of many that will be replaced that's scary. I don't like the car driving for me at all. I like driving it's fun.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

May not be in our lifetime, but this is definately where the world is heading.

A world where even without working you will be able to have a normal good life lacking of poverty. And then those that do work will have a life that is relatively better than yours, but everyone is still ok.

Intrinsic said:
OdinHades said:

May not be in our lifetime, but this is definately where the world is heading.

A world where even without working you will be able to have a normal good life lacking of poverty. And then those that do work will have a life that is relatively better than yours, but everyone is still ok.

That will inevitably be the future we're heading for. But it's also very scary considering human nature. Imagine if only 50% of the population works. There we will have working people with superiority complex that will treat the non working people like garbage despite already having a better life. Then there will be the non working people who despite not working will feel entitled to the same things. And they have the great excuse of there not being enough work for everyone to strengthen their view. Then there is of course the possibility of having not enough workers because most people rather not work and still have a decent living. It's all really scary from a human perspective.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Gamer147 said:

Automation is scary. I thought it was only going to take low end jobs but that is not the case. Robot lawyer is much better because it can remember case law instantly. Also robot pharmacist already outperforms human pharmacist. Those are just two high paying well educated careers out of many that will be replaced that's scary. I don't like the car driving for me at all. I like driving it's fun.

Robots aren't very good at lying so they will probably suck as defense lawyers. They would probably do a good job as public prosecutors though.

As for me I can't wait for self driving cars. I don't have a license and I don't intend to ever have one. So I'm eagerly awaiting the first cars without steering controls.