By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forgotten / Abandoned Quests

Do you care about side quests in RPGs

Yes 7 77.78%

No 0 0%

See results 2 22.22%

Total:9

So normally I wouldn't do a thread for something this meaningless.
Normally I would just make a wall post, and let ten or so people pass over it; but I am in the mood for a dumb thread, so here I am.

When playing through a game that contains side quests: it is common for a player to accept and ignore the quests that don’t interest the player.
Have you ever wondered what the life of that quest giver is like: constantly waiting for their problems to be solved by someone who doesn't care.

Do you complete all the side quests you accept.
Do you see side quests purely as xp, loot and gold dispensers.
Are there any games that handle ignored side quests in a notable manor.

Around the Network

I play RPGs partially for their story, and there I want to have the whole picture. For that I want to see all sides and parts of it, and thus do as many sidequests as I can. The XP and Item rewards are a nice bonus, but rarely the reason why I'm doing them

I typically do every sidequest I find and complete it. I may not try to 100% every game, but I do make it a point to finish every side quest that do not include collecting hundreds of a certain item.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Due to my backlog, I usually just want to finish a game as quickly as I can.

caffeinade said:

So normally I wouldn't do a thread for something this meaningless.
Normally I would just make a wall post, and let ten or so people pass over it; but I am in the mood for a dumb thread, so here I am.

When playing through a game that contains side quests: it is common for a player to accept and ignore the quests that don’t interest the player.
Have you ever wondered what the life of that quest giver is like: constantly waiting for their problems to be solved by someone who doesn't care.

Do you complete all the side quests you accept.
Do you see side quests purely as xp, loot and gold dispensers.

I've never had that specific thought, but I wanted to rent a room in the settlement in Borderlands 2. I even had one picked out. That was before grew to hate the game mind you.

To answer your other questions. I usually complete all of the side quests in any game that has them. And sure, more XP and loot is part of the reason. Don't know of any games off hand that dealt with missed quests in any special way.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

WoW can now be classified as an abandoned quest.

Hiku said:
caffeinade said:

Zelda: Majora's Mask and Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns do.
Both games have a real-time progression system that has NPC quest givers move around in the city or world depending on what time of day it is. Certain doors are opened/locked at certain times of day, etc.
They've also given these quests and characters more fleshed out stories than usual, in particular in Lightning Returns, so that you'll actually care about the world you're trying to save. Many of the NPC's have multiple questlines.

The Yakuza series handles side quests really well also. It doesn't use a real time system like the games above, but the Yakuza writers make these sub stories even more fleshed out and interesting than in the two games I mentioned above.

Oh, the Yakuza side quests are generally great. I wish I could complete the stand-up comedy routine in Yakuza 5. Here's the ending of a short one that stuck with me.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Most of the time I do quests if they add something more to the story or are few and fun to do.

Some of my favorites are from the Tales series, getting stuff like costumes and extra character development is great, Xillia 2 in particular is fantastic with this, each character getting his/her own storyline on top of the main game and they aren't excessive in number.

If the game is structured to get more out of it from side stuff, like Majora's Mask or Lightning Returns, I'm also all for it. Another notable example for me is the Atelier series, where most events are optional and about building up your affinity with the other characters and those with others.

Fetch quests with no real meaningful gain for me I stop doing after a while, which is the case of most of the Xenoblade series, XC1 I stopped after like 20 or 30 of them, I wasn't having fun with them, X I actuallly did everything because the world building was excellent,  XC2 I'm half doing them just because of the benefits and if they are short, I did like 15 and then stopped reading and skipping text just to get my reward.

Overall, it depends if I feel I'm not wasting my time with them.

I normally don't like simple fetch quests yet now I'm playing Skyrim VR I can't get enough of it and I'm completing every quest I can find. First time I played the game I was done with it after 60 hours. Last night I passed the 100 hour mark on my save game, lvl 59, about 75/80% though the main game, then the DLC.

I did not do all the sidequests in BotW. I played that differently, never using fast travel, so backtracking for quests, no thanks. It took me 170 hours total anyway finding and completing all the shrines and aout 400 korok seeds without fast travel. Side quest didn't add anything to Zelda. While in Skyrim I'm always gathering materials for alchemy, smithing and enchanting to maximize my equipment.