By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Autism, this is how it's affected me. Has it affected you?

cosmic_drift said:
I don't have Autism however I've recently suspected that I may be on the Asperger's spectrum. It hasn't affected my ability to function but has definitely affected my many interactions that I have had in the past.

Aspergers is on the autism spectrum.

Around the Network
snyps said:

[...]

I can't be happy unless I feel like there is plenty of money to secure the things I need and want. I get completely depressed when I feel poor, like nothing makes me happy. 

[...]

Well, what do you think? That other people are perfectly happy when they don't know how to pay the next rent? Life isn't always about joy and happiness. You just can't always be happy. Just struggle yourself through the bad stuff and look further ahead. And think about your family first and about yourself later. We all are depressed from time to time. I went through two years of straight hell on earth, but I made it through. Just don't whine about it. Do something about it. It might not work the first time. It might not work the second time. But if you keep trying, it will work eventually.

I don't have a perfect solution for your problem here, but what I'm trying so say is cut the self-pity and take responsibility for you, your family and your life. Don't try to look for the faults of others, it won't do you any good.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

StarOcean said:

Uhh... well first off dunno if my story will relate to the title due to how the story in your OP almost has nothing to do with autism.

As for me, I deal with autistic people on a daily basis as it is my line of work. However my initial encounter with it was with my little sister who has it and a traumatic brain injury so ever since she was born I helped take care of her with my mother because my dad didn't believe in autism and then left when she became too difficult.

I used the experience to start my journey in the medical field. I used it to land a job as a DSP (Direct Support Professional), a caregiver for the mentally and physically disabled. In my field you find that after a certain point (around when someone with autism or similar and/or worse issues turn about 25-30) they're given to facilities to be taken care of because of a variety of reasons but to boil it down: It's just difficult taking care of people with certain disabilities.

I take care of those people. It's sad though because more often then not, they're put in the facilities or homes and their families never see them again. And because of the high turnover rate (we get paid shit and it's a hyper stressful job) it can be extremely difficult for the special needs people because DSP's are the only family they have left. So when one of us leaves it can be emotionally challenging for them. There's one person with mid-level autism I work with, he gets really upset when people leave and will ask where they are months after a co-worker has quit.

But yeah, my responsiblities are mostly just taking care of them. I have to treat each a very different way though because they really are all different and require unique care taking in order to ensure they stay happy and healthy. Besides that, that is most of my experience with autism. The job is super demanding though so it's super hard to destress after work. Also, I volunteered to tutor special needs children, which included many with autism, for 2 years

Thanks for sharing. This is an awesome insight. I never new about the age range that ended up in facilities, or about the turn over rate of support personnel and the way it affects the disabled. That is pretty unfortunate.

Good for you for doing what was right with your sister all this time and putting that knowledge to work for others in the same way. It's not an easy thing. I'm doing the same right now sort of. I'm working with kids the same age as mine who are also on the spectrum. I'm applying my knowledge to my work, and what I learn from work, I apply to my child.

How's your sister doing? She's lucky to have had someone by her like you were. I wish I could give my son a sibling but I'm too scared to do it with the same mom but I'm too scared to. I have a crazy theory that the longer two people stay together, the more chance that the love between them dies. Then if you have a kid in that situation the kid is born with the absence of love in their heart. Love is what gives us strength and confidence to fight through all obstacles. Without it, every challenge seems worse than it actually is. It's a metaphysical perspective but there's nothing wrong with that in my mind. Speaking of metaphysics, what's your chinese sign? Is it the year of the dog? Your post shows that you do a lot for other people and that is mainly a Dog trait.. 

OdinHades said:
snyps said:

[...]

I can't be happy unless I feel like there is plenty of money to secure the things I need and want. I get completely depressed when I feel poor, like nothing makes me happy. 

[...]

Well, what do you think? That other people are perfectly happy when they don't know how to pay the next rent? Life isn't always about joy and happiness. You just can't always be happy. Just struggle yourself through the bad stuff and look further ahead. And think about your family first and about yourself later. We all are depressed from time to time. I went through two years of straight hell on earth, but I made it through. Just don't whine about it. Do something about it. It might not work the first time. It might not work the second time. But if you keep trying, it will work eventually.

I don't have a perfect solution for your problem here, but what I'm trying so say is cut the self-pity and take responsibility for you, your family and your life. Don't try to look for the faults of others, it won't do you any good.

This is what I'm coming to realize. I wish I could just hop on anti depressants and forget my problems. I gave up drugs and alcohol so I have to finally learn from my problems. 

Thanks for the perspective. I'll work on taking responsibility and committing to action.

cosmic_drift said:
I don't have Autism however I've recently suspected that I may be on the Asperger's spectrum. It hasn't affected my ability to function but has definitely affected my many interactions that I have had in the past.

To echo VGPolyglot, Asperger's is a type of autism, much like the 3DS XL is a type of 3DS. Under the latest diagnostic criteria Asperger's is no longer technically a recognized condition, though it is still used as a layman's term to describe the milder end of the autism spectrum.

Around the Network
snyps said:
VGPolyglot said:

Wait, you seriously believe in astrology?

So does much of the world.

Much of the world also once believed the Earth was flat.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 December 2017

My older brother has Asperger's and sometimes he's unbearable to deal with. I don't blame him for being like that, but the problem is that he simply doesn't change and after so many years I'm starting to get annoyed by it. I honestly have no clue if he'll ever be "normal". He's tried going to different psychologists for years now and for me it feels like it hasn't made a single difference whatsoever.

Sorry for the rant, but it feels good to vent once in a while.

Vini256 said:
My older brother has Asperger's and sometimes he's unbearable to deal with. I don't blame him for being like that, but the problem is that he simply doesn't change and after so many years I'm starting to get annoyed by it. I honestly have no clue if he'll ever be "normal". He's tried going to different psychologists for years now and for me it feels like it hasn't made a single difference whatsoever.

Sorry for the rant, but it feels good to vent once in a while.

Totally ok! Share as much as you like. I just wrote 3 pages of stuff on my computer and it feels really good to free my mind of it. Your feeling are perfectly valid. Thank you for sharing them.

curl-6 said:
snyps said:

So does much of the world.

Some theories stand the test of time. Astrology being the most ancient of all.

snyps said:
curl-6 said:

Some theories stand the test of time. Astrology being the most ancient of all.

There is no more evidence to support Astrology than there is the belief that the Earth is flat.

EDIT: I realize this may have come across as harsh, so I'll not derail your thread further with this tangent. My apologies.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 December 2017