By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Autism, this is how it's affected me. Has it affected you?

Zombie9ers said:
My 4 year old son was recently diagnosed with autism. It was hard to hear at first- as im sure it would be for any parent- but im glad he's finally going to get the help that he needs.

His mother left in May of last year. Long story short- she had addiction issues. We tried to work it out- but in the end she decided not to come back. We were together for 15 years.

I understand your wanting to find companionship. It's so damn tough raising a kid by yourself- let alone one with a disability. The struggle, the loneliness. I get it.

It was tough for me to start dating again afterwards- I had to focus on taking care of him, but at the same time still deal with his mother who was still making bad decisions and acts very sporadic and never sticks to a schedule- which made it impossible to make plans.

So I focused on him. That's the most important thing. I made sure that he was always happy and taken care of. Thats at least one thing I think I got right. You can't get this kid down - he's always happy and I make sure to protect him from the chaos that surrounds him. I also make sure to spend the time with him to focus on his development skills and make them fun activities so that he enjoys them- which he does.

As far as relationships go- I tried online dating for a while- it was the only way I could meet people since I couldn't really get out of the house much. That was hit or miss for the most part- but I always made sure he was top priority first and foremost.

Recently I started dating someone that volunteers at special olympics with me. She is kind, snd beautiful and has my same sense of humor. Shes also big into chatity work like me. We had known eachother for years. We are madly in love and I feel like I have my life back together after being in the dark for so Long.

With him, he's such a smart little dude that even the evaluators said that he was high functioning and may just need a little extra counseling, but there shouldn't be anything preventing him from having a normal life.

I hope you find your hapiness too- but make sure your child is taken care of first. That's the most important thing. Stay positive and I'm sure it will all work out.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. When my son was first diagnosed I wanted to meet other parents who were going through similar things so that I wouldn't feel so singled out. I know it's an epidemic but it doesn't feel like one when you are all alone in it. Your reply makes me wish I had posted about this to VGchartz way back when just to swap stories with a couple people at least.

Working Tech support at Nintendo over the summer is probably the only time I got to talk to other parents of kids on the spectrum.  I was shocked at how many calls I got from moms and grandmas who were trying to set up repairs for their autistic kiddos game systems. I was still not acquainted with talking to other people about the subject and i'd get a lump in my throat during the call every time.

Around the Network

I'm autistic.

I can't offer advice on your love life, but I can share some insights about life on the spectrum. Obviously I don't know your son, but these are just general things I have learned from my own life and from my job working with autistic kids.

First of all, always remember that just because your son may be non-verbal, doesn't mean he's not switched on. I work with a guy who is non-verbal and just assumed to be stupid when he was younger, but once he was taught to communicate via keyboard in his teens, he went on to become a published author and give "talks" at international conferences. Be very careful of what you say in front of him, because all too people say damaging things in front of non-verbal autistics assuming they don't understand, when in fact they can hear and comprehend everything.

Secondly, while it may be hard for you to let go of the future you had envisioned for your son, keep in mind that he can still go on you live a happy and fulfilling life. You may simply need to find alternative pathways that work for him. He will have his own ways of communicating, his own passions, his own coping mechanisms. Find out what those are, and play to his strengths instead of trying to force him to conform to the your/society's expectations of normality.

Don't assume that because he is autistic he will never amount to anything. Don't treat it like a disease; it's more like a different operating system. Imagine, if you will, that he is a Windows PC is a world where most people operate on Mac OSX. He may have challenges with things that others find easy, but chances are he's also brilliant at some things others find difficult. As human beings we are all good at some things and rubbish at others, those of us on the spectrum simply tend to be more specialized.

Identify his interests and encourage him to pursue them.Try to see his strengths instead of just his struggles. It's hard for a kid to believe in themselves if they don't think their parent believes in them. Kids absorb the attitudes of those around them; he will need you to be a source of positivity and support for him.

Also, it's important that you connect with other parents of spectrum kids; not only will you be able to learn and gain support from them, but having other children on the spectrum as friends can really help a kid on the spectrum not feel so alone.

There's a saying among those of us on the spectrum; we don't "suffer" from autism, we suffer from society's attitude towards autism. Most of us are pretty happy with who we are, we just find it difficult interfacing with the non-autistic majority since our thought processes can be so different.

It's a tough gig raising an autistic child, but your son needs you to be his champion.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 December 2017

MrRoops said:
Closest was i actually got stuck in a social class with them, they were mid to high functioning i forget the name but they talked but would easily get aggressive and lash out. Not easy to get through to also. Was brutal hated every day of it.

As far as the other things, for one stop putting your happiness dependant on the other person. You will always be miserable that way. There is no perfect ideal, don't put the pussy on a pedestal.

Stop both attempts at relationships until you figure your own shit out, figure out how to be happy alone and with out security. Man the F up and take on life, really what's the worst that can happen, a small apartment crappy old car.

DO NOT start anything with a roommate.

The name you are trying to remember is aspergers. And yes it is tough to be around people that are not emotionally or socially intuitive. Luckily you didn't have to deal with low functioning.

I'm currently working at a preschool and my job is to help autistic 4 year olds get along with the program the typical kids are on. I wish I could just work with typical kids it's so much more natural. I do not enjoy my job.

Thanks for the advice. I've never been able to just find happiness on my own. In astrological terms, I'm a goat and therefore a dependent by nature. Also, next year is a dog year so I have to work within a pack to succeed in it.

I should have taken the advice about the roommate. I merely mentioned that the notion crossed my mind and she decided immediately that rooming under those circumstances was no good.

snyps said:
MrRoops said:
Closest was i actually got stuck in a social class with them, they were mid to high functioning i forget the name but they talked but would easily get aggressive and lash out. Not easy to get through to also. Was brutal hated every day of it.

As far as the other things, for one stop putting your happiness dependant on the other person. You will always be miserable that way. There is no perfect ideal, don't put the pussy on a pedestal.

Stop both attempts at relationships until you figure your own shit out, figure out how to be happy alone and with out security. Man the F up and take on life, really what's the worst that can happen, a small apartment crappy old car.

DO NOT start anything with a roommate.

The name you are trying to remember is aspergers. And yes it is tough to be around people that are not emotionally or socially intuitive. Luckily you didn't have to deal with low functioning.

I'm currently working at a preschool and my job is to help autistic 4 year olds get along with the program the typical kids are on. I wish I could just work with typical kids it's so much more natural. I do not enjoy my job.

Thanks for the advice. I've never been able to just find happiness on my own. In astrological terms, I'm a goat and therefore a dependent by nature. Also, next year is a dog year so I have to work within a pack to succeed in it.

I should have taken the advice about the roommate. I merely mentioned that the notion crossed my mind and she decided immediately that rooming under those circumstances was no good.

Wait, you seriously believe in astrology?

VGPolyglot said:
From the title of the thread, I assumed it was going to be about something else, but it seemed to turn into a post about dating. Now, the "eagerness to breed" sounds very strange to me, almost as if you're mainly looking for a breed machine. It also sounds like you really shouldn't be thinking of having another child if you're getting overwhelmed with just one as it is.

Yeah I was letting my thoughts out and it felt good so I kept flowing into that situation which was current as of the writing. I've always wanted to breed. I'm the only male with my last name that I've ever met. I've never had a large family. And I fear missing out as I'm getting older. Also sometimes I think it is the main objective to spread ones DNA. I'd hate to die and have no grandchildren. I'm 38. My only kid might not breed as I don't know if he'll ever grow into his own.

But I understand where you are coming from.

Around the Network
snyps said:
VGPolyglot said:
From the title of the thread, I assumed it was going to be about something else, but it seemed to turn into a post about dating. Now, the "eagerness to breed" sounds very strange to me, almost as if you're mainly looking for a breed machine. It also sounds like you really shouldn't be thinking of having another child if you're getting overwhelmed with just one as it is.

Yeah I was letting my thoughts out and it felt good so I kept flowing into that situation which was current as of the writing. I've always wanted to breed. I'm the only male with my last name that I've ever met. I've never had a large family. And I fear missing out as I'm getting older. Also sometimes I think it is the main objective to spread ones DNA. I'd hate to die and have no grandchildren. I'm 38. My only kid might not breed as I don't know if he'll ever grow into his own.

So, you mainly see your children as a means of carrying your lineage? I'd say that's the wrong way of viewing your child.

VGPolyglot said:
snyps said:

Wait, you seriously believe in astrology?

So does much of the world.

VGPolyglot said:
snyps said:

So, you mainly see your children as a means of carrying your lineage? I'd say that's the wrong way of viewing your child.

I'm just going to say that I already mentioned in the OP that I wanted to kick the ball back and forth with them and teach them life's complexities. Feel free to give me your view of having a child.

WolfpackN64 said:
First take responsability of the family you have even if it has fallen apart, then figure out the rest. And take your time. Going into a new relation isn't something easy so reacting quickly and only based on your immediate feelings could have negative repercussions.

I have friends who have autism. Problem is autism ranges in a broad spectrum, so everyone is affected differently. One of these friends' mother hammered social ettiquette into her. Even though she finds it hard to show empathy and intuitively react in social situations, she has had these mannerisms codified out of repetition by her mother and it allows her to seemingly act normal is most social situations. And she's a good person in her heart, so that helps as well. Understanding how autism affects someone is a big deal in learning how to cope and react to it.

I here you. I want to take care of my family first. Problem is, I don't know how to do that. Do I stay a unit until I can financially support myself and them.. then move out and pay child support and do visitation? Cause I think that's the right answer.. please help me out on that.

Everything gets hammered into my kid. It was hard but the first thing he learned how to do was "wave" hi and bye. and he does it with his hand backwards, and needs prompting "say bye". If there's no huge reward like ice cream or what not then he refuses to learn anything new and it takes massive repetition. Sometimes he flat out refuses to do something and then months later he's suddenly an expert at it. 

Thank you for sharing your insight man it really is nice to hear peoples perspectives. I get overwhelmed by my reality and lose focus. So your reply is helpful to see things from a more normal angle.

I don't have Autism however I've recently suspected that I may be on the Asperger's spectrum. It hasn't affected my ability to function but has definitely affected my many interactions that I have had in the past.