By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The FCC repeals its net neutrality rules - The Washington Post

It isn't over yet! We still Have a chance!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/we-can-get-the-fccs-decision-to-kill-net-neutrality_us_5a32df48e4b02bd1c8c60545

Around the Network
vivster said:
EricHiggin said:

I'm afraid of that as well. Fixing the regulations as they were would have been much better, and maybe that's what will end up happening, but doing nothing clearly isn't going to solve the problem. What the right answer is exactly I don't know, but what was in place, did a few things well, but hurt many others.

Usually the right answer in these days is to give big corporations as few rights and as little additional money as possible. Unless there are provisions in that bill that force TelComs to improve their coverage and speeds then nothing will happen at all. All this administration has done so far is making the rich richer and the poor paying more. I don't see how this bill would be anything else since it does not benefit anyone but big TelComs.

Yes and no.

It's not like these big Corps are overly generous, or go out of their way to make less money, but to put myself in their shoes, if the Gov decides to lock my company down so I can only expand little by little, and the small Corps can't expand at all, I'm just going to sit back and milk the system as it stands. Why should I work even harder to try and get around all the red tape if there is little worry of competition?

Now if the Gov lets my company use free market tactics to grow the network as fast as we want, as well as other competitors, but simply steps in if we are getting unreasonable in some way, that makes expanding much easier and important. Now I'm still going to pocket a bunch of money, and I'm not going to only lay fiber in the rural country because that would make for less profits and worse stock gains, but I will expand exponentially more overall than I did with the Gov holding me back regardless.

Out of both of those scenario's, I choose free market, as long as the Gov doesn't just sit back and watch. Pai makes it clear NN title 1 still stands and also allows the FCC to step in when they feel it is necessary. Whether they will or not who knows, but we have to try something. We also have to hope that Trump and the FCC are giving the industry a second chance if you will, and that if they misbehave again, that the FCC will clamp down just as hard, if not harder than they did before with NN. Maybe allowing these big Corps to go wild is the perfect opportunity for Trump to point the finger at them, making it easy for him to create a much better version of NN that forces the industry to make sure the wealth is spread more evenly and that everyone is actually taken care of. Maybe this second chance is enough that the industry stays focused and legit for the most part for next decade.

I can only assume that the FCC/Trump spoke with big Corps and asked how they could make a deal with the NN bill and make it work for everyone, and the Corps simply refused outright. In that situation what do you do? Allow the system to continue to stagnate, slowly but surely, or do you let the Corps and people fight it out, possibly? If the people really and truly stick together, and make their throttling/blocking thoughts known to the Corps/ISP's through cancelling or lowering your packages and prices etc, if necessary, they will change their tune. Is this a hassle? Sure it is. Everything in life is a hassle if you want to look at it like that though. If people stop looking at what's wrong with each other, and start realizing that together they are their own Mega Corp, everyone's worries will become less over time. Working together isn't easy, but when the few large Corps are working together to screw you the people over, the only proper way to continue progress by not involving the Gov, is for the people to work together as well.

The answer in this case is not simple, not matter how you look at it. The truth of the matter is when things need to be done the hard way, most of the time, it's the people that have to deal with it. Unless of course its something like war, then the Gov is more than happy to help as much as they can. Which in reality means they are going to send you the people to fight and fix the problem anyway, so do you need the Gov to force you to fight the large Corps or are you going to do it on your own?

Oh boy, I don't mean to be unpleasant or rude or anything but from what I understand from this Net Neutrality business, you are now going to be your ISP's bitches, my American friends. Not that we are not already to some extent when you see some prices and the quality of some connections inside and outside the US but with this ending of Net Neutrality in the US, well ISP's now pretty much own you.